Complaint Review: PUBLISHAMERICA

• Submitted: Wed, December 09, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, December 10, 2009

• Reported By: Charles — Cambridge Ohio United States of America
Fredrick, Maryland United States of America

PUBLISHAMERICA They misled me into believing that they promote the books I wrote and that they would be available in stores Fredrick, Maryland

Being an aspiring writer I was pleased that Publishamerica choose my first book. I didn't expect it to be a run away success so when I didn't make alot of money I wasn't disappointed. When they told me they had a returned book and I could buy it at a discount I began to wonder because I wasn't notified of the correct number of books sold.

My second book was also accepted and even was given a press release. Even though they didn't edit it like they said they would, I signed the contract because I wanted it read as it dealt with true issues. I promoted it as best I could but when I asked where it was available besides their online bookstore, I recieved no response. I asked for the status of my book sales and was told they do it every few months and I would have to wait until then. I tried to cancel my contracts because I didn't believe they were telling me the truth about the sale of my books.

I was told they wouldn't cancel my contracts and would continue to sell my books, which I took to mean that they were selling. I was also told that unless I could prove they weren't telling me the truth about the sales they expected an apology. They are still waiting for that. They spend more time trying to sell the author their own books instead of selling them elsewhere. The problem is, the author gets no royalties for buying their own books. I was also told that if if I bought so many books they would donate the same amount to, my church, employer, hollywood and the soldiers in Iraq.

I have a third book I am trying to get published but if I have to but my own book from this publisher I will try somewhere else. Like they say, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Publishamerica is a gold mine. Gold for them, fools gold for the authors that trust them. Like I did.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/09/2009 10:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PUBLISHAMERICA/Fredrick-Maryland-21705/PUBLISHAMERICA-They-misled-me-into-believing-that-they-promote-the-books-I-wrote-and-that-536986. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PUBLISHAMERICA