Complaint Review: PECO

• Submitted: Fri, April 17, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, April 17, 2009

• Reported By:overbrook Pennsylvania
PECO
2301 Market Street P.O. Box 8699 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

PECO Cap rate settlements recouped in finance charges? Philadelphia Pennsylvania

I am a low income person who like many others has been hit hard by this recession.A year ago I had PECO disconnect my service because I was moving. I neglected to pay the final bill of $400. I did not have the money. I try not to apply to special needs programs, but I should have.

This year I was able to find part time employment and am able to have an apartment of my own again.
When I tried to pay my old bill of $400, they said it had more than doubled to $850. This was supposed to be late charges, and 'charge off' fees. Meaning they possibly received a benefit or tax help because of it, I'm not sure.I had 3 days to pay that unexpected money.

I scrambled and got it, borrowed and begged. I paid it. After taking the payment the very rude man said he was assessing me another charge of $250 for a deposit.
I am floored! This brings my total to 1150 for a 400 dollar service.

Today I received my first bill, issued 3 days ago for 20 days of service.I used $33 in 20 days. I am very frugal, I am trying to keep the bills down! My bill had a $102 late fee on it, a $6 fee and an $8 fee. Thats $366 plus my meager $33 in actual service. They made a cleverly worded 1000% mark up on our staple needs. They got 225% of my late bill already. They got a 'charge off' credit from the taxes or something too. They sold the debt to bill collectors, who still call and haven't been notified they have been scammed too.

Please tell me is this legal? Can I run my house on batteries? I can't afford these new 'low' rates at all. HELP!!
Thanks PECO.

Tina
overbrook, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/17/2009 04:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PECO/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19101/PECO-Cap-rate-settlements-recouped-in-finance-charges-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-444551. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PECO