Complaint Review: Park Avenue Lasek

• Updated: Wed, September 11, 2013

• Reported By: Sylviany — Houston Texas
Park Avenue Lasek
102 E. 25th Street New York, New York USA

Park Avenue Lasek Dr. Emil William Chynn Scam Artist Lasek Surgeon New York New York

*UPDATE Employee: Rebuttal to Accusations

Let me just explain that what happened. So at this center a patient is not allwoed to get a complimentary consultaation as 99% of all the places in the US. Consullation is always complimentary. In any even I have found out about this Doctor that he had several sexual harrassment complains as well as financila compalins as mine is. I have paid a deposit of $500 with my credirt card to reserve a time slot on the calndar for the Lasik surgery but saldy I moved out of the state so clearly, I wont be able to do the surgery in NYC. I have called and aske many times about the rfunt due to my relocation and they simply vanished. Its a scam, you will never see your money and furthermore will be harrassed ont he spot about your dating life and other perosnal question. Do not see this guy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2013 06:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Park-Avenue-Lasek/New-York-New-York-10010/Park-Avenue-Lasek-Dr-Emil-William-Chynn-Scam-Artist-Lasek-Surgeon-New-York-New-York-1083543. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Park Avenue Lasek

Rebuttal to Accusations

AUTHOR: Mark, Director of Communcations - ()

Hi,

Thanks so much for your feedback. It always is great to hear back form our valued customers even if it's negative because we are always striving to improve our practices and avoid making the same mistake twice!

While I appreciate your feedback, it is unfortunately inaacurate. Firstly your consultation is indeed complimentary at Park Avenue LASEK. You may be asked for your medical insurance information when you come in but this is only to see if some of the cost of your procedure can be covered by your insurance. We will only bill insurance with your written acknowledgement and understanding. Also a lot of other centers have moved away from free consultations in the past 12 months and many have started charging a consultation fee, something which we at Park Avenue LASEK is unfair at this stage of the process.

I'm sorry if Dr. Chynn's delivery wasn't to your liking and I will agree that he can rub some people up the wrong way. This is primarily due to the fact that Park Avenue LASEK is a teaching institution(largest refractive surgery fellowship program in the U.S) and Dr. Chynn expects only the very highest standards from his staff.

A difference in personlity shouldn't take away from the fact that Dr. Chynn is a phenomenol surgeon whose training(Harvard, Columbia, Emory, Dartmouth) and results are second to one. Would you prefer a terrible surgeon who you get on great with or a world leading ophthalmic pioneer whose personality may not be compatible with yours?

In terms of the money you deposited. I regret you had to pull out of your procedure due to relocation but you, like every patient, signed a payment receipt record which explicitly states that your deposit is non-refundable, a relatively standard business procedure.

We actually keep the deposit credited towards the procedure for many years so even if you have to postpone for some reason, your deposit is still good and counts towards your procedure. Finally, if you really decide you want to back out, you can actually transfer the deposit over to a friend or relative whou you think would benefit from a life free of glasses/contacts

Once again I'd like to thank you for taking the time to give feedback and I hope my response has been informative and helpful.

P.S You referenced how you deposited for your LASIK procedure. This is impossible as Dr. Chynn stopped performing outdated LASIK techniques in 2005 and switched to exclusively performing the newer, safer, non-cutting LASEK procedure. Common misunderstanding!