Complaint Review: PNC BANK

• Reported By:fairview Pennsylvania
PNC BANK
pncbank.com Internet U.S.A.

PNC BANK Overdraft highest lowest nsf charges lies Internet

*Consumer Comment: It gets better!

*Consumer Comment: It's just not fair!

PNC bank, among others, uses the predatory practice of clearing checks "highest to lowest" first. This creates a huge profit capitalizing on small customer errors.

Example:

Account balance on any given day is $500. Yesterday, you used your bank card for $20 and say $30 and didn't enter the items in your checking account register (an error which I agree you should pay for, after all it is your mistake which will cause the following but it is PNC's greed which will exponentially raise the cost of your error).

At the same time those two debits are clearing a check which you wrote comes through your bank for $475.

PNC now employs the predatory practice of what is called "highest to lowest". Here's how it works. By disregarding the order in which the debits are presented PNC formats their internal program to clear the highest presented item first and continue in that order until everything is cleared.

If by random chance the other items comes through first, here is what will happen to your account. Balance $500. Deduction $30 (cleared). New balance $470. Deduction $20 (cleared). New balance $450. Check in the amount of $475 (overdrafted) balance negative $25. Total NSF charges $36.

Here, instead the predatory way PNC calculates the withdrawals, disregarding the order in which they are actually presented but instead re-ordering them in the way most harmful to you and most beneficial to them. Balance $500. Deduction $475. New balance $25. Deduction $30 (overdrafted). New Balance -$5. Deduction $20. New Balance -$25.

So, because of their greedy, anti-customer predatory practices PNC has now manipulated your withdrawals to double the fees you were charged for your error.

If you ask PNC why they did this, they will give you the continued repeated lie every bank involved in this process gives you. We take these out highest to lowest because the highest might be a mortgage and we don't want to ruin your credit or cause you any embarrassment.

BS!

The fact is, if your account is presented with a check for $475 which overdrafts your account $25 there is NO bank in the country which is going to return that check and cause you "embarrassment" or "ruin your credit". NONE!

What makes this deceiving practice all the more detestable is this above stock lie they give you. Banks, wake up! You may be able to continue to lie to each other because you're all out of the same ilk (which is probably why none of you will lend any money to each other and we, the american people, have to go into our pockets to bail out your greedy ignorance) but don't underestimate the intelligence of the average american.

There are those of us that know exactly how you operate and this post is intended to inform even more.

Highest to lowest scam
fairview, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/20/2008 08:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PNC-BANK/internet/PNC-BANK-Overdraft-highest-lowest-nsf-charges-lies-Internet-382834. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PNC BANK

It gets better!

AUTHOR: Lauren - (U.S.A.)

There IS actually an exception to the "highest to lowest" rule.
See, I've gone through the same thing and had them charge me $300 in fees because they cleared a $482 check from the day before first AND THEN started clearing $5 and $10 charges from a week before after the account had already dropped down below zero. So I called to complain and was told this same lie. And they talked me into overdraft protection. Then, because of all their extra fees, eventually my savings account dropped to an amount that really can't cover much of anything. So what happened? NOW because I have overdraft protection, instead of just paying a $32 overdraft fee like I used to without it when the check forced the account under zero, THEY BOUNCED MY CHECK. So I called AGAIN to complain and demanded they take overdraft off. She had the audacity to say "You'd rather pay a fee?" to which I screamed "I PAY YOU A $36 DOLLAR FEE NOW AND YOU BOUNCED MY CHECK WHICH MEANS I PAY THAT COMPANY A $35 FEE AND HAVE THE EMBARASSMENT OF A BOUNCED CHECK!" To which she tried to talk me into a PNC credit card. Unbelievable. Luckily, the bank resubmitted the bounced check and it cleared so it ended up never actually bouncing but PNC still got paid $36.
So now, just today, I check my account because according to their "highest to lowest" rule I wanted to confirm they would be negatively affected by this rule based on my new overdraft situation. My rent check was submitted and was to clear the same day a lesser amount was to be automatically deducted and paid to PNC. So I log in and click "My Accounts" and am astonished to find that they cleared the LESSER CHARGE TO THEM before my rent check. Which means my rent check will now bounce because of them!

So you see, "Highest to Lowest" only applies AFTER PNC gets paid.

It's just not fair!

AUTHOR: Cheychey - (U.S.A.)

In the UK there is a law that the fee cannot be larger than the transaction that caused the negativity. When is someone in the US going to put a stop to these predatory banks?