Complaint Review: Pacific Power

• Submitted: Sat, January 31, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, February 01, 2009

• Reported By:Redmond Oregon
Pacific Power
1033 NE 6th AVE. Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

Pacific Power My bill has never been so high in my entire life.I dont even have electric heat. Portland Oregon

*Consumer Suggestion: Other possibilities.

*Consumer Suggestion: Tell them...

*Consumer Suggestion: Have the electric company check your meter

I have never seen a bill this outragouse in my entire life.And I can prove it on all my billing statements I have.It is unbelieveable that they could do this in a time where everybody is hurting.

I called and complainded and they said that everybodies looks high this month but I know that mine should not be.It went from 75$ the month before wich is what they all look like and then out of no where i get this 330$ bill that they want me to pay.The bar that tells you how much electric you use is off the chart.I don't even have electric heat.I have a wood stove that heats my little 3 bedroom duplex and it does pretty good.I have proof of my bill and have never seen anything like this before.

Please help me out with this.My husband is on unemployment and now have this power company trying to rip me off and I feel like thier is nothing I can do about it.

Jessica
Redmond, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/31/2009 05:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pacific-Power/Portland-Oregon-97256-0001/Pacific-Power-My-bill-has-never-been-so-high-in-my-entire-lifeI-dont-even-have-electric-h-418664. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pacific Power

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Other possibilities.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

What you need to notice when comparing this season's billing and previous cold weather billings is the CONSUMPTION of electricit-the actual kilowatt hours used.

Since you indicate a rather large increase, your meter could be on the fritz but there are a couple of other things that could cause this as well:

Malfunctioning appliance- you may have a refridgerator (or 2) that is no longer functioning properly and is running (compressor) almost all the time. Pay attention to any heavy use appliances you may have; refridgerators, freezers, electric ovens, etc. It is possible that one or more is operating more often than it should.

DUPLEX? It is possible that your neighbors are using YOUR electricity. I've seen many cases as this. One in particular was outright stealing. The neighbor had an electrician relative go into the basement and actually re-wire 3/4s of her apartment (duplex) to the service of my friend in the other unit. I discovered the theft when my friend complained about her electric bill and I went over and did some tests. I examined the service panel and noticed many cables going into my friend's c/b panel and very few going into the neighor's unit c/b. I also notice holes where cables USED TO go into the neighbor's c/b panel. I pulled her mains and the neighbor came down wondering what happened to her electricity. I then went into the neighbor's appartment and discoverd that 3/4 of all the outlets were on my friend's service. Long story short; police called, charges filed, prosecuted, found guilty. The power company gave my friend a substancial prorated refund.

One way to attempt to check this yourself is to go through your apartment and UNPLUG (yes unplug-turning off is NOT good enough.) everything and turn off all lights. Then check your meter to see if it's spinning. If it's a newer "digital" meter your going to have to put an amp meter on the mains to determine if any current is still flowing - THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS so don't do this yourself unless you've had the appropriate training. If there is current still flowing you have a problem-something is on your service that you don't know about.

You can call your power company to have them come out and check your meter. You can also request them to check for any "parasitic" use by explaining that you suspect that "something" has been added on to your service that you're not aware of.

Good luck.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Tell them...

AUTHOR: Cat - (U.S.A.)

That not ONLY do you want an your meter checked you want an ITEMIZED bill SENT to you after the meter is checked!! If you have to have them send an itemized statements until you see where the jump in bills is coming from.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Have the electric company check your meter

AUTHOR: Nancy - (U.S.A.)

YOur meter might be wrong. IF that does not work, why not try to contact the consumer affair person at one of the Portloand TV stations. IF they are anythign like the ones in Seattle, they may be able to get to the bottom of it.