I received an invoice dated 9/17/04 with charges totaling $300.00 for calls made on 3 different occasions. This is the first I have heard of this service and the first knowledge I have of such calls being placed from my number. In order to be charged, you have to install special software. I have never installed said software from this company.
I contacted customer service via their Web site to request what site was accessed that resulted in the charges. I was emailed the following address:
I tried to access this site and an error message occurred saying the site was not found.
I tried to contact customer service via their online site again. I then got this error message when I tried to post another question or block my line:
Only one trouble ticket may be open at once. Please finish the previous ticket before opening another.
Obviously I cannot reach customer service via the Web site anymore.
When I called the company to find out how to access the online customer service (they won't address billing disputes over the phone) I was told I had to write a letter to the company. I have done so and have not heard anything from them.
Also, when I called, the connection was horrible and the "customer service" rep was of no help. He wasn't even friendly.
It wasn't until I went online and discovered this company, also know by other names, has been scamming people right and left for months now. I'm just another victim.
I also have a $600 long distance phone bill to deal with because of this company. I have gotten most of it credited but one company won't credit me until the One Web Direct Bill people credit me. Sounds like a run-around to me.
Fort Wayne, Indiana