Complaint Review: PUBLIX Supermarkets

• Updated: Mon, October 11, 2010

• Reported By: conifer — Gainesville Florida United States of America
PUBLIX Supermarkets
Nationwide United States of America

PUBLIX Supermarkets Exhorbitant, parasitic pricing of merchandise multiple, Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Another UNEDUCATED consumer talks crap

*Consumer Suggestion: Will Trade With You

*Consumer Comment: I have the perfect solution

*Consumer Comment: Publix isn't trying to be cheapest and they can't force you to shop there

*Consumer Comment: So..what you are saying..

There is NO solution to this ripoff.  Publix supermarkets prices its merchandise significantly higher that identical stock in other supermarkets.  In Gainesville, FL, Publix has positioned itself in carefully selected and dispersed locations, such that its competition (Albertsons and Winn Dixie) is choked out.  Generally, shoppers MUST shop at Publix, unless they agree to drive some distance (probably a few miles) to a competing supermarket.  Access is the catalyst here.  Surely, one might accuse the shopper of inattention.  And that would not be incorrect.  However, I am irked mightily by Publix insidious and astounding prices and marketing tactics, and avoid their stores.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2010 02:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PUBLIX-Supermarkets/nationwide/PUBLIX-Supermarkets-Exhorbitant-parasitic-pricing-of-merchandise-multiple-Nationwide-649229. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PUBLIX Supermarkets

Another UNEDUCATED consumer talks crap

AUTHOR: Testing - (India)

Wrong again, chumpstain. If that garbage about the pricing at Publix were true HOW did they CHOKE out Albertsons and Winn Dixie?? Fact is, those two had/have HIGHER prices on MOST non-sale items.  Before you start flapping your gums, make sure something comes out of your mouth other than Diarrhea. Oh, you can shop at Walfart...er...Mart like many other lower forms of life to save a few pennies, shopping in Moronic Bliss as that TRUELY put out of business MANY small companies and mom and pop business's. Just wait till you dont have any choice but Walfart, then watch their prices skyrocket. But that will be okay with you right, since by the time that happens you will have already saved a dime on lettuce or underwear ( IF you even wear underwear ).  So go on your way and shop at inferior places (why not try Aldi's, that'll really be up your ally),  its ok with me cause at least you wont be in MY WAY at the check out from a superior place like Publix.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Will Trade With You

AUTHOR: Bigcraig - (U.S.A.)

We used to always shop at Publix while we lived in Florida and South Carolina as they had the best goods and service, sometimes on some items the prices were a touch higher but the buy 1 get 1 free offers always more than made up the savings.

Here we are in Northern Virginia and all the grocery stores just plain out suck, Wegmans, Harris Teeter, Giant, Bloom, Safeway and probably the worst Super Walmart.

BTW, I used to work for Publix from 1974-1976 bagging, lol. Loved good old store 0101 in South Florida.

I have the perfect solution

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

SHOP somewhere else or stop complaining! I did not read what caliber gun they held at your head to shop there!

Publix isn't trying to be cheapest and they can't force you to shop there

AUTHOR: Eric - (United States of America)

Disclaimer: I used to work for Publix, well over a dozen years ago.  I was just a lowly bagger and stock boy at the time and don't represent the company in any way.  But I did work for them which might change how my opinion is taken.

When I worked for Publix, it was made clear that Publix was not a discount supermarket.  The general impression I got during my training was that they acknowledged that some of their prices were not competitive with other local supermarkets.  As far as I know, this is still the impression I have.  Publix isn't trying to be the cheapest market out there.  Publix prides itself on its quality, of both food and service.  They gain and keep customers with those and not by offering the cheapest possible price on everything.

With that said, I still do 95% of all my shopping there.  I no longer work there and don't have any stock or financial interest in the company.  I have a very tight budget but find that the things I buy are priced competitively.  I buy mostly staple foods and avoid processed and luxury goods.  The produce and meat are often more expensive but I find the quality to be worth it.  The store also stands behind what they sell.  I bought a bag of onions once and a week later two of the onions had gone bad.  I brought the bag back to the store (with just the two bad onions) and explained that a couple of the onions had gone bad sooner than I expected.  The manager on duty apologized and replaced the entire bag (which was more than I intended on asking) on the spot. I've had similar experiences with meats and other produce.  I did that once at Albertsons and the employee on duty told me, "Food spoils."  And that was the end of the conversation.

I've filed a complaint against Publix before, through their website.  Within 48 hours the store manager called me personally to apologize, inform me about what had been done to fix the problem, and invite me down to apologize in person and see if I was satisfied.  My problem?  A minor issue regarding one of their departments being inattentive to customers.  Seriously, I commented that I had to wait 5 minutes to get help before I was addressed by an employee.  The complaint was mostly a factor of my having a bad personal day, and not all the fault of the store, but I was still made to feel it was important to them.

Anyway, no one forces you to shop at Publix.  You can drive farther if the savings make up the increased cost in time and gas to you.  I drive past one of Publix's competitors on my way to the store.  I could certainly save gas by going to the closest store but I choose to do otherwise because it is important to me.  If not paying the "high" prices at Publix is that important, you can drive to a different store.  As for the fact that they place the store where there are no other stores, I would think it has more to do with finding a market for their services and less about exploiting geographic areas.  On top of that, if you take advantage of the sales and avoid the over-priced garbage then you can get reasonably close to the prices at other stores.  It takes some extra work and attention but it can be done.

So..what you are saying..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

..is somehow Publix is forcing you to shop there..or to pay thier prices?

Or that consumers are too dumb to figure out they can CHOOSE FREELY, to drive further if they don't want to shop at Publix?

Look, some people are willing to pay more for convenience. I am sure the people who live closer to the Albertsons or Winn Dixie have the same choices to shop there or drive further to the Publix. Unless the Albertsons and Winn Dixe are somewhere in middle of the woods or desert, or you need a 4X4 to climb rocks or something?

I never understand these types of complaints. I CHOOSE with my God given free will..to shop for food at the dollar store, which is further from me. Do they have the selection of a Publix? No..but I do not lodge complaints because no one is forcing me to shop at any particular store. I drive further to save on groceries..that seems to work. What I get at the dollar store for 25 bucks would cost me 3 times that at ANY of those supermarkets.