Complaint Review: Palmetto Marketing

• Submitted: Tue, December 27, 2005
  • Updated: Thu, December 29, 2005

• Reported By:La Verne California
Palmetto Marketing
7522 Wiles Rd., St. 112, Coral Springs, FL Coral Springs, Florida U.S.A.

Palmetto Marketing, Inc., "Roaddogs" Why is nothing being done to stop Palmetto Marketing from ripping off magazine subscribers? Coral Springs Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: An Insider From Vinnies Past - You may or may not get your magazines and or refund, Im sad to report.

I have been wary of door-to-door salespersons for years, especially sellers of magazine subscriptions. It has become clear that the young people at our doors are not trying to earn money for college, or for trips, or for anything else except to make a pathetic few dollars while the marketing company owners become wealthy.

But in September I broke my own rule never to trust a door-to-door salesman and paid for a magazine subscription. The young man was clean-cut, respectful, and so earnest; it was late evening and he said he couldn't quit for the night until he got just one more subscription. He actually begged me to buy a subscription to help him.

I decided a game magazine would be a good Christmas present for one of my grandsons. The price was $25, which I thought was way too high, but it supposedly came with a game CD each month. I signed, then noticed that the total wasn't $25, but $35.97. The young man said it was a fee they had to add to all subscriptions. I was about to cancel, but couldn't bring myself to disappoint such a nice young man. Now I know why these companies use children instead of adults; we wouldn't be as likely to give in to an adult as we would a child.

My receipt doesn't give a timeline for receiving the first magazine, but the salesperson said it would take 8 to 12 weeks and a gift card would be sent to my grandson. The card never came, and no issues have been received. My receipt has an address, but no phone number or email address. I also noticed that, while checks are to be made to Palmetto Marketing, Inc., the sales company listed is Roaddogs. The salesperson's name given is Dion Monutt (although the handwriting is hard to make out).

I wrote a letter of complaint to the address given, but have received no response from Palmetto to date.

When I searched online for a website for Palmetto (they have none, apparently), I found hundreds of complaints about them, among other marketing companies. They appear to operate in numerous states. Why, if there are so many complaints of outright fraud, haven't any attorneys general put this company, and others like it, out of business?

Judy
La Verne, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/27/2005 01:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Palmetto-Marketing/Coral-Springs-Florida-33067/Palmetto-Marketing-Inc-Roaddogs-Why-is-nothing-being-done-to-stop-Palmetto-Marketing-169372. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Palmetto Marketing

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Stephen - (U.S.A.)

Judy, I am sorry to have learned about your experience, and am offering here some insight into this phenomenom from first-hand experience.

You may or may not get your magazines and or refund, Im sad to report. The owner of this Co.,Vinnie Pitts, and myself were trained by the same man in the 70s.His name is Russell Wood and we all cleared orders through Circulation Builders of America & Mecca.I can say I was at 2200 So. Smithberry Rd. in Arlington, Tx on personal visits and saw orders processed myself. A gentlemen named Joe Edge was owner of record.

I believe its no coincidence that these men have distanced themselves from Mr Pitts and his practices.It is not chance that so many people have reported on Palmetto that he warrants his own bullet at the start page.

Here is something few people know,especially the kids selling. The clearing houses, mgrs, sub mgrs DO NOT pay for these subscriptions and pocket all cash and revenues...I know, I did it myself.It has to do with ad price and circulation fulfillment.

I can explain perhaps another time.What can you do?People have got to call the folks who publish the periodicals or this business will continue to flourish. Getabunch.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds