Complaint Review: PLANNED PARENTHOOD

• Updated: Tue, June 22, 2010

• Reported By: anonymous — Austin Texas United States of America
PLANNED PARENTHOOD
1015 West Centerville Road #118 Garland, Texas United States of America

PLANNED PARENTHOOD ,the Garland Clinic on Centerville Road, Denied birth control pills before the exam. Garland, Texas

On June 21, 2010 I waited for over an hour at the Planned Parenthood in Garland, TX to be denied the birth control prescription I've had for over 10 years, (I'm in my 30s) and the doctor didn't even get to the exam (a standard annual pap smear). First, she asked me if I had any breakthrough bleeding and told me that the brand of birth control I'm currently using isn't very popular because it causes this problem. Was she coaching me toward another brand? I felt that way, yes. She spoke to me as if I were a child, talked down to me and proceeded to explain how that particular brand of birth control works, and why it's less satisfactory compared to the newer brands. She also specifically mentioned that some pills now use Progesterone instead of Estrogen. Sound fishy? (it gets worse) I've been on it since 1999 and told her I've never had a problem with it, I like it and I wasn't interested in trying something new at this time. Then, she asked me about migraines. Basically, when I filled out the required health forms I checked a box that says I've had migraines (as in- yes, I've had a migraine before. I don't remember when the last one was, it's not a chronic condition) and was told that it's their policy not to prescribe Estrogen of any kind to people who get migraines. Additionally, she told me that her daughter gets migraines and that her daughter's neurologist said "no more Estrogen." After that anecdote I was furious and I asked directly if that was going to affect my getting the prescription I've had (which was the reason I made the appointment) and she said yes, that's their policy. So I voluntarily left without any services rendered. I went to Planned Parenthood because I was out of town due to a family emergency and I couldn't get to my doctor for an exam before my prescription ran out. Having been on the pill for several years I didn't want to interrupt my cycle. (My doctor does have my complete, current medical history and has never mentioned an Estrogen related migraine problem to me previously). It's not surprising there are so many unplanned pregnancies when their policy denies patients birth control based on a highly generalized heath form. That was my experience, and I am not convinced Planned Parenthood is beneficial to society at this point. I felt strongly that the doctor was trying to push me toward another brand of birth control and when she realized that wasn't going to happen she went on some kind of power trip. Thankfully I'm not a 15-year old girl in trouble and I still have a choice for my healthcare needs. Personally I think this woman shouldn't be allowed to practice in a Planned Parenthood.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/22/2010 01:57 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PLANNED-PARENTHOOD/Garland-Texas-75041/PLANNED-PARENTHOOD-the-Garland-Clinic-on-Centerville-Road-Denied-birth-control-pills-bef-616205. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PLANNED PARENTHOOD