• Submitted: Fri, July 16, 2010
  • Updated: Sat, October 02, 2010

• Reported By: DoneWithPNC — Holt Michigan United States of America
S CEDAR DEWITT AND HOLT, Michigan United States of America

*Consumer Comment: Ronny is right

*Consumer Comment: I am no fan of the banks..

*Consumer Comment: Please Consider Doing This...

*Consumer Suggestion: file complaints ignore the banking puppets

*UPDATE Employee: You are give a disclosure for a reason...READ IT!

Opened my account with National City Bank back in 2006 and never had any problems with how this bank conducted business....not until PNC took over in April 2010.  Since then, I've had nothing but problems with this bank charging me invalid charges against my account!  And when you call to talk with someone about the charges, they are not reasonable and will not credit you what is owed to you.  One time, there was a double payment taken out of my account for $250 in error.  I disputed this amount and got the $$ back but had to wait 10 days to get it.....how can this be????  I was laid off from my job and due to how the economy is these days, ended up taking a job that paid 1/2 the $$ as what i used to make.....making my budget very tight and $250 that I had budgeted to pay bills with, was now no longer available due to PNC's banking practices...at least not for 10 days!

Here's my latest problem.....after many problems with this bank, I decided to close the account.  I opened another bank account and had everything switched to this account including my automated deposits.  Went in to the branch to close out the account and they told me I had an amount pending for withdrawal that caused my account to be overdrawn $12.39.  (this withdrawal is the only monthly automated withdrawal I have which I had forgotten about)  No NSF charges had posted.  So I made my $12.39 deposit and proceeded to try and close my account.....they told me I couldn't close it, that I had to wait a few days up to a week to make sure no other chrgs would post to my account.  I tried explaining to them that I no longer use their bank and that nothing else should come through.  They still wouldn't let me close it.

The next day, I looked at my account online and saw they charged me $36 3 different times totally $108 in NSF charges for this one "pending" $12.39 withdrawal.  These charges were all chrg against my account on the same day.....how can they do that?  So, I proceeded to go to the branch where I live (another city) to try and straighten this out and close my account......now they are telling me that due to an overdrawn balance they can not close out my account.  They have proceeded to charge me another $36 NSF chrg plus $7/day "overdraft chrg" bringing my negative balance up to $172.00.

I have made a 3rd attempt to close out this account and they are now telling me it cannot be done.....until the NSF charges are paid.....And they also told me they will continue to charge me $7/day for 30 days and then my account will automatically be closed.......is this even legal??????  I have never had this happen to me before!

Again, I cannot afford to pay these charges that I feel have been added to my account unfairly.  I made the deposit the day I learned my account was overdrawn by $12.39....not only did I pay this but now they are wanting as of today another $172.  Is it just me or does this seem a little excessive?  I AM DONE WITH PNC!!!!!  Will be filing a complaint to the proper authorities (as soon as I figure out who that is...anyone know?) as well as the better business bureau about they unfair banking practices.   STAY AWAY FROM PNC.......THEY ARE A BUNCH OF CROOKS AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/16/2010 07:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PNC-BANK-FORMER-NATIONAL-CITY-BANK/DEWITT-AND-HOLT-Michigan-48820/PNC-BANK-FORMER-NATIONAL-CITY-BANK-BAD-BUSINESS-PRACTICES-BEWARE-DEWITT-AND-HOLT-M-623778. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PNC BANK - FORMER NATIONAL CITY BANK

Ronny is right

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

And it pains me to say that but instead of a online statement get a paper statement if you do not already.  The only way to keep from overdrafting your account is to keep a register and get a monthly statement and reconcile it!

Sucks but that is live - I love my bank because it is small and people oriented. Consider a credit union or just use cash. Good luck.

I am no fan of the banks..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

..and trust me...I know PNC is a horrible bank.

But..all you need to do is look at your statement.

What does it say caused the overdrafts?

If the overdrafts are not legitimate..you can dispute them. If they are..just pay the d**n fees and be done with this awful bank.

If you can post a screen shot of your statement, perhaps myself or others can advise accordingly.

Please Consider Doing This...

AUTHOR: Bman - (United States of America)

Filing a report with this government agency:

#4 Consumer Suggestion

file complaints ignore the banking puppets

AUTHOR: Nathan - (U.S.A.)

don't listen to these idiots.  I would file a complaint with your attorney General of your state.  You might have a banking commissioner in your state.  Try them.

Also I would file a complaint with the controller of currency.  Yahoo search them.

complaint can be done on line.  You were ripped off.  As for the bozo's that sided

with PNC.  They are bank puppets, ignore them

Forget the Better Business bureau.  They are worthless.  you also can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

Good luck

You are give a disclosure for a reason...READ IT!

AUTHOR: Kayo - (United States of America)

What seem to have occurred on your account is that you made a deposit, the business day after the transaction was processed against your account.  At PNC, the overdraft and NSF fees are assessed the next business day after the account originally overdraws; and items, such as checks or ACH debits, if being returned by the bank unpaid, are returned also the next business day.  The fees and return items occur mid-day by 3pm EST. It's always at the bank's discretion if they will return those items non-sufficient or pay and cover them for you.  Either way a fee is assessed.

It seems to me that you made the deposit the business day after the original transaction was processed on your account, before the mid-day review.  In making this deposit, you assumed that the bank will pay the transaction and did not account for any fees for funds not being available and the likelihood that them may not pay the transaction. If the transaction was pending and you made a deposit, th eonly way you would recive a fee is if another transaction was received/processed against your account causing the $12.39 deposit to not be enough.

Failure to check your account after the first time the transaction was processed through your account, led to the other fees.  You wanted to close your account.   You were told that you must wait until the transactions clear before you can close your account.  The next thing is then to watch your account to make sure all transactions had cleared.

You are now upset that fees were assessed because the ACH debit that you should have canceled continued to be reprocessed through your account because funds were not available.  The resposonsibility of the account, is that of the accountholder.  The charges you were assessed, the process of closing your account, the way transactions are processed against your account were all given to you with the opening of the account.

Many people get me when they state who reads all that fine print?  ME!!!  You must know what you are stating you are being responsible for, otherwise don't open an account or sign any contract with small print.  They are called disclosures for a reason.