Complaint Review: Open Book Bar Prep

• Updated: Wed, February 02, 2011

• Reported By: DLON — Los Angeles California United States of America
Open Book Bar Prep
1625 W. Olympic Blvd Suite 910 Los Angeles, California United States of America

Open Book Bar Prep Bobby Doustkam Absolutely fraudulent in both the course and methods. DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT!!! Los Angeles, California

*Consumer Comment: Thank You Open Book Bar Prep

This was the biggest sham in regards to both the advertising and overall services offered by the teacher/tutor Bobby Doustkam and his class Open Book Bar Prep.When I first enrolled Doustkam acted as if his class was going to be "packed" and I would lose my spot if I did not enroll for his Bar Prep class and assured that he was full proof.

Against my better judgment I enrolled in the class under the pretense that he was going to offer me a bar grader as promised, that he had a 100% bar passage rate and most importantly that his class was unique because of the attention each student was to receive. After coming to class the first day I noticed only two students, but he promised more were to come and immediately demanded payment.

After I paid him I received no invoice or indication that payment was made. I didn't think much of it because I was studying for the bar exam and I did not want to focus on such issues.

Once the class commenced I noticed I had made a serious mistake. Doustkam was never on time and failed to deliver on almost any promise. He acted more like a used car salesman then a instructor and before I could retract or rescind the contract it was too late. All other bar-prep courses had already started and it was impossible for me to enroll. And to make matters worse he had informed me in passing that non of his past students who took the bar examination passed. This was truly a nightmare like you would not believe. Not only was I enrolled in a terrible and extremely over priced class, but I had no way out.

Doustkam's entire course was based on what Barbri offers and is twice the price with non of the service. I am now in litigation with Doustkam to get my money back which I paid.

I strongly urge and advise any student who is even considering or contemplating taking this class to really take a better look at what he is offering. This class is nothing but a sham and an attempt for an attorney who could not make it in the real world to prey on law students insecurities. He is by and far one of the most unethical people I have ever come accross.

Every statement made by Doustkam in his marketing materials or otherwise have been entirely false and I feel ashamed that I did not think it through. Additionally, read the other post online they all say the same thing. STAY AWAY!

Best.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/02/2011 03:03 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Open-Book-Bar-Prep/Los-Angeles-California-90015/Open-Book-Bar-Prep-Bobby-Doustkam-Absolutely-fraudulent-in-both-the-course-and-methods-DO-689966. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Open Book Bar Prep

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

On my first attempt of the California Bar Exam I took Kaplan Bar Prep. I did everything that the prep course asked me to do including; attending lectures, reading one hundred page long outlines, doing MBE questions
and submitting essays and performance tests (PTs) online. Each essay that came
back from Kaplan was either a mark of meets the standard expected or above
the standard expected. Each performance test that I submitted was given a well
above the standard expected mark. After sitting the bar on my first attempt,
guess what..none of my essays or performance tests met the standard expected!

After one week of attending tutoring with Open Book Bar I knew exactly why I had not passed on my first attempt. Bobby Doustkam, Open Book Bars Tutor, walked me through exactly where I had been going wrong. My problem
was not so much knowing or understanding the law, but the way in which I was
structuring and setting up my essays. It is no secret that the California Bar
Exam is VERY harsh when it comes to the grading of essays and PTs.  Bobby showed me exactly what the bar examiners
are looking for, and where I could score easy points through doing a step by
step analysis in my essays. He made writing the perfect essay a breeze. Over
the months which he worked with me my essays began looking more and more like
the model answers which the bar posts on its website. These are answers that
have scored highly on test day, and Bobby can show you how to replicate that exact writing style.

Part of the change in my writing style was due to the fact that Bobby worked really hard with me and a small group of students on issue spotting. This is an area that means the difference between passing and failing.
I started to see how I was not thinking about the issues in the fact patterns
creatively enough to spot the less obvious issues. Bobby uses a method called drills
to teach this. Drills is where you sit down in a small group, take 15 minutes
to outline your essay answer. He then walks you through exactly how the answer
should look, and points out the irrelevant parts of our outline that are not
going to score you points. It is amazing how much you miss in terms of issue
spotting and essay structure when you dont have someone to guide you! On the
day of the exam I had practiced outlining so much I was able to have my whole
answer planned out in only 10 minutes for each essay.

Bobby had also worked with me on timing issues. We did 6
days of simulated essay and PT exams. The first few simulated essays didnt go
so good. Even after all that practice, timing issues were still holding me
back, however I was able to get this sorted before test day with Bobbys help.

As for PTs it was clear from my first few attempts that I didnt have a clue what I was doing. Bobby does not BS you into thinking you are doing well when you are not. He worked with me one-on-one to show me a very
simple method of writing the perfect PT in the 3 hours you are given. If my
answer did not  read exactly like a model answer I was given a mark of 55. Bobby is as harsh in marking as any Bar
Examiner. After approximately two months those 55s turned into 70s :-)

With MBEs Bobby worked with me on my particular problem
areas of the law. He also gave me a set schedule on how many MBE questions I
needed to do to get my mark up. We also worked on timing issues to make sure I
would get finished in time on test day, which was a major problem for me on my
first sitting of the exam.

If you are willing to work hard, and take direction from this very able and knowledgeable tutor, then this is the course for you!