• Report: #142052

• Submitted: Mon, May 09, 2005
  • Updated: Tue, February 26, 2008

• Reported By:Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
PDS Garage Door Service
1159 George Washington Blvd Akron, Ohio U.S.A.

PDS Garage Door Service ripoff, con, high pressure sales, won't give phone quotes only partial, also charge surcharges Akron Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: Any attempts to dis ban a band of thieves?

*Consumer Suggestion: employer responsibilty - How can the owners sleep at night?

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Crazy.. You'd have to be to tolerate PDS

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Finally The Truth Comes Out

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: re: Lazy Ol Tech

*UPDATE Employee: Good Parts Vs Bad Parts.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Good response - tell us where does Precision buy these far superior products that you are selling

*UPDATE Employee: Lazy Old Tech!

I am a former PDS employee, and I wan't to help anyone who need to know the truth about Precision Door Service. The current owner Dale Fuller Of five franchises and also the only person in the whole PDS chain that trains for two weeks all PDS employees from every state. The Training facility is in Akron Ohio. Dale give all PDS emplyees a two week Course and three of those days are how to get peoples money with a list of every scenario and how to address it. He then says they are certified lol!!! I have been doing commercial and residential for over half a decade and I can assure you it takes more than two weeks to learn this trade.

I was on a commercial job through PDS without the proper safety equipment, I fell 15 feet on my head all documented in my hospital report. I was then shortly after fired for refusing commercial work I am now scared of hieghts. The company has a weekly call average employees are suposed to keep of $400 dollars per call.

At the end of the week they total up your calls and devide the amount you made by the amount of calls to get your average example, 5 calls @ $400 is $2000 devided by five is $400 call average. If you didn't get this you would be reprimanded. This is just the beginning, when the other techs would get a customer for $400 or more they had a code that says "I smaked another one for $?. We made 20% comission of sale I worked for other companies and they were all pretty honest, precision is out to get $400 or more from you no matter what trust me, I could not be dishonest thats why i had a low call average and another reason they fired me.

Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/09/2005 12:14 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PDS-Garage-Door-Service/Akron-Ohio-44313/PDS-Garage-Door-Service-ripoff-con-high-pressure-sales-wont-give-phone-quotes-only-par-142052. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PDS Garage Door Service

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Any attempts to dis ban a band of thieves?

AUTHOR: Mr-miogi - (U.S.A.)

Has there been any authorities to make any attempt to withdraw PDS? Is anyone doing anything. They will have their day in court very very soon so I hear. Make sure you get front row seats. Wouldn"t that be so cool if most of the folks from this site went to their trial?

#2 Consumer Suggestion

employer responsibilty - How can the owners sleep at night?

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

Following the PDS employee who got injured in a fall... In many states a employer has to provide ladders, safety equiptment, and ALL POWER TOOLS. In almost all cases the employees have to furnish hand tools.

I have to agree 2 weeks of training is no where near enough to keep the employee safe and provide good service to the home owner. I have managed a door company and it was our pratice to have a employee work with someone else for at least two months. Sure we took a loss as far as labor goes, but our service was better, call backs are few and far between and our injury rate is verry low.

Rember getting injured or maimed is not worth it! Door work can be dangerous even to a employee with several years of service behind him!

A note to Keith: not all door companys are the same or like that and I am sorry that you had such a bad time in out trade. A tradesman should NEVER be pressured to make excessive sales or take advantage of customers. $400 service calls every time??? That is so not right! How can the owners sleep at night?

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Crazy.. You'd have to be to tolerate PDS

AUTHOR: Dale - (U.S.A.)

Hey Crazy, what fantasy world are you living in? PDS products are NOT better than the rest. You get your supplies from the same companies as others and change the boxes to look like they came from PDS themselves. PDS derives from falsifying information to the consumers, from trademark infringement, etc. That's why the top manufactors don't deal with and would never deal with PDS. So, no in no way does PDS have "far superior products..." than everyone else.

I have been a "Professional" installer for 13 years. PDS's 2 week BS training, that's just what it is. You can not possibly train ANYONE to work on doors and motors in 2 weeks, especially if you admit that 2 1/2 days were spent on sales. It takes (even those who learn fast) 1 to 3 months to be properly trained in this field. 2 Weeks is asking for someone to get hurt.

You also should know that the federal government impliments the proper safety requirements for all construction, home improvement companies etc. PDS gives W2's not 1099's, therefor making each employee just that "an employee" not a sub-contractor. Even sub-contractor's hired to work solely for a specific company must abide by these rules and regulations. PDS fails in all aspects. You can preach you BS all you want, but everyone knows the truth by now. The poster should file a complaint with his state and federal's OSHA. PDS will love that.

Then he has also can file a complaint with his state's Wage and Hour division within the state's Department of Labor and Licensing. PDS needs to remember, an employee is just that and the obsticals adhered by PDS fro these employees is against all state and federal laws, rules and regulations.

Like I said, you must be crazy to actually believe in their lies. Tell us in about 6 months were you are in the company then. I garantee you'll be here in the same possition as all us other former employees.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Finally The Truth Comes Out

AUTHOR: Bonita - (U.S.A.)

Im glad to see that someone finally had the guts to tell the truth about the training or lack of.

I worked for a market for a short period of time, (will not mention where for obvious reasons) that actually did their best to be an honest company and stayed away from the Precision Way. They had very low prices and great customer service. They did their best to keep prices low for their customers with an average ticket being well under $250 for major repairs. They only fixed what needed to be fixed. Never bullied a customer to buy what they didnt need. Of course they are no longer in business because there bills were so astonomical from mandatory stuff they didnt need that they couldnt keep up so the lost everything. So much for being honest with this biz.

The techs when hired, would ride with the most experienced techs for 2 weeks then go to traning if it was available but when they came out of training they required an additional month of training just to UNLEARN what they learned during the classes and in the end just didnt work out and had to be replaced. It was a vicious cycle.

I feel really bad for those that have been ripped off by this company but I am thankful that I worked for one PDS local that was honest and cared about their customers unfortunately they are no longer around.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

re: Lazy Ol Tech

AUTHOR: Keith - (U.S.A.)

Nice of you to character assasinate a person and situation you know nothing about. First of all, I was told by my manager at precision that he would supply my safety equipment, and a helper as part of a deal for me to start the commercial end of his business. He never followed through with his end but still wanted to have me do commercial work which ultimately led to my fall. Oh by the way since your still green in the business you wouldn't know the dangers in commercial doors your training at precision is a joke, two weeks and send you out lake a lamb to the slaughter.Your still a rookie you haven't had enough time to know danger yet.And obviously Your too dumb to know you have been brainwashed by crooks, oh yeah your not 30 yet your a kid still, you can convince these innocent homeowners that your legite but I know better oh by the way there are alot of backyard door guys but you won't get call backs with a reputable door company, that is why they are still in business after 40 and 50 years unlike pricisions 14 year rip off schemes and name changes. Funny you should say no callbacks, my entire time at precision I was going to my managers callbacks all the time he didn't even know how to install a door the right way they fell on peoples cars I had to wipe you rookie door guys butts all the time and bail all the techs in my office out because they were so green like you how long has your franchise been around? Not long hu? you ever watch 60 minutes precision is the one of many names of the same door company once they are busted they change names and scam all over again. How do you look in the mirror dude I am not a thief playing on peoples fears to get a sale your all liars at precision and its all a scam people trust me.

Good Parts Vs Bad Parts.

AUTHOR: Crazy - (U.S.A.)

If you are a real Ex Employee of Precision then you would know where we get our products. Get your brains in some fresh air areas. It does matter 100% where you Buy your Parts either. You can buy better parts from different manufactures. You can buy different spring sized from any garage company but we however put on a much longer life spring. Now I dont know about where you live but where I live the standard spring size others put on is 10,000 cycles. Ours are 33,000. Big difference.

All I know is this. When I go into a garage I typicaly do tell the customer we are by NO MEANS the cheapest company in town but the best! I explain what we put on vs others. Most people know we are not the cheapest because we have the BIGGEST AD in the phone book and if you want cheap then call a small ad! I have lots of customers tell me they knew we would not be cheap because our all our advertising. We also do it RIGHT the 1st time. I go to lots of people homes where a company had just been out there a month before us and I have to refix what they did. You pay for what you get without ripping someone off.

Are our prices high? I would say yes a little high on some stuff and right on for other stuff.At one time I contacted a very close friend of mine who ran 2 of the biggest corporations in the country. I asked him when we raised prices if we were price gaulging (sp). He knew the parts quality diffence 1st hand since I took care of his door which made a huge difference. He said you can have your prices what you want them to be as long as you don't overprice your price sheet. He also asked me do customers pay this without hesitation? I told him YES and only 2 people in a year complained about price. Most home owners had other companies out there and knew there is a price difference but had enough of others taking up there time to be home for another repair.

Like I said earlier. There may be some franchises overcharging thats not unfair. I charge fair prices but we also go our of our way to do other stuff for the customer too. I always do free lube and tune up for customers(especially wood doors). I tighten all the bolts and lube up opener rail and make adj on chain if needed. I do this because I know they pay more so I give more. You cant blame necessarily the company totally but the technicians who go in replace rollers at a high cost and leave and not do the other little work that sometimes might mean a stupid call back.

I grew up around high end business people. My dad ran a couple famous corporations and when I talked to him about this he said the same as my friend above. However he said if you give better customer service and a reliable product then the prices we are charging were fair. He knows our prices and he even price checked where he lives which is in a different state and knows we are more expensive. He had a company out to work on his door a while back before I got into this. He told me they did not give him good service and he will not go back to them though they have the best rep in there town.

Thanks for catching my mistake of Sales not sells!

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

I guess since your so smart you meant to say " he teaches SALES" not sells.

So tell us where does Precision buy these far superior products that you are selling these customers. Are they making their own products, or buying them from the same companies every other door company is buying parts from? Yeah that's what I figured they buy their stuff from the exact same place every other company buys from so just keep telling yourself your doing a great thing by overcharging your customers because you work for commission and use your own truck. Your getting suckered just like every other employee at PDS using your own stuff and sending the proceeds to PDS. Good job genius,

Lazy Old Tech!

AUTHOR: Crazy - (U.S.A.)

This tech is defintely not too smart! Cant even spell (no offense). I am a tech with PDS and I see this as Laziness. Okay 1st we supply our own tools, trucks and gas and that is why we are paid a percentage which is only reasonable. Now how do you in your right mind say the you fell 15 feet and did not have the right safety equiptment? YOU SUPPLY YOUR OWN TOOLS and if that means to make your job SAFER than you need to supply safety tools as well! PDS is huge on Safety. You fell due to your lack of own safety. I have never been injured in a job and I am almost in my 30's. Safety Baby! Yeah!

Dale Fuller does "Train" and trains well. After my training with Dale I had the Knowledge to go out and do the job better than when I started. Dale teaches the basics in class then by the 2nd week teaches the in depth skills. He drills you on part names, functions and proper installation. Its not a time to slack off.

Yes you are right he does teach sells for 2 1/2 days which is just mostly going over the product differences and how they are made!!!. Because EVERY COMPANY SELLS, Moron!!!!!!Can I say Moron in this rebuttal??? We just sell amazingly better parts and sometimes you need to know how to sell a customer in order to get the door fixed "properly" the "1st TIME". If you fix it right the 1st time then it saves the customer more hassle and the company money from having to do "Free Call Backs" when a customer thinks you did not fix it right the 1st time.

It's takes more than 2 weeks he wrote to learn this trade. All trades it takes more than 2 weeks. Hell it took me near 2 years to feel very comfortable backing in a semi in tight areas and over a year to feel comfortable just driving into new cities. I still learn about doors and I been here over a year. It's Called PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!! Learn IT!!!

Look at it like this. A baby is going to swing on a swing set and the Cable is partially freyed and the bearing above are worn or rusty, are you going to let your child sit and swing or educate them thats it's unsafe and the problems that can occur if it's not fixed proberly the 1st time. $600 is much better then a $8000 doctor bill one of my customers had from a garage door injury this summer trying to fix it on his own.

I don't know about you but I go back to a lot of CALL BACKS!!!! Call Backs from OTHER COMPANIES just Weeks and Months after they were there. You pay for a price and you pay for what you get! Now this does not mean you leave a job unfinished or that you do rip off someone. But if you tell them the price up front and "educate" the customer properly then $500 or $600 is not a lot when the customer will not have to see you again if you did it all with the best parts. Sorry I get defensive because I see DAILY the crap others put on and what I do. Customers LOVE ME!!!!! Actually our product!!!!!!

PDS is not a rip off company. Or at least for the franchise I work for and the other few owners I know and I do know Dale. There may be some bad seeds on occasion and I know PDS has pulled them from there markets. I know this because one market opened that they took back from a guy and I want that market if I can someday could afford it. Sears, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Wayne Dalton, Overhead Door ect... all have there faults and I felt Ripped of by some of these companies but you know what, I wasn't. I was too Cheap to pay for the best. Why do they put on crap parts on doors now a days instead the best parts like us? maybe it's because Americans Whines (nice way of saying it) so much about cost that companies put on cheaper stuff. Then America Whines about it being cheap parts! I mean whats the Deal? Grow up America and Grow up Disgruntled unfit for the safety harness ex employee. 90% of the problems are people who cant afford to own a home do! So they whine about cant affording nice stuff. So companies have to find alternative cheap parts. Go Figure!

Sorry you did not have a better experience and I hope you go out and start a rock solid company with the best Parts and I hope you can keep the Price Down for the consumer while paying your employees there fair share. Oh and be sure to do the JOB RIGHT the 1ST time!

Take Care Ya'll and Best of Luck. However Luck is only done by how hard we work and thrive to Succeed!