Complaint Review: Orbital Publishing Group

Orbital Publishing Group
Reno, NV Reno, Nevada United States of America

Orbital Publishing Group Magazine renewal scam Reno, Nevada

*Author of original report: Taunton Press did the right thing

In January 2011 my wife received a renewal notice to her Threads magazine. I wrote a check to PBA-Threads, as instructed, and mailed it. The check cleared my bank, and the cancelled check indicates it was deposited in Reno NV by Orbital Publishing Group.

Two months later I received a notice from the magazine saying it was time to renew. I sent the notice back saying I had a cancelled check for the renewal. They contacted me and said they had no record of it.

Taunton Press, the totally reputable publisher of Threads, told me by phone that Orbital Publishing Group is not an authorized agent, that other subscribers had complained too, and that their legal department was looking into it.

If I had paid for this by credit card, I could do a chargeback transaction. But I don't think Orbital gave me that option on their fake invoice. They must know about chargebacks, too.

The money I paid them is gone, and I will learn to be more careful in the future. If I cannot renew by credit card, I'll take an extra step to verify with the publisher before I make a payment to anybody.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/30/2011 10:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Orbital-Publishing-Group/Reno-Nevada-/Orbital-Publishing-Group-Magazine-renewal-scam-Reno-Nevada-711882. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Orbital Publishing Group

Taunton Press did the right thing

AUTHOR: Nooschkum in Seattle - (USA)

Today we received a letter from Taunton Press with a check that was submitted to them by "Business Payment Center." Taunton endorsed the check over to us. It is for $10 less than we paid. In the letter, Taunton Press named several companies, not including Orbital Publishing, that "have mounted an aggressive campaign sending renewal or notice of renewal solicitations to current and prospective subscribers.

A printed postcard that was enclosed with the letter from Taunton gives us a little glimpse into how this scam operates. The postcard was copyrighted 2008 by Taunton Press and offered a new subscriptions for $32.95. Orbital Publishing Group got its hands on some of these postcards ... or at least one of them ... and after filling it out with my wife's name and address, mailed it to Taunton in an envelope with a business check for $32.95.  Orbital had charged us $10 more than that, and as I said in the original report, I was dumb enough to pay their bill.

To Taunton Press, the postcard and check probably looked like my wife had subscribed and hired a payment service to pay the thing.

In its letter to us, Taunton Press listed some of the business entities that are doing this, including:
Publisher's Billing Exchange
Publishers Billing Association
Magazine Billing Network
Magazine Distribution Services
National Magazine Services Inc.
Magazine Billing Services Inc.

"We have contacted these entities and demanded they immediately cease soliciting for subscriptions to any of our magazines. Despite our demands the unauthorized activity continues, and you are likely to receive further solicitations from these entities.

"Taunton has not authorized these entities to solicit or sell subscriptions to Threads magazine or to collect funds from subscribers on Taunton Press' behalf," the letter said.

I hope this can be a warning to other consumers.