Complaint Review: Original Moving and Storage

Original Moving and Storage
11401 Grandview Ave., Suite 5 Silver Spring, Maryland United States of America

Original Moving and Storage Moving Scam Silver Spring, Maryland

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Revised Written Estimate

*Consumer Comment: They are a total ripoff.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: A minus rating BBB

*Consumer Comment: Aaahhh the moving industry

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Rebuttal to Claim of Moving Scam

They did NOT come to see the furniture to give accurate estimate in advance. After
quoting 629, they arrived at my place and said that it would actually
be roughly $1100, for a 1 bedroom apartment. I had no alternative, as my lease
had expired, so I had to use them to move that day.  I had already paid
$100 deposit and a couple of hundred dollars in pre-ordered moving
materials that were to be credited back to my account.

I even shortened the original move time by changing the unload
destination to my brother's house, which is much closer than my
original unload destination.  So, the fee actually would have been much higher if I hadn't changed locations.

During the unloading, the head of the moving crew became upset with
my brother, who was helping to move, and the moving crew threatened to
LEAVE WITH MY PERSONAL PROPERTY STILL INSIDE THE TRUCK.

I had to
call the head of the company (Eli) and the original sales rep (Sarit)
during the middle of my move to get them to convince the crew not to
leave with half of my stuff.  The distraction too about a half hour to
resolve, which I also had to pay for.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/18/2011 04:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Original-Moving-and-Storage/Silver-Spring-Maryland-20902/Original-Moving-and-Storage-Moving-Scam-Silver-Spring-Maryland-754630. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Original Moving and Storage

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Revised Written Estimate

AUTHOR: jennifer - (United States of America)

In rebuttal to this most recent complaint, I would like to point out exactly what occurred.  When our company gives an estimate over the phone, we base the estimate on average, as we cannot see how much stuff you actually have and will not know that until the day of the move. When the mover saw the amount of things that this customer had, and saw that
packing needed to be done in order to protect the items, they provided him with a Revised Written Estimate, which stated the cost of the packing materials needed as well as the revised number of hours that were needed to complete the job. They gave the customer an option of whether they wanted to proceed with the move or cancel. If our company was a total ripoff as the customer stated, we would have simply completed the move and approached him at the end with a tripled bill
that he would have been forced to pay.

They are a total ripoff.

AUTHOR: guy who wanted to move - (United States of America)

I tried to use Original Moving and Storage recently. They gave a quote over the phone that they did not remotely honor. They tried to TRIPLE charge me when they arrived to move my property. Not only that, but they also tried to say that packing supplies would be $1000!!!!! For a couple rolls of tape and for them to wrap blankets around furniture that had to be moved. TOTAL SCAM, bait and switch...call it what you want, but I would steer clear of this company. I called another moving company, who came and moved me for less than half the cost.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

A minus rating BBB

AUTHOR: jennifer - (United States of America)

I am replying to the post that was written about us by an anonymous person that never did any business with us and probably had a bad experience with another moving company. You cannot assume that all moving companies are the same.Our records speak for themselves, whether it is in the BBB report or the fact that we hold a pro-mover certificate by AMSA (American Moving and Storage Association), as well as the good reviews posted on our website. The report in the BBB is showing 15 complaints in the last 3 years, please reconsider that we do an average of 1500 jobs a year, bringing the complaint percentage to around 1%. There are always unhappy customers that will go and complain for insiginant things, but because  of our great customer service, every complaint has been replied to and taken care of. If anyone would like to consider using Original Moving and Storage for their move in the future, we will be more than happy to provide them wit ha reference list, of very satisfied customers, whether you are moving locally or long distance.

Aaahhh the moving industry

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

BBB member and A- rated, but the BBB still had to get involved 15 times over last 3 years, with at least 3 of those customers still unsatisfied, so sooner or later it stood to reason one of your customers would resort to posting here. It seems with movers, even a BBB membership can't be taken at face value for deciding who to go with, especially given the Globe Moving situation posted here numerous times. Also, when I see certain names mentioned in such posts, the hairs on my neck stand at attention as red flags, since certain groups I shall leave unnamed tend to dominate the dirty players in this game. This is a generally dirty, untrustworthy industry, and I lean more towards believing the poster is real than believing its just a competitor. The story just doesn't sound like somebody faking it.

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Rebuttal to Claim of Moving Scam

AUTHOR: jennifer - (United States of America)

The person who has filed this complaint has not given their name, job number, or any other relevant identifying information that would allow for my company to retrieve the contract and review whatever incident may have occurred with the move. They chose to be anonymous.

Therefore, this person may well be one of my company's competitors, who has posted this claim in an effort to ruin my company's reputation. This would not be the first time this has happened. If you are indeed a former customer, than you need to provide your information so that we can confirm that something like that ever happened.