Complaint Review: Outskirts Press, Inc., Brent Sampson

• Updated: Sun, December 16, 2012

• Reported By: RWS — Colorado Springs Colorado United States of America
Outskirts Press, Inc., Brent Sampson
10940 S. Parker Road 515 Parker, Colorado United States of America

Outskirts Press, Inc., Brent Sampson none Outskirts Press Scam Parker, CO , Colorado

OUTSKIRTS PRESS SCAM:

The 9 months experience of deception, delay, needless repetition, waiting, so called misunderstanding, lack of consideration for my input, intent to do harm all seem to be an attempt to have me give up on the publishing of my book.

This book was to be a follow-up of my first book in 2007 and was to be of the same format and follow the same guidelines of the first book.  I thought this being the case the book would be able to move to publication quite readily with little delay or complication.

The acknowledgement of payment was sent Feb. 5,
2010, (2) and ready for Approve Production.
All requested information was selected in my Authors Center and the notation that this book was to have the exact same format as the 2007 book, including the cover and the page makeup.
The only change was the cover color and the photo. (9) After several requests to confirm the cover color and photo the cover design was finally approved on May 7, (17) which was 13 weeks into the contract.  And then I got another pitch to spend $300.00, for a custom design.

On June 10, (18) I sent a complaint that we were in the 19th week and only the cover was determined.  At this point where were the proofs for me to read for any corrections??  And when can I expect this??

My cause for breach of contract and damages is because of consistent disregard, for whatever reason, the promise of 10 to 13 weeks for production that has extended into 9 months of deliberate delays.  I have no idea as to why this deliberate posture was taken.  If it was because of the content of the book or hoping I would just go away.  In any event it was a planned posture to do harm to me as a client.  I was deprived of 8 to 9 months of having my book marketable and available to the public, therefore my reasoning for the suit being at $7,500.00.

To complicate the association it was difficult to communicate as in phoning only voice-mail would come up with no response, Outskirts Press had no physical office address just a box number at a UPS station.  When the Douglas County
sheriff tried to serve the summons he failed to deliver as the box number was all he had.  Luckily that I lived nearby
that I could find where Brent Sampson physically resided so he could be served.  The only evidence I found was that of his personal residence so I assume he must be working from his house.

It seems even the cast of characters in their operation are dubious if they are real people or made-up as being their staff
when only 3 or 4 people run the whole business.  A business run totally through computer and internet with a fictitious  staff and a non-existent printing facility.   Through the local library I found Brent Sampsons residential address and found he was apparently working from the basement of his home with at best 3-4 people and no real physical offices.  His book printing and binding must be let out the lowest bidder and they set the final format of the book???

To each delay my response was immediate and corrected by the next day in order to keep the production going.

GALLEYS OR PROOFS

Finally on October 10, I was notified that the proofs were ready for my review and to make any corrections necessary which were my responsibility.

Over the course of 8 months I sent 4 different CDs of the book as none seemed to suit their production team and always they complained that the CDs couldnt be used as compiled??  On June 6, I received an email from Jones that the book designer had started the manuscript and now the double talk started about objects/images and to resubmit in Word Format  also best if the text was not in bold and italics (of which there were none) and to remove the page numbers or I would be charged for their removal??

Again I asked if they had looked at my first book to produce it just the same.

On July 1, (20) I sent an ultimatum as to continuing with the project and because of the ongoing time element found them at breach of contract.  No response.

On July 29, I receive an email that they couldnt work with the current CD and that they needed it in straight text??  At this point I sent the entire book to them in an email under an attachment on August 10,(24) and Jones confirmed they could
work with this.  Why did it take 6 months to tell me to send by email the manuscript?

Finally, on October 10, (24) I was notified that the proofs were ready for my corrections. This was almost 9 months into the contract.

In reviewing the proofs the contents of 250 pages did not comply with the page numbers hence they had 253 pages and didnt match the contents.  The basic pages nowhere nearly matched the format of the first book as I had requested it was a totally different layout and unacceptable.

Apparently Outskirts doesnt have its own press but uses several printers in the Denverarea to publish for them and it is hit or miss as to who gets the job and no continuity when a follow-up book is published.

I started correcting the proofs October 10, (25) when it dawned on me that even when I completed this part it could well be another 3 months, as the project had been moving,  before I had the book in hand.

At this point, moving toward a year, I gave up and decided to go to court.  Outskirts Press with malice aforethought to delay or corrupt the progress by contempt.  This was predetermination to commit an act without legal justification or excuse, a malicious design to injure, an intent to do harm.

At this juncture it is apparent that Brent Sampsons scam is to lead a client on a goose chase for weeks and months until they give up and do not get any refund for the contract.
    Luckily I lived in the county just south of his operation and took him to small claims court where the suit was resolved.  I just think of other authors who have been scammed by him as they had no access to him as he keeps it well hidden.

Brent Sampson is an ongoing lie, establishing a fictitious & devious business.

He may be contacted at:   10940 S. Parker Road 515   888-672-6657
                                              Parker, CO  80134, Douglas County

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2012 10:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Outskirts-Press-Inc-Brent-Sampson/Parker-Colorado-80134/Outskirts-Press-Inc-Brent-Sampson-none-Outskirts-Press-Scam-Parker-CO-Colorado-982815. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Outskirts Press, Inc., Brent Sampson