Complaint Review: PNC Bank - Joe Greco

• Submitted: Wed, May 07, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, May 12, 2003

• Reported By:Rome Georgia
PNC Bank - Joe Greco
Pittsburgh, PA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
  • Phone: 888-pnc-bank
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

PNC Bank - Joe Greco Rips Off Dutifully Serving Military Family Yet We Still Protect Them Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

*Author of original report: PNC Shows Heart and Rights a Wrong

In January of 2003 after already having numerous problems with the way PNC was handling our accounts, we noticed that when we called the Accountlink by Phone system, it reported all of our checks paid. Being that we were in older military housing that could not accomodate the proper bandwidth for internet, we had to rely on our own accounting and that of the Accountlink by Phone system. That being the case, we would call to verify checks we had written were paid and were then able to use our debit card for other purchases.

A few days later, we start getting notices of insufficient funds for checks that the Accountlink by Phone system still to this day reports as paid...along with a $30 fee for each instance. This fee then piles up and overdrafts our account. Then our debit purchases (which are pre-approved and also noted on the Accountlink by Phone system) are presented for final payment to the bank, they are paid but then we are charged NSF for those as well.

I complained but was told by Joe Greco that the reason this happens is because they attempt to pay our checks and then when the debit card charge is presented, it overdraws, yet they pay it and charge us for the overdraft. What I do not understand is this: (1) If a debit card purchase is pre-authorized and posted against my AVAILABLE balance, they know it is coming and they have placed a hold on my account for that charge, why do they pay a check and charge me an NSF fee and then charge me an NSF fee for the debit card charge they already pre-approved? (2) Why does the Accountlink by PHONE say that a check is paid when it is not?

What this has done to us since January is seriously sink us in the hole by about $2050.00. We are an Army family and do not make a whole lot of money. The customer service we have received, when they choose to acknowledge us at all(which is now rare) is far from helpful. Mr. Greco continues to choose to ignore the fact that I am having problems with the Accountlink by PHONE, not Accountlink by Web.

The other problems that I have with PNC are even more disturbing. A few months ago one merchant I had written a check to called to verify the funds were available. As it turned out, they were not as this is about the time we learned of our major problem. However, when the merchant was told that the check funds were not available as yet, she was then told WHEN and HOW MUCH to the penny our next deposit would be (We use direct deposit and the Army pre-notifies the amount of deposit). I do not believe this falls under Freedom of Information. As I understand it, that only applies to government agencies and not my personal checking account.

Yet another merchant called to verify a check and was told that they would be charged a fee to verify funds. At least they were not told specifics of my account.

In October of 2002, our debit card number was run again illegally after we left a merchant's kiosk at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. The thieves charged $100.00 to our card. This overdrew our account. We had one debit that was paid and one that was returned ($6.00) and were charged $60.00 by PNC and $25.00 for the returned item by that merchant. PNC refunded our $100.00 that was illegally taken. They are supposed to refund the associated fees. That was October - they still have not done so. They have not re-deducted the $100.00 either when they investigated the incident and found that it was theft that caused the charge.

So as it stands, I am out $2050.00 in PNC NSF fees only. That does not account for the numerous fees I have had to pay to companies I wrote checks to that PNC still says they paid. PNC now will not answer me at all. Mr. Greco claims this is poor accounting on my part. He says that the checks being presented prior to the actual arrival of the debit card charges are what have messed me up. However, my husband's account has also been screwed up. He has ONLY used his debit card. Mr. Greco does admit that is on a pre-authorized basis. Yet, just today PNC's Accountlink by WEB (no less!) says he has $2.33 as his available balance. That does not include the $10.00 they just allowed him to charge for gas on his card. They authorized the charge - but I'm sure only so that they can collect the $30.00 NSF fee they will surely charge him.

PNC is running a serious racket here to get loads of money from it's customers. They have gotten loads of money from us. They are not concerned at all that they do this to active duty service members. It really is a shame that they are that greedy. All that I want from them is my money back. I do not think I'm asking for the moon. I want what is rightfully mine and then I will close my account and go back to USAA Federal Savings Bank. To anyone reading this, USAA takes much better care of it's customers than PNC could ever fathom.

Kelley
Rome, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/07/2003 09:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PNC-Bank-Joe-Greco/Pittsburgh-Pennsylvania/PNC-Bank-Joe-Greco-Rips-Off-Dutifully-Serving-Military-Family-Yet-We-Still-Protect-Them-56129. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PNC Bank - Joe Greco

AUTHOR: Kelley - (U.S.A.)

Thursday May 8, I received a call from Eric H. (sorry can't spell his last name) from PNC Customer Relations. He was calling in response to a letter I had written to the Western PA BBB regarding my complaint here. He actually took the time to listen to my complaint and even did a three way call into the Accountlink by Phone system so that he could hear what I could hear. He admitted that it was ambiguous and asked if he could test the system further and get back to me.

I heard nothing on Friday but today at 4pm, Eric called me back to offer a settlement. They agreed to refund a large portion of the fees that have been taken from us.

Eric was very polite and it was impressive that a big corporation such as PNC does have some representatives that are interested in the doing the right thing and providing good customer service.