Complaint Review: PEP BOYS SUPERSTORE - Pep Boys Automotive Supercenter

• Submitted: Mon, January 30, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, April 26, 2011

• Reported By:Newtown Square Pennsylvania
PEP BOYS SUPERSTORE - Pep Boys Automotive Supercenter
2916 Springfield Rd Store # Broomall, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

PEP BOYS SUPERSTORE - Pep Boys Automotive Supercenter ripoff, liars, scam artists, they know how to increase SALES by not performing services that they sell, poor service Broomall Pennsylvania

*Consumer Suggestion: Simply go to another Pep Boys to have your Road Hazard honored.

*Author of original report: Staffing Problems or Poor Customer Service

*Consumer Comment: Maybe they did have a staffing problem.

I just wanted to make you aware that on Sunday, October 2, 2005, at approximately 11:45 AM I arrived at the Pep Boys store located at 2916 Springfield Road, Broomall, PA 19063, to have a tire repaired. I had already taken the wheel off (the vehicle has chrome wheels and I didn't want it to be damaged by driving on it) of the vehicle and had left the vehicle on the side of the road on a jack.

I arrived at the service area and waited several minutes before a service rep (Brian) appeared and asked how he could help me I explained that I had a flat tire and needed it repair. Brain hesitated and stated that he may be able to repair it by closing approximately 6 PM (6 hours to get a tire repair?) but he couldn't guarantee it.

I again explain the situation to him but it seem like he was getting sharp with his answers and were very short. I informed him that I was going to contact the Pep Boys main office he didn't care and why should he....

At the present time I have six vehicles and three of them have Pep Boys brand of tires on them with the Road Hazard Warranty (now I'm very sorry that I got) which when purchased I was informed from their sales person that this would avoid these kinds of problems YEAH what a great sales pitch.

I have been shopping at Pep Boys for over 40 years and have never before experience anything like this. I walked around the bay areas and only saw 3 people not working but talking? I guess that they were really working hard also there was no one that I could see working the tire machine again staffing issues?

I felt that this was not the way a lifelong loyal customer should have been treated so I took the wheel and tire to one of their competitors (R. S. Strauss) a few miles away and they repaired it within 45 minutes.

Now I know what buyer beware means..... Don't shop at Pep Boys...

Rich
Marple, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2006 04:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PEP-BOYS-SUPERSTORE-Pep-Boys-Automotive-Supercenter/Broomall-Pennsylvania-19008/PEP-BOYS-SUPERSTORE-Pep-Boys-Automotive-Supercenter-ripoff-liars-scam-artists-they-kn-173958. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PEP BOYS SUPERSTORE - Pep Boys Automotive Supercenter

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Simply go to another Pep Boys to have your Road Hazard honored.

AUTHOR: Michelle Pell - (United States of America)

Just because one particular Pep Boys couldn't fit you in at one particular moment in time doesn't mean that Pep Boys doesn't honor their Road Hazard Warranty.

Just because you see some techs in the shop talking doesn't mean they are on the clock.  The law requires that Pep Boys give all their employees a lunch break.  The managers could get into trouble if they don't send their techs to lunch (after working 5 hours).  Techs get an hour lunch so they have a lot of time to kill after eating.  I hope you do realize that 11:45 AM is around lunch time.  That's when Pep Boys start losing techs to lunch.

You really didn't have to pay for the repair by taking it to a competitor.  All you had to do is ask if there is another Pep Boys close by and get their phone number.  Call up that other Pep Boys and ask if they can fit you in.  Just because one Pep Boys is busy at that particular moment doesn't mean another Pep Boys is busy too.  There are Pep Boys everywhere in the Philadelphia area.  There's one on MacDade Blvd.  There's one on Market Street in West Philadelphia.  There's one on Lindbergh Blvd.

Staffing Problems or Poor Customer Service

AUTHOR: Rich - (U.S.A.)

I have contacted Pep Boys (when this happen back in October 2005,) Customer Relations Department, filled out an Customer satisfaction survey and sent a letter to Pep Boys Headquarters located at 3101 W Allegheny Ave, Philadelphia, PA

To add insult to injury Pep Boys Customer Relations whom this information was sent to has yet to contact me to resolve and/or explain this problem. You would think (Customer Relations) would have contacted me if they care so much about their lifelong loyal customer's.

Do they really live up to their "Code of Ethics"

"Pep Boys has always believed that good ethics and good business go hand-in-hand. Our founders, Manny, Moe & Jack, built Pep Boys on the principle of treating customers as we ourselves would like to be treated. Then and today, we strive for honest and straightforward dealings with our customers, suppliers, co-workers and security holders. It's the center of our brand personality. We're passionate, approachable, trustworthy, credible and helpful about cars. This Code of Ethics sets out general provisions that apply to all of Pep Boys business dealings. Adherence to this Code will help to maintain the high ethical standards that we expect from all our associates."

All I can say is Beware!

Maybe they did have a staffing problem.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

It was a Sunday, not everyone is checked out on the tire machines, and it's not as easy as the operator makes it look. At my shop, no-one but myself or one other person touches the tire machine, and I won't even do a repair on a tire that is lower than a 70s series in height or most "custom" rims. Some shops won't even perform repairs on wheels and tires that they themselves sold. The reason is that certain tires and rims are simply too much trouble and risk, hence liability. I don't know if that was your case, but I do think it could have been explained to you if it was something they didn't want to do instead of just pissing you off and wasting your time. Rememember, they are employees who don't have a dime invested in the franchise, they aren't the owners. You may want to write a letter.