Complaint Review: Pacific Digital

• Submitted: Mon, June 07, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, April 14, 2005

• Reported By:San Jose California
Pacific Digital
2052 Alton Parkway Irvine, California U.S.A.

Pacific Digital Office Max CDRW Ripoff rebate not honored Irvine California

*Consumer Comment: Rebate the manufacturer's customer service dept isn't helping

*UPDATE Employee: WE DO NOT PAY REBATES!

*Consumer Comment: Response to slow Office Max employee

*UPDATE Employee: Blaming the wrong company...

I ordered a Pacific Digital CD-RW drive off of Office Max's website on August 25, 2003. There were two mail-in rebates included with it - one for $30, and one for $20. I mailed both rebates within a week of receiving the drive in the mail. I received the $30 rebate within a timely manner. About two months after mailing in the rebates, I went online to check the status of the $20 rebate. The tracking number for the rebate is 44717571.

The website said the rebate was valid and in the final stages of processing. It also said the rebate was received on 9/7/2003. This has been the case ever since. I've emailed repeatedly, and always received one of several computer-generated responses with a random name attached, each of which say basically the same thing - that there was some sort of delay and I should be receiving my rebate "shortly".

I've called the phone number (1-888-385-1168) I got for Pacific Digital twice. The first time was about a month ago. The person told me that something unusual had happened in my case, but it has been fixed and I would receive my rebate within 20 days. He also said to wait at least a week and then call back just to make sure everything was okay. I did that, and the person I talked to this time said that he wasn't able to tell me when the rebate would be issued.

It has been 9 months since they received my rebate. It is very frustrating that they provide no real way to contact anyone who can help.

Brent
San Jose, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/07/2004 04:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pacific-Digital/Irvine-California-92606/Pacific-Digital-Office-Max-CDRW-Ripoff-rebate-not-honored-Irvine-California-93985. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pacific Digital

Rebate the manufacturer's customer service dept isn't helping

AUTHOR: William - (U.S.A.)

As a former electronics sales employee at Office Max and a consumer who uses rebates, I will try to help you.

Since the manufacturer's customer service dept isn't helping, contact the corporate office of the manufacturer. Usually corporate information can be found at www.hoovers.com. If they do not respond, send a complaint to the Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org and your state's attorney general's office. You can also file a complaint the the attorney general's office in the state their corporate office is located.

Also, please notify Office Max of this situation. If Office Max is selling the product, they should know if a manufacturer is not sending out their rebates. They can contact the manufacturer too on your behalf. First, contact Office Max customer service www.officemax.com. If they don't help you, contact the Office Max corporate office.

WE DO NOT PAY REBATES!

AUTHOR: PACIFIC - (U.S.A.)

WE THE COMPANY HAVE DESTROYED ALL REBATE INFORMATION AND DO NOT MAIL OUT REBATES ON A CONTINUAL BASIS. THERE ARE ONLY 2% OF ALL REBATES PAID TO CUSTOMERS.

THE BALANCE IS DESTROYED

Response to slow Office Max employee

AUTHOR: Brent - (U.S.A.)

Did you read what I wrote? I never blamed Office Max. I'm sorry if you got that impression after reading the report, but I clearly said that I was trying to call Pacific Digital, and they were the ones who kept giving me worthless responses. It's been so long since I wrote the report, I don't know what was edited out, but something was removed from above the paragraph where I talked about trying to call Pacific Digital. I think it was probably a reference to the rebate headquarters website, which I don't think is affiliated with either Office Max or Pacific Digital.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything in my report that indicates that Office Max gave me any trouble. Why would I call the company that made the product (Pacific Digital) if I was trying to get a rebate from the place that I bought it at (Office Max)?

The lesson I learned here is to simply not expect to receive rebates from hole-in-the-wall companies that you've never heard of (like Pacific Digital). I'm sure if I got a name brand (like an NEC, Sony, Pioneer, or Lite-on) burner with a rebate, it would actually be honored without any hassles.

Blaming the wrong company...

AUTHOR: Amanda - (U.S.A.)

After reading your complaint it looks like you're blaming the wrong company.

You said that one rebate was sent in a timely manner, and the other rebate you've had to contact the manufacturer (which is not Office Max). That means that Office Max sent you the rebate they offer, but the manufacturer has neglected to send you your rebate.

Since I work for Office Max I just want to say: Thanks ever so much for giving my company a bad name and blaming us for something that isn't our fault.

Please be sure to complain about the right company next time.

exact