Complaint Review: PIMSLEUR APPROACH

• Submitted: Wed, April 22, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, October 02, 2012

• Reported By:Derry New Hampshire
PIMSLEUR APPROACH
340 N. 12th Street Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
  • Phone: 866-774-4754
  • Web:
  • Category: Language

PIMSLEUR APPROACH Deceptive advertising on their website. They started deducting $59 out of my checking account for CD's that I was not aware that I had ordered Philadelphia Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Regardless

*Consumer Suggestion: "Pimsleur Approach" DBA, corp Internet Order LLC.

*Consumer Comment: I like the company

*Consumer Comment: THANX YOU JOHN

*Consumer Comment: Devil's Advocate is probably Company's Advocate

*Author of original report: To "UM": I NEVER STATED THAT THE ENROLLMENT BUTTON WAS "HIDDEN"

*Consumer Comment: UM

I ordered language CDs from Pimsleur around the end of January or beginning of February 2009 for $9.95 and received them. Near the end of February, I then received a bigger package from them, which contained more CDs.
I wish I had read the ROR before ordering from them. I checked this website and found several reports from other people complaining about Pimsleur taking money out of their bank accounts for additional CDs that they were not aware that they had ordered.

I left three messages at 866-744-4754 after receiving the package that I have not opened. They never returned my call. I did not want to return the package because other postings at this website stated that they had returned the package and were still charged for it and Pimsleur would claim that they never received it from them.

When I got home from work yesterday, there was another package waiting for me from Pimsleur. I called and actually spoke to a person this time and explained that I was unaware of ordering or enrolling in anything for any future products from them. She said that when I bought the original CDs that I had a choice of enrolling or not and that I had selected yes to enrolling. I do not recall seeing any "choice to enroll". If it was there, it was deceptive in how they worded this or placed it. She then stated that they could not take the first package back now because Pimsleur has already paid royalties and advertising for it, and that I had waited too long to inform them that I wanted to cancel or return the package. A bunch of BS!

I then stated that I had, indeed, informed them three times with messages that I had left after receiving the first package. She said that there was no record of that in their system and that I could just be making this up. I told her that she could be making stuff up too; about the royalties, advertising etc., and she laughed and said, Yes I guess that's true. She also said that if I did call and leave messages that I might have said my name or phone number too fast and they could not understand the messages. I had left my name, phone #, order and customer # and she couldn't' find anything from any of that information THREE TIMES. I did not want it, have not used it and want to return it and they say that I cannot get a refund.

They have taken two payments out of my checking account for $59 each. I did not notice the first one but they did deduct one on 4/20/09. I then contacted my bank and reported these unauthorized transactions on my account, which they will take care of. Now I have to wait 5-7 days for a new bankcard so that they can no longer try to take any more money out.

Pimsleur will be getting BOTH packages back, even though they claim that they cannot accept the first one due to the above BS that I was told. If I had read RipOff report first, I never would have ordered from Pimsleur.

Bones
Derry, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/22/2009 09:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PIMSLEUR-APPROACH/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19107/PIMSLEUR-APPROACH-Deceptive-advertising-on-their-website-They-started-deducting-59-out-445767. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PIMSLEUR APPROACH

Regardless

AUTHOR: GeoLife - ()

I actually did notice the little "check box", and unchecked it...  ...they "auto enrolled" me anyway and started taking money out of my account.  Fortunately I caught it.  They did give me a refund and accepted the return of their unwanted products.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

"Pimsleur Approach" DBA, corp Internet Order LLC.

AUTHOR: Preamble Project - (United States of America)

Seems to be we need to track down the principals of this outfit.

And while one chap says "I like the company," if this were a legitimate outfit, every transaction, from the beginning "tease" offer of a basic lingo course for $9.95, and including any options that you're being "opted into" as part of the transaction.

Failing that, it most certainly looks like a scam.

Get your papers /documents/files together and file a lawsuit in your local Small Claims Court, file reports with the Financial Protection board/whatever that Liz Warren pushed through Congress; write your District Attorney, the Federal Trade Commission, and so on.

I like the company

AUTHOR: Guy - (United States of America)

I don't think that you people are being fair at all to this company. I ordered the Pimlseur French course and it was VERY clear to me that they would be sending me the additional volumes unless I canceled. This type of online marketing is very common, and in some cases can be very deceptive; however in this case I completely disagree with the people complaining that they are unethical or deceptive. It's as clear as day. Also, the phone support I have received regarding my orders was exemplary. If there had ever been a problem, they fixed it within a day. Pimsleur courses are very expensive, and very good. This website is the only one I have seen who offer the courses for a monthly payment which is the only way many of us can afford to take the courses. My suggestion is that you read before you buy, and if you are unhappy with your purchase, call the customer support number and discuss it. I am certain that they will take care of it for you.

THANX YOU JOHN

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

I hadn't checked back for a while. Thank you John for confirming what I and others have been trying to say about Pimsleur. They are deceptive about how they do their business. That's all that I was trying to convey. Just trying to warn people to be careful and really look over the website before they make any commitments to any company. It really has made me more aware and I really scrutinize any website now to look for something that is deceptive or just plain not right there up front for the consumer to read and agree or not agree to. I don't like when there is a button that is already checked off and you have to look for it and uncheck it in order to not get screwed over. might be legal, but it sure is not ethical.

Devil's Advocate is probably Company's Advocate

AUTHOR: John Daily - (U.S.A.)

Again, Pimsleur Approach/Internet Order LLC tries to deceive people out of $300 (sometimes more if you don't catch it). I have researched this company. They try to trick you. Devil's Advocate, guess what? I can go onto their webpage and type in ALL of my information and not see that pre-checked box since it is BELOW the "Submit my order" button.

I show the website to everyone. They all agree. They are trying to scam you on purpose. Let's see how liberal you are when they start taking $59 out of your account every month.

To "UM": I NEVER STATED THAT THE ENROLLMENT BUTTON WAS "HIDDEN"

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

I never said that it was "hidden", I stated that the button was deceptive and I didn't notice it, as others have reported on this site about Pimsleur. There was another commenter on this site about this company that said the button was hidden. Perhaps you mistook my report for their report. In either case, this company is being deceptive.
If you are in a hurry (which I was at the time as I had an appointment and saw the ad for something that I was considering getting, and didn't have time to check things out as I normally would) and don't notice the button below the acceptance button, and have to UNcheck it, then it is DECEPTIVE. You are thinking that you are clicking a button to submit your order, if you don't read everything well. Why is that? This is a way for them to get people to sign up without realizing it. Even if you did notice it as you clicked on the acceptance button and realized what you have done, it would be too late. It SHOULD be UNchecked to begin with, and let the consumer decide if they want to enroll; not TRICK them into enrolling and then have to go through the hassle of UNrolling.
Also, according to Pimsleur, they have no record of my 3 voice mails asking them to cancel my enrollment (after calling them three times) within their time frame of 30 days. I did call and they have no record, according to the female that I spoke to.
So, the bank has reimbursed me the money that Pimsleur took out of my account, and I am hoping that they don't have to trick any other people out of enrolling in their system. I just feel that they should have left the option to enroll, blank, and let the consumer decide if they want any further cds. Instead of having a good feeling about this company and possibly doing more business with them, I now feel that I have been duped and will NEVER do business with them again. I have never even finished the first instuctional cd's that they sent me for the $9.95 because of the negative experience with them and the other ROR at this site. It leaves me with a bad feeling.

UM

AUTHOR: Devilsadvocate4education*just My Opinions* - (U.S.A.)

I hate to break this to you but if you go back to the site and look right under that great big ol' submit my order button it's RIGHT there. There is an option to leave the checkmark there or, I assume, remove it. You must have not read that part or clicked on the little link that says 'tell me more' which explains that you are opting to enroll in the program that you are describing. It's NOT hidden.