Complaint Review: Ooma

• Updated: Wed, May 29, 2013

• Reported By: maggie — Portland Oregon
Ooma
Internet USA

Ooma Would not let me cancel service. Charged me for higher level of service even though account information on web said "basic." Internet

I finally got around to cancelling my account, knowing that I had been paying the fees & taxes for the time I wasn't using it. I was surprised to see that they were charging me for premier service every month, even though in my account dashboard it shows 'basic' service only & there is an advertisement there trying to get me to upgrade.

When I called to cancel, I was told by the rep that there was no way for me to cancel my account. He said that he could take off premier but that I would still get charged for fees & taxes. I told him I didn't believe that was legal or possible, but he did not relent. It took me more than 13 minutes to convince him that I didn't want to transfer, downgrade, or do anything else other than cancel.

I was extremely clear after just a few minutes and he spent almost 10 minutes trying to convince me that "as long as the device is still active" I would be taxes and fees. I said I didn't care if it was active. He said I had to transfer it. He finally explained that if I wanted it to be not active, then when I transferred it there would be an $80 fee. To which I said "I don't care." He protested a little longer & finally gave in ... only to inform me that he would now transfer me to the person who could cancel my service!!!

Almost $300 and 20 minutes later, I am done with them for good. Well, I am done using the service. I will certainly complain about it to anyone who asks, though.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/29/2013 05:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ooma/internet/Ooma-Would-not-let-me-cancel-service-Charged-me-for-higher-level-of-service-even-though-1054835. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ooma