Complaint Review: Palmetto Marketing

• Submitted: Sat, August 13, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, August 13, 2005

• Reported By:Astoria Oregon
Palmetto Marketing
Coral Springs, Florida U.S.A.

PMI, Palmetto Marketing attempted ripoff, door to door sales, scam, magazines, young kids, students, Cancun trip, contest Coral Springs Florida

Like the other 400ish complaints about this company, I too wrote a check to these charming kids. They pulled the same story...a contest, a trip to Cancun to be won, blah blah blah.

I bought three magazines, two from one kid and one from the other, in both my husband's name and mine. (They got more "points" toward the trip this way.) They asked for cash, I told them "yeah right". They were both charming and flattering and excellent schmoozers, telling me where they were from and how excited they were to be "ahead of the girls". (That's the first thing they asked, was if "two girls with mohawks had come by" and were delighted when I said no.)

I wrote two checks (one to each kid, which I thought was stupid and redundant, but I've been through sales and know the purpose of such a thing, etc. Points and all that.) for which I was given receipts and told they would be calling in a few days. They gave me the "bug off" tags to tape to my doorbell so "the girls" would know they'd been there already.

I went in and followed my "this smells like bs" instinct and Googled them. Sure enough, the first thing that comes up was ripoffreport.com. I was hoping for once that seemingly nice kids were legit. Anyway, I caught them down the street and got my checks back, informing then that their company had a scam sheet a mile long, and that there is no way they're going to Cancun.

They seemed shocked and appalled, and told them to get the hell out of this scam before something happens. They were truly enjoying their time, having both answered a magazine ad to get this "job". Poor, poor kids. Apparently their company is providing travel and everything...all for a huge scam that will earn them nothing.

So I wasn't ripped off but it wasn't for lack of trying. I'm just glad they hadn't left my neighborhood, or I would have been out $95.00. They still have my name and address on their silly little papers, but not my money or bank info. Let them come back. The magazines I was going to order were "Shotgun News" and "Guns and Ammo". That should tell them something. They wanted to come in, but not only would I not let them (Hi, I'm not *that* stupid. Letting two young guys bigger than me into my house when my Hubby's at work? Give me a break. I brought a tv table out to them.) my big mean dog wouldn't let them either....

So after much thought, I called the police and reported the poor lads. I had to. They might be cute, and they might be charming, but they are the worst kind of scum, even if they may be unaware of being so.

Herself,
The Goddess of Justice and Vengeance

Aylaleia
Astoria, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/13/2005 04:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Palmetto-Marketing/Coral-Springs-Florida/PMI-Palmetto-Marketing-attempted-ripoff-door-to-door-sales-scam-magazines-young-kids-153584. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Palmetto Marketing