Complaint Review: Park Avenue Cleaners Shoe Repair & Alteration

• Updated: Thu, November 18, 2010

• Reported By: Anymouse — Las Vegas Nevada USA
Park Avenue Cleaners Shoe Repair & Alteration
1000 S. Rampart #19 Las Vegas, Nevada United States of America

Park Avenue Cleaners Shoe Repair & Alteration Owner: Hrair Akoopie Rubber protective shoe soles: Price-Gouging and then if you request a refund he will charge a "cancellation fee"! Las Vegas, Nevada

A few weeks ago and having read some good customer reviews, my wife took some shoes to this establishment to have some non-slip soles put on.  When told it would cost $48 (original shoe was approx $25) she left only one out of four pairs needing the same work because it was a lot.   Also, she need those shoes for an up-coming wedding.

Later that evening we decide that $48 for this type of work was over-the-top, so decided I would go back first thing in the morning, hoping the shoe would still be there untouched.  It was and I politely asked for a refund on presentation of the receipt.  The owner told me that he did not have enough cash in the register but could give me a refund to a certain credit card.  This was strange in that the original purchase was a pre-paid CASH transaction and he would incurr a merchant's fee if he did this. I was not happy with this and told him I would be back later that day and for him not to do any work on the shoes.

Six hours later I returned and again asked for a refund the shoes. He then told me that he would only refund $43 out of the original $48 and when I asked what the $5 was for, he stated it was a "cancellation fee".  I asked if he was serious as I had NEVER heard any shoe repair place charge a cancellation or consultation fee. I then asked where that "policy" was stated, either in writing or verbally (there was no notice posted anywhere).  His only retort was as owner, he could charge whatever he liked, time was money and he had spent 15 minutes explaining the repair to my wife and he had to schedule a pick-up (like these were the only shoes going out that day). Basically, he flat out refused to give me a full refund even thoug he had done NO work and the shoes were still there.

Having consulted a consumer attorney, apparently, he did not break the law or any ordinance by making-it-up as-you-go-along.  Was it bad business and customer service?  Very likely.  Since it was only $5 and a small cliams court filing fee is $57, I cannot pursue it further.  However, I do find it a very dubious prcatice since nothing was written on the ticket/receipt nor posted in the store.  Clearly, he seemed upset that he was only getting one out of four shoes at $48 a pop and then the customer decided to cancell!

Later I found out through a MUCH better and more consumer-friendly shoe repair place that this guy doesn't even do the repair on his own premises but farms them out to.....a cheaper place and then charges top dollar because his store location is in an "up-market" area of town.  I eventually got the job done within 24 hours at a cost of $28 and that proprietor did not charge any "extras". He also did not require a 5-day turnaround.

This owner and his business has been reported to the local Better Business Bureau and his current A- rating is likley to slip since I'm convinced he won't even respond to the allegation let alone try to make amends.  It is not worth my while taking him to court over $5.  However. I want to warn the public about his dubious, hidden practices of price-gouging and if you should decide to get a refund, cancellation and/or consultation fees.  I would have accepted it had the work been started or the shoes sent away but they were not.  He was not able to gouge us, so he decide to charge a cancellation "fee".  The first time I ever heard of this type of charge froma shie repair place.

Hopefully, folks will think twice about using this place and I'm fairly certain that the business he will lose will be substantially more than the $5 he stole from me.

Caveat emptor!  Buyer beware..................

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/18/2010 05:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Park-Avenue-Cleaners-Shoe-Repair-Alteration/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89145/Park-Avenue-Cleaners-Shoe-Repair-Alteration-Owner-Hrair-Akoopie-Rubber-protective-shoe-663699. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Park Avenue Cleaners Shoe Repair & Alteration