I was called at home by a guy named Aaron Gallagher saying that he was with a "501c3 charity" called Our Kids that purports to help children. I told him I was on the DNC list, and he said that he was with a charity that helps children and the DNC list does not apply. After a conversation where he repeatedly assured me he was legit, I started to look his organization up on the internet while he was on the phone with me.
Some things I found:
* Even though Aaron said he was only an employee of Our Kids, the Our Kids website (http://OURK.ORG) is registered to Aaron Gallagher personally (google "whois ourk.org"). He even used what appears to be his personal apartment address.
* He repeatedly talks about his "Board of Directors" in an attempt to show that he's merely a cog in some big time charity. Yet google searches for any information on Our Kids yields only a Facebook page (set up and run by, you guessed it, Aaron Gallagher). [continued below]....
..... The Our Kids website does not list any directors either, naturally.
* The stuff Aaron posts to the Our Kids Facebook page and his personal Facebook page talk a lot about how much he hates Obama and how Obama is running the country. Not scammy in and of itself, but definitely not something you usually find on a charity's page purporting to be raising money only to "help children".
* Their website screams scam; right up to and including the "Verified by Paypal" badge that displays a yahoo.com email address when you click through to the link.
* Aaron claimed on the phone that they've been around for many years, but their website was registered on 05-Aug-2010. I guess two years is "many years" but come on.
* The IRS website search for 501c3's (http://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/) did not return any exact matches results for "Our Kids" or "Our Kids Inc". There's a "Support Our Kids" but neither Aaron, nor his site claim to be that organization. They even copyright their site "Our Kids Inc".
* When I challenged Aaron on what I was finding, he lost his temper and started threatening me saying he has attorneys, blah blah blah. This is obviously a scam that this moron came up with so that he can try to get around the DNC list. You get a call from this guy, just hang up the phone.