Complaint Review: Palm Harbor Homes

• Updated: Tue, August 05, 2014

• Reported By: Anonymous — Texas
Palm Harbor Homes
, Texas USA

Palm Harbor Homes They use a quickly diminishing reputation to shake you down. Texas

Was in the process of purchasing a home to put on my land. After being warned that Palm Harbor will rob and cheat you, I did a little footwork and got my own bids for the required improvements. What I learned stunned me and I'm shocked that the entire upper management of Palm Harbor is not in jail for what they are doing to the unsuspecting public.

I got 2 bids for each improvements. One was an independent bid by a company of my choosing and one was a bid from the same company Palm Harbor used but not allowing them to know that I was the same person. In almost every case, the independent bid was less. In several cases, the bid given by the contractor that was also used by Palm Harbor was extremely less when given directly to me! I let one conctractor in on what I was doing and asked why the difference. He simply said that Palm Harbor falsifies their original bid, adding profit to it for Palm Harbor, before turning it in! He said everyone knows it. He even said that Palm Harbor was the biggest crooks in the business, but that he siimply does what he's asked.

In my quest to find contractors, I was not surprised to find several that said they would not do business with Palm Harbor and did not want their own name associated with Palm Harbor.

Now, the end result! I confronted Palm Harbor about this serious discrepency because I felt like I was being extorted ( I was). They give me some line about collecting a contracting fee for themselves because they did all the contracing work. Thing is, their bids came to $35000 even. What are the odds of that? My bids came to, wait for it, $18407!!! That's a $16593 difference people! How can this be legal???? How are they able to do this to the unsuspecting public???

Obviously, I just smiled and requested my deposit back. I was then treated very rudely as if I were some criminal.

I then brought the floor plan to another dealer, along with the building specs. I had the same house built, with upgrades above and beyond what Palm Harbor was going to build, for $15000 less! Now I understand how profit works and I'm pretty sure that even at $15000 less, they made 8-10K off of me. I get that. What that reveals to me though is that Palm Harbor was making $25000 off of the house PLUS an additional $16000 for simply contracting the land improvements!

In my heart, I know that this is wrong. This company is corrupt and an example of everything that is wrong in our world.

Please beware when you enter Palm Harbor. They are predators...

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/05/2014 07:47 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Palm-Harbor-Homes/Texas/Palm-Harbor-Homes-They-use-a-quickly-diminishing-reputation-to-shake-you-down-Texas-1167466. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Palm Harbor Homes