Complaint Review: Pacific Bell

• Updated: Sun, September 21, 2003

• Reported By:Cottonwood Arizona
Pacific Bell
Torrance, California U.S.A.

Pacific Bell, Tom Wells ripoff I sued in Phoenix federal court, Pac Bell failed to credit my check, American Agencies violated FDCPA Torrance California

I filed my federal suit in Phoenix on 3/19/03 against 28 defendants, including Pacific Bell, American Agencies and Tom Wells in their legal department.

The blog of my suit is at http://www.creditsuit.org/ - and that's where you can find the links to my complaint and many of the filings at CreditCourt.

In 1996, Pacific Bell deposited my check into their BofA account. Despite repeated disputes and providing that cancelled check, Pacific Bell failed to credit the payment and failed to acknowledge the dispute.

In 1997 I terminated my phone service and I didn't pay the final bill. Pacific Bell assigned the account to a collector who almost had me arrested - they told me my cancelled check wasn't good enough.

I didn't know then that all I had to do was file suit and ask for the statutory damages of $1,000 from the collector. I sold my house (unable to refi with that collection on my credit) and went camping for a few years.

In 2001 I ran out of cash and I discovered numerous incorrect charge-offs and collections on my credit. The Pacific Bell collection, my ONLY collection, was actually reported by 3 different collectors!

I sued Pacific Bell and American Agencies in 2002 in AZ small claims, but both companies did NOTHING to resolve my complaints. The suits were dismissed, and Pacific Bell called me to advise that they SOLD my account.

So now we're in federal court, and you can read whatever happens at my blog.

Filing your complaint here is great first step - your next step should be to file your complaint in your federal court AFTER you followed a few simple procedures.

Dispute the collection with American Agencies and with the credit bureaus. If they don't delete the account from your credit (or report the dispute) until they validated, you can sue for both Fair Debt Collection Practices Act & Fair Credit Reporting Act violations, the statutory damages under the FDCPA and punitive damages for FCRA violations.

I am NOT an attorney, but I walk my talk and I already got my check from another collector who reported this fraudulent Pacific Bell account.

And be sure you look for American CREDIT Agencies when you check on their statutory agent (for serving the complaint) - it took me a long time to figure out that they are registered with this DIFFERENT name.

Sue, people, sue!

Christine
Cottonwood, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/21/2003 02:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pacific-Bell/Torrance-California/Pacific-Bell-Tom-Wells-ripoff-I-sued-in-Phoenix-federal-court-Pac-Bell-failed-to-credit-67304. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pacific Bell