Complaint Review: Ooma

• Updated: Wed, April 06, 2011

• Reported By:miami Florida
Ooma
www.ooma.com Nationwide U.S.A.

Ooma voice over i bill Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Please get your facts straight before disparaging an upright company like Ooma

*Consumer Suggestion: Required fees? Since when?

I went to Costco and Purchased an Ooma Free home phone service (voip)

The system costs $200.00 dollars. When I tried to register the product the company requires a credit card to activate the system with a new phone number. The agreement forces the user to buy a premium service.

I Called the company to protest the charges of $10.00 monthly fee for a premium service that i do not need. They were not able to help me. They claim that they use the credit info for address verification, but instead they do make you agree to a $10.00 fee for the premium service.

I have spent over 3 hours trying to get a live person on the phone just to be told that my system will not work if i do not use a credit card.

I trust that Costco will act properly by returning my moneys and taking this system of the shelves!

Carlos
miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/02/2009 02:35 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ooma/nationwide/Ooma-voice-over-i-bill-Nationwide-475817. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ooma

Please get your facts straight before disparaging an upright company like Ooma

AUTHOR: lbmofo - (United States of America)

Carlos must have purchased an Ooma model that required Regulatory Recovery Fees (RRF or taxes).

Both Costco product brochure and product retail box would have made the RRF requirement clear to Carlos.

Why do I have to provide a credit card when I create my account?

The activation process requires a valid U.S. credit or debit card to link to My Ooma, the online account youll be setting up. Dont worry about hidden charges and fees -- with Ooma there are none! During the activation process youll learn exactly how much the taxes and fees for your local area will be each month. That's all you'll pay unless you choose to sign up for additional services from Ooma.

Contrary to what Carlos said, Ooma DOES NOT force Premier service purchase.  During activation process, Ooma makes it abundantly clear what to expect and what to do before the end of Premier service free trial.

What happens at the end of my free trial?

Starting two weeks before the end of your free trial, we'll send you several emails to let you know that your trial is expiring soon. If you don't wish to continue your subscription to Ooma Premier, simply click the link in one of those emails to log into your My Ooma account and opt out. If you take no action, your account will default to a monthly subscription to Ooma Premier, and your credit card will be billed for the first month of service.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Required fees? Since when?

AUTHOR: James - (USA)

I am a very satified user of the OOMA VIOP phone service and question your experience with the initial setup. The service requires no credit cards for the intial activation and as of August 2009 my setup was initiated within minutes by registering my MAC address (unique number or "address" of the hardware), selecting a phone number and connecting the hardware.

I agree that the service is geared towards enticing new users to create an account for international calling and use of the "premium" features, however this is not required and the unlimited (3000 minutes) of nationwide calling can be enjoyed with no further costs thereafter.

Assuming you are in the USA (I.E. Costo buyer) I would guess that you may have jumped right into the pay feature or do not have an understanding of how to get the system activated in a free capacity.

If you wish, please offer more detail as to why a credit card is required. To my knowledge, this has never been an issue.