Complaint Review: Papa Johns

• Submitted: Fri, January 05, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, October 10, 2010

• Reported By:Erie Pennsylvania
Papa Johns
Peach St. Erie, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Papa Johns refuse to enter building of a high rise of elderly and disabled Erie Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Same thing happened to me

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Okay first off..

*UPDATE Employee: Ex-Manager/Driver View

*Consumer Comment: Thomas, you totally missed the point

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Safety is no excuse for being a a**hole

*Consumer Comment: The threat of wrongful arrest is sufficient reason to stay outside the building

*Consumer Comment: Delivery Driver View

*Consumer Suggestion: Safety 1st

After ordering a pizza over the phone, and explaining to the order taker how to get into the secured building, the driver called me on the phone and told me it was company policy not to enter the building because of safty reasons and I had to come down, 11 floors, to get my pizza. He then asked me how much I wanted back from the $ 20.00 bill for $14.30 order. I told him all of it since I had to do all the work. He didnt even have the correct change and shorted me $.50 on my change.

This building is full of elderly and disabled. I am a disabled person and would find it very hard to rob a young 6 foot 230lb young man. I e-mailed the company and dont expect an answer at any time soon.I spent 35 years in the rest. business and would of never given service like this...I feel discriminated against

Bill
Erie, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/05/2007 06:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Papa-Johns/Erie-Pennsylvania-16507/Papa-Johns-refuse-to-enter-building-of-a-high-rise-of-elderly-and-disabled-Erie-Pennsylvan-228979. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Papa Johns

Same thing happened to me

AUTHOR: anonymous - (USA)

They hide behind their so called "Policies" so they don't have to do as much work. I know because of similar experiences that I've shared and the complaint opener just had. @ all the people criticizing...he forgot to mention that they charge a delivery fee (for me it's $2.00). Simply driving to the block where you live is not a "delivery". He is correct in posting that it is a ripoff, and a prime example of a company working the system so he has every right to complain on this site about it. Also, most disabled complexes have a security guard 24/7, I know because I live in a Government subsidised housing facility (low income apartments...with lots of disabled people).

Nobody is getting robbed in one, dudes. Get over yourselves and quit sticking up for the company ripping people off with a delivery fee when they only half deliver!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Okay first off..

AUTHOR: Cassieb21 - (U.S.A.)

I have worked at two different Papa Johns in Virginia. One in the Norfolk area (one of the worst areas) and the other in Smithfield, VA. In the part of Norfolk that I'm talking about there are buildings (walk-ups) with no elevators, and there are a few for the elderly and such with elevators. Now I have never heard of the policy that we don't go up in the actual building, now I know of the policy not to enter the actual apartment and/house because of safety. But come on seriously, you people who claim to have been drivers, you obviously haven't worked in an area as bad as I have, the fact that you don't go in the building (with an elevator no less) just labels you as LAZY drivers who don't want to do your damn jobs!!! I wouldn't have given you a tip either if you make me come down and get the pizza and I was elderly or such.
People like those drivers who don't go up the building, you're lazy and you shouldn't be delivering especially if you don't know how to handle customer satisfaction or service. Get a back bone drivers, I had to walk up 5 sometimes 6 flights of damn stairs to deliver pizza! Be grateful there's an elevator for you to use. Didn't know it was hard for you to ride the elevator up.
Read the policies, you're not allowed in someone's actual apartment or household. NOT THE ACTUAL BUILDING!

Ex-Manager/Driver View

AUTHOR: Rchristy121 - (U.S.A.)

Thomas....first off as an ex-manager of the company. There have been 3 locations I worked at that had hi-rises....mainly Downtown Indianapolis. All 3 have had robberies occur inside. Because the drivers went inside. Common sense. Limited Entry, limited exit. Needless to say all 3 of those employees were terminated for failure to follow company policy.

Those 3 reasons for refusing to enter a building are true. We don't want a customer to lose a couple hundred dollars and we as a company have to suspend the employee who did nothing wrong until the crime has been investigated and it turns out the money is in a pants pocket.

2nd) As I said....1 way in, 1 way out. Hi-rises are one of the scariest places to enter as a delivery driver. Mainly for that reason.

3) Why the hell would you expect the driver to go up 11 stories to get to your unit? He doesn't make crap. He's there to bring the food to your place of residence....but he is not required to walk up stairs or ride an elevator both of which are very good places for a robbery to occur.

Use a little common sense before you cry "Discrimination".

Thomas, you totally missed the point

AUTHOR: Juliet - (U.S.A.)

It isn't that the drivers are afraid to go into secured buildings cause they might get robbed ---- it's because if one of the RESIDENT'S has a robbery, the delivery driver will be a prime suspect if he knows how to get into a secured building. Or any other violent crime that occurs within the building.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Safety is no excuse for being a a**hole

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

First off I was a Papa John's Employee for 3 years, 2 of those as a driver. I live in Houston Texas, population4+ million. I live in the city, not in the suberbs. There were several APARTMENT complexes we did not go too, but a 11 story high rise? If it was indeed a secured building you had to be let into, regardless if it's an elderly population or not, I would be fine with going up to the unit. Ok all you lazy, scared lil kids, if it's a SECURED building you have be let into and you get robbed by god knows who besides a resident it's the building that's liable. How many crooks have you heard that rob delivery drivers in a guarded controled access building? Not apartment complex but highrise building? If you are too scared to go ina building that is guarded get out of the buisness, because you are more likely to get robbed in or outside your car than anywhere.

The threat of wrongful arrest is sufficient reason to stay outside the building

AUTHOR: Juliet - (U.S.A.)

I was hoping drivers would respond to this, cause I was very curious as to why the driver wouldn't enter the building.

For the sole reason of preventing wrongful arrest, as a suspect in break-in, due to now knowing how to get into the building - for that reason alone, I am on the side of the drivers, 100%.

When the OP wrote they were "discriminated" against, that really bugged me. Everyone screams discrimination at the drop of a hat. As one of the respondents noted, sounds like the OP was treated totally fairly, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER CUSTOMER who lives in a secured building.

And to shout discrimination over not having a pizza delivered directly to your door - woe unto the writer if they ever ARE truly the victim of discrimination. They'll completely fall apart.

Delivery Driver View

AUTHOR: Josh - (U.S.A.)

I am a delivery driver with Pizza Hut, which most of the "Big 3" have a lot of the same rules and regulations. Most likely the driver refused to enter for one of the following reasons:

1- If a crime we to happen in that building, the Delivery Driver would be a suspecct, since he now knows how to get into the building.

2-Self-Protection. The Driver may not have been worried about you, usually it isn't the customer that worries us, it is the person who robs us coming back from the customers house. You can look up "Pizza Guy Shot" or "Pizza Guy Robbed" on the internet and find THOUSDANDS of articles. Many of which were young people (Around 12-13) robbed them. Others are people of elderly age. You don't have to be big to hold a gun on someone.

3-If the company were to find out that he went into the building, it could cost him his job. If you filed a complaint with the store that you ordered from, they probably apologized over the phone and then told the driver he did the right thing.

4-People who INSIST that we come up/or throw a fit if we don't, are sending up a big warning flag.

I read that you thought you were discriminated against. If anything you were being treated like any customer, any age, race, class, would have been treated.

Also, I do have to mention that you "force-tipped" a driver $0.50 becase he didn't have the change. He did not come up the stairs but the guy still drove to your house, to bring you your dinner. Don't be surprised if this happens again. Many drivers will remember a situation like this for a very long time, and if you do order again, many drivers will hold a grudge. I wouldn't expect you pizza to be on time for a while. That's just a Delivery Driver's point of view on the situation, maybe you can understand why it looks like we are "being jerks" but we are just watching out for our own saftey.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Safety 1st

AUTHOR: Russ - (U.S.A.)

I'm a driver in the suburbs, and I do not enter any residence, whether it's a $500,000 home or a one bedroom apartment. Why? SAFETY!

So you had to take an elevator to the ground floor, sorry for the inconvienence. The driver was trying to avoid the inconvienence of being robbed or assaulted.

A driver was killed three years ago while making a delivery in Mississippi. In the past two weeks there have been 6 documented robberies of drivers.

When we're working, people know we have food and cash on us, might as well paint targets on our cars.

All this for $6.00/hr plus tips.

Oh, right, you stiffed the driver.

Google "tip the pizza guy" and check out some websites.