Complaint Review: Parkland Hospital

• Updated: Thu, March 21, 2013

• Reported By: Juliana — Dallas Texas
Parkland Hospital
5201 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas, Texas United States of America

Parkland Hospital In Dallas, Texas, cheating the Federal Govt and providing Substandard Care to Indigent! Dallas, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Sigh

*Consumer Comment: comments

*Author of original report: YOU ARE THE IDIOT

*Consumer Comment: Idiot

I am unemployed and thus at present I lack healthcare. I became very ill and with this being Texas with all the medical care providers going to a "For Profit" model I called ever doctors office I could and was told they would not see me without at least a few grand on me at the time of visit or insurance of which neither I had so I went to Parkland hospital.

I was directed to urgent care where I waited in a huge waiting area for 12 hours until I was finally called back to see a doctor. I had terrible neck pains and a high fever and my neck was clearly swollen. I never got to see a doctor. It appeared they only had one on duty in their entire urgent care where hundreds of people come each day.

I was prescribed medication without really any sort of checkup and told if I do t get better to see my PCP. Well, I did not get better. I got worse. Much worse. So I decided to sign up for their health insurance plan. [continued below]....
..... After signing up I went back to the urgent care again for a swollen gland, neck, throat problem and after sitting 13 hours in the lobby I was called to the back. The nurse was shocked to see my neck and was so worried about my thyroids she ran out to actually, to my relief, bring in the doctor. The doctor casually strolled in and had a little wooden stick in his hand and told me to open my mouth and say "Ah" which as soon as I did he said "sore throat" and turned around and walked out.

He was with me less than 1 minute.

I know that wasn't a good evaluation.

I've never been with any physician in my life for less than one minute. I just wonder how much the federal government is reimbursing the physicians for these visits. The doctor simply didn't give a damn.

He prescribed some amoxillin and told me to see my PCP. Unbelievable.

I had waited 13 hours for a one minute (less than one minute actually) doctors visit.

I can tell you Parkland hospital is providing substandard care. They won't use any of their X-ray machines, etc. to adequately try to see what's going on with you unless you come in on a gurney.

These Texas doctors and medical establishments suck. They are greedy bastards ALL. All trying to get rich. Overcharging on all procedures. Cheating the federal government and Medicaid and Medicare. Texas is full if these little pop up "for profit" places where they do 5000% markup on all their services, etc.

These doctors LIE. They care nothing about serving the sick. They only care about serving themselves. May God have mercy on such a cold hearted ruthless money hungry state.

To all the evil Republicons who will try to evicerate me I will say profit should not be in the healthcare system. What good is a state of the art healthcare system if a third of the people in this country can't access it and are being left to DIE? The emergency rooms won't check for cancer or other life threatening diseases. They will only help if you are on your deathbed right then and there.

I HATE DOCTORS IN THIS STATE. I WISH THEY WOULD ALL GO TO HELL.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/20/2013 06:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Parkland-Hospital/Dallas-Texas-75235/Parkland-Hospital-In-Dallas-Texas-cheating-the-Federal-Govt-and-providing-Substandard-C-1036537. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Parkland Hospital

Sigh

AUTHOR: Slayte - ()

Unfortunately, u're missing the point. I too am a part of the Parkland program atheirs not easy to navigate. When thou sign up for the program, they don't tell you that it will be 6 or 8 months before you -- as a new patient -- can be seen for the very first time.

Then when you're sick and call in to make an appointment, that's when they tell you -- at least this happened in my case. I suffer from severe asthma and explained this when I called in february to make my appointment. I was essentially told 'that's too bad, you still have to wait. Otherwise you have to go to parkland ER. I have NO income and dont get unemployment or any other kind of financial assistance (which is why i was approved for the program). So why go to ER and make a bill I can't pay? I can barely scrape together money for the clinic visit. Where would I get he extra money to pay the bill? The person the phone said: well just have 'em bill you later?'

Really? And when the bill comes how will I pay it? Since getting on the hospital program in january i havent been abke to find work.

Is Parkland or Dallas County hoping that by making it a long wait that people will just die?

I know that people with and without insurance have to wait long hours to be seen at Parkland. The problem is, this shouldnt be the case, period!!! No one should have to wait 10 or 12 hours to seen, let alone 6 to 8 months. The system needs to be fixed for everyone.

Hopefully, I'll eventually get the medical treatment I need, that is if I don't die before then.

comments

AUTHOR: Jeanski - ()

Jack, are you the OP? I recall it was a woman, but maybe I'm wrong.

Stacey is right, and the OP's post reflects one of the many things wrong with our health care system. Yes, the wait in the ER is long, because it takes time to evaluate the true emergencies that come in: gunshots, heart attacks, strokes, etc.  And the problem isn't limited to Texas, or the uninsured. My mother has excellent insurance and when I took her to the hospital when she had a stroke there was STILL a wait. I have no insurance and my doctors all require payment at the time of service.

I had occasion to use an ER once when I thought I had appendicitis. The waiting room was packed, and the patients were predominately black. This was a racially diverse community with only one hospital. A few minutes after I arrived, a teenage girl arrived and she was obviously in greater distress than I or anyone else in the room. She was crying and vomiting. We were the only two white women in the room.  We both waited over 8 hours while all the others were seen.  I was extremely pissed because the majority of them seemed to have arrived in groups and they were eating McDonalds, talking and laughing and not a single one of them appeared to be ill.  I can only assume they used the ER because they had no insurance or couldn't afford to go to the urgent care or a doctor. So perhaps the biased doctors you refer to have had experience with black patients who utilize the ER unnecessarily.

To the OP: sounds like strep (but I am not a doctor). There is no reason to suspect a thyroid problem when you present with a fever that indicates infection. It takes all of two seconds for a doctor to look in your throat, see the white crap in the back and declare strep or tonsillitis. What did it turn out to be?

BTW: next time you are demanding a medical test, think about how much it costs to purchase and maintain that equipment, pay the techs who operate them, the radiologist or pathologist who has to interpret the results, the ER doc who treats you, the nurses who provide hands-on care, the admin staff, and janitorial staff, etc. It's not cheap! I think the doctors are right to avoid unnecessary tests and procedures.

YOU ARE THE IDIOT

AUTHOR: Jack - ()

Maybe it's because I'm black that I can't find a doctor to work with me. I've called dozens of doctors and they ALL SAY that I have to "PAY ON THE SPOT" or else they can't assist me. Maybe you are white. I just read a report from Princeton college that stated their was a high degree of bias medical doctors held towards blacks.

Maybe that's it.

And for your information Parkland has an URGENT CARE CLINIC that serves as a doctors office. It is TOTALLY SEPARATED from the emergency room. They get reimbursed by the county AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT for providing medical treatment to the poor.

And yes the wait was 13 hours. It stays packed.

But again by point STILL STANDS which is I didn't get GOOD CARE. So YOU SIR are the IDIOT!

You know this is Texas which is known for racism. Instead of working hard to correct this you redneck idiots scream "just leave" all the damn time. Why not scream for once "stay and fight! Make it fair".

You dumb imbecile.

Idiot

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

Parkland is a Level I Trauma Center therefore they are going to treat those who are in need of immediate medical care instead of someone who has the flu/cold/strep throat.  I have never heard of a physician in the Dallas area who refused to treat a patient without a "few grand" up from unless it was for a specific procedure.

I lost my job after 13 1/2 years and my insurance yet my Physician works with me.  There are lots of clinics in the Dallas Area that treat low cost/uninsured people just do a search!  You bitch about the wait time - maybe it was because the DRs were treating a heart attack victim, a person who was burned or shot.  Parkland is NON profit therefore is paid with the taxes of people like ME!! How do you in this day and age think you were left to DIE because you had strep???? Any Hospital will admit you regardless of your lack of insurance - it is the LAW!

If you HATE all the DRs in the area then MOVE!!