Complaint Review: PEPBOYS AUTO

• Submitted: Tue, June 02, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, June 02, 2009

• Reported By:Chicago Illinois
PEPBOYS AUTO
17015 Torrence Avenue Lansing, Illinois U.S.A.

PEPBOYS AUTO They charged me for repairs that left me stranded on the street leaving the repair shop. Lansing Illinois

*Consumer Comment: How much do you want to bet

*Consumer Comment: Did you ever think?

In March 2008, I had my 1999 Jeep with 81,000 miles towed to Pep Boys (Lansing, IL) for problems relating to the fuel line. After paying $89 for the diagnostics, it was determined that the fuel pump needed replacing. After paying close to $800, it was replaced.

One year later, June 2009, the fuel pump on my 1999 Jeep which now has only 89,000 miles, is the reason that my auto shuts off on the expressway. I contacted Pep Boys to inquire about their policy on their products. I was informed the fule pump was under warranty and I would have to pay for 2 1/2 hours of labor for installation. Their labor warranty is only 90 days. After much bantering, I agreed to pay the labor cost. I was told that before they could confirm that it was the fuel pump, I would have to pay another $89 for a diagnostic.

Now, the hostage negotiations begin. If I don't pay, then my car and I have been "shafted." They offered me the option of an extended warranty on labor. I told them that was ridiculous, because if they did a good job, then I didn't need an extended warranty. Their labor should NOT be required every year, for a part that lasts 6-8 years.

When I was notified the next day that my car was available for pickup, I arranged to be dropped off, and I stood in line to pay the cashier before I could retrieve my auto. I got into the car and drove up the street, on the major thoroughfare, enroute to the expressway. At the first stop light off the repair room floor, my car stopped! I was 2 blocks up the street, in the turning lane, immobile! Angrily, I picked up my cell phone and called the service center to inform them of the problem and to express my anger at having discovered that no one bothered to "test drive" after "allegedly" replacing the fuel pump. The response from the mechanic on duty was, "ma'am, you're gonna have to call 1-800-pepboys to get a tow!" I had just paid $379.01 at 5:54 p.m. CST, and my car stopped at 6:10 p.m.

After what seemed like an eternity, I finally got it started and drove down the street to Pepboys to show my disgust with this "rip off, and to find out what the hell had been done for $379.01.I was told at that point that it might not be the fuel pump. They couldn't guarantee what it was, and they could check it out the next morning. Well, what kind of fool did they think I was? In this economy and any other economy, I wasn't about to let a crook steal from me without the benefit of confronting the thief. They said that they would look at it in the morning, and gice me a call.

The next morning, when I received "the call," I was told that the diagnostic didn't show the real problem, and now there is an issue of the "crank." "Sometimes, these things happen, and it doesn't show up right away." So, this is where the hostage negotiations begin, again! If I don't pay them additional money for the new repair, then my car will be worse off than it was before they received my $379.01. I didn't forget that the diagnostic was performed twice, before the repairs began. And, according to PepBoys, it was the fuel pump. Now, because I have challenged them, and "outed" them in the store, I'm being penalized financially.

Now, they have my money and my car, and I am left with trying to negotiate on what to do.

Ms. Mac
Chicago, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/02/2009 09:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PEPBOYS-AUTO/Lansing-Illinois-60438/PEPBOYS-AUTO-They-charged-me-for-repairs-that-left-me-stranded-on-the-street-leaving-the-457672. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PEPBOYS AUTO

How much do you want to bet

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

That Ms. Mac is posting from the same computer as TDMagee of reports 453183 and 455662. Seems he got my message yesterday about using the same login name for his bogus posts. He's really got a beef with his competitor, Pep Boys of Lansing. You're crackin' me up TD!!!

Did you ever think?

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

That maybe there is something else wrong with your car and that's why it keeps knocking out your fuel pump?

The pump could just be a symptom of a bigger problem.