Complaint Review: PUBLIC STORAGE

• Submitted: Sun, August 19, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, March 12, 2009

• Reported By:SCOTTSDALE Arizona
PUBLIC STORAGE
8615 E. MCDOWELL RD. Nationwide U.S.A.

Public Storage Everything I own was stolen from me. Scottsdale Arizona

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Pay for what you get

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: you have failed

*UPDATE Employee: Update

*Consumer Comment: DONT' EVER RENT FROM PUBLIC STORAGE

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Certified Letters - Update your mailing address

*Consumer Comment: They need to send a certified letter in Arizona before sale

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: PS has never worked with anyone that was a customer of mine..

*UPDATE Employee: Read

I rented a storage unit from public storage on 05-05-07. I had lost my job and had to move from my apartment. I put everything that my wife and I owned in it. We have been married 28 years and raised 3 children. So we had alot of memories in those boxes. On 08-01-07 i went in to pay my bill only to find out that my storage unit had been auctioned off. My contract that I signed stated that I had 90 days. There was nothing posted in their office. I was not called or notified by mail that this was going to happen. The clerk told me that Shurgaurd bought out Public Storage. And that they had a new policy. I feel that I was treated unfairly. This kind of practice is against the law.

Joe
SCOTTSDALE, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/19/2007 12:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PUBLIC-STORAGE/nationwide/Public-Storage-Everything-I-own-was-stolen-from-me-Scottsdale-Arizona-268572. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PUBLIC STORAGE

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Pay for what you get

AUTHOR: Wyldflwr34 - (U.S.A.)

You pay for what you get. People are so darn anxious to get a unit for 1$ but yet when the facility conditions, business practices and customer service is below their standards they say WHAT??

By the way...you got your memory wrong.... Shurgard did not buy out Public Storage. Public Storage bought Shurgard. Too bad too! Shurgard was a MUCH more ethical company with WAY better values.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

you have failed

AUTHOR: Letsgofishin - (U.S.A.)

You failed to live up tothe contract you signed and you failed to keep you family memories. No one is to blame but yourself, stop slandering a company due to your failures.

Update

AUTHOR: PSemployee - (U.S.A.)

Public storage makes attempts to contact customers via telephone, email, letters, and certified letters. All calls and letters are documented and mandated by the state. All changes of your contact information have to be made in writing and signed. To the consumer reply, the info about the quality of units is incorrect and there is no 65k insurance coverage. To the original poster did you have insurance? It sounds like your contact info wasn't updated, wa it? What kind of lock was on the unit?

DONT' EVER RENT FROM PUBLIC STORAGE

AUTHOR: Margaret - (U.S.A.)

I moved in with relatives for a while to catch up financially following cancer treatments. I looked at several storage facilities and ended up deciding on UHaul. I toured a Public Storage facility that was suppose to be climate control. It was extremely hot in the building, the floors were filthy, there were fiying insects everywhere and NO LIGHTS OR LIGHT BULB in the individual room. In my case a 10x12 room because I was going to store my entire apartment. I pointed out all of this to the leasing personnel and they just shrugged "oh well, what do you want us to do?". I told them I would never rent from them and found a great room at UHaul on the 2nd floor. Floors so clean you could eat off of them, lights and light fixtures in the store room and full coverage insureance of 65,000 for 28.00 a month.
Yeah Public Storage will give you a room for 1.00 for first months rent, and get just that, a dirty unlighted room worth about a 1.00

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Certified Letters - Update your mailing address

AUTHOR: Brenda - (U.S.A.)

Certified letters are ALWAYS sent to customers that are going to be auctioned for non-payment. It is the LAW which we follow to the letter. Public Storage does not pay to forward mail therefore if you have not kept the office updated on your current address you will not get the certified letter.

Copies of certified letters sent to customers and returned to the PS office for non-delivery are kept in a file as proof we tried to notify the tenant at their last known reported address of the impending sale. Additionally we publish in the paper the tenants that are going to have their units auctioned and we run this notice for two weeks.

When I worked in collections I found that customer's moved, changed or lost their phone service so we had no way to reach them. Some in fact simply refused to sign for the Certified Letter thinking this gets them off the hook. It doesn't. So whose fault is this really? By law all we have to do is prove we sent a certified letter to your last known address, we aren't going to go further in the hole in postage chasing you down from location to location.

We do NOT want you stuff. We want you to pay your rent. There isn't a business in this country that does not charge late fees. Late fees are your motivation to pay on time or within the grace period.

Bidders decide what amount your unit is sold for not Public Storage. We have to sell to the highest bidder. I have seen 10 x 20 units go for a little as $40.00. We often get pennies on the dollar for your items and in most cases we lose money because we have held your items without rental payments which means your rental space is costing us money. A business is supposed to make money not lose it. We do not want your bags of clothing, old furniture, ironing board, pictures or personal papers. And if you have anything of real personal value get a box and put your papers in it and keep it with you. In most cases we have to have a trash removal service clean out your unit that did not sell at auction at the cost of 300.00 - 1000.00. This on top of what you owed us. Public Storage is the loser here when you do not pay your rent.

You signed a LEGAL rental agreement (contract) that you would pay your rent. You are advised about late and lien fees at the time of rental and this is also explained in the rental agreement that you signed. So I have little or no sympathy for those of you who blame a business for your poor payment practices and the fact you do not take responsibility for your mistakes in regard to your personal business.

They need to send a certified letter in Arizona before sale

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

The OP stated that him and his wife moved out of their apt and put everything in storage due to job loss.

So, if you were basically homeless, where was PS supposed to send the CERTIFIED LETTER with the default notice and intent to hold sale? This notice MUST be mailed by certified means, they cannot use the phone.

The bottom line here is that you know the due date, and failed to pay your rent.

No ripoff here.

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

PS has never worked with anyone that was a customer of mine..

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Maybe Arizona is different, but the DM's in Michigan will sell you for a nickle, and I have seen it done. I seen a woman owe 5 cents, on the 8th day of the month she received a late fee, 30 days she was giving a lein fee of 50.00 and her lock was cut. She didn't have the money to pay the late fee and lein fees so on the 55 day of being behind she was sold. The District Managers are worms do not care about anyone.

Read

AUTHOR: Stlgto - (U.S.A.)

I am a public storage employee. You failed to handle this in the correct manner and cost yourself money and memories. You can not just not pay your bill. After 46 days we will begin to auction your things and in 60 we will sell it. Simple: pay your pill, call in say hey im late I will make a payment such and such date, you cant get out of your bills because you lose your job there will be late fees, but the company will work with you. Not a ripoff.