Complaint Review: Partner Van Lines "Art Of Moving"

• Submitted: Sat, June 27, 2009
  • Updated: Sun, June 28, 2009

• Reported By:San Saba Texas
Partner Van Lines "Art Of Moving"
2500 Old Middlefield Way, Suite B Mountain View, California U.S.A.

Partner Van Lines "Art Of Moving" Bait and switch company Mountain View, California

*Consumer Comment: This is a Common Game Scam Movers Play

I had serveral companies inspect my 3 bedroom condo for cross country moving estimates. Partner's agent seemed a bit cavalier, I don't think he even had a notebook to make notes or record his proposal, and I was surprised at his estimate of "not to exceed 12K lbs for under $6000. I did not feel good about the company because of his attitude and his seemingly too low price. The other companies (with more name recognition) had much higher estimates, and I expected to go with one of them. One of them told me to be certain to check whoever I used on BBB. So I did, and was surprised to learn that the top 2 contenders had 26 and 28 complaints respectively against them. I then turned to Partner who had only 2 complaints. I reluctantly decided that maybe they knew what they were doing and could give me a good rate and have no problems. Big mistake.

Moving day came, and I was not ready. They helped me to pack. They were reassuring. We began at 8 am, and we did not finish until 11:30 pm. They had to come back with their small van truck 3 times at least. We were all exhausted. As we were finishing they handed me a satisfaction survey. I think the only real reason to hand me that survey at that time was to have me read that (according to them) it is customary to give the men moving me a TIP! I did not. (i don't think that was what was so bad about them, it was just quite irritating. I have never tipped a mover before.)

The next day they told me that I had enough stuff to fill a 6 bedroom house, and that the quote they gave me had to be voided. They actually accused me of adding stuff to my move (I had added one large table, but I actually left a lot greater volume of stuff I had told them I would take) Now they went from under $6000 to over $12000, more than double the original quote, but now they had my stuff.

The manager/owner or whatever he was told me that my stuff was in the city, and that i could have any one of the ones that i had originally contacted to come get it at no charge. I think that would have been the smarter thing. Instead, I decided to go forward and pay them even though it was an apparent bait and switch type of company.

So they moved my stuff. When it arrived, there was tons of stuff broken that had been very carefully packed. They even broke the leg off of my very antique Duncan Fife dining table, scratched my tv armoire in many places, broke the arm of my antique camel back couch, and in general were unsatisfactory. It was infuriating.

I failed to purchase the moving insurance. Then I failed to fill out my complaint to them within the 9 months (i am still unpacking, so i hadn't even figured out what all was broken). My bad! But Parter is a very bad moving company. They bait and switch and then accuse you of padding your load. Don't make the same mistake as I did. Buyer beware!!!!

Trish
San Saba, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2009 11:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Partner-Van-Lines-Art-Of-Moving/Mountain-View-California-94043/Partner-Van-Lines-Art-Of-Moving-Bait-and-switch-company-Mountain-View-California-465683. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Partner Van Lines "Art Of Moving"

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

Getting you to look on the BBB for complaints is a stupid way to determine whether a mover is good or not. To begin with:

1. The number of complaints fails to take into account the number of moves each mover does. The reputable movers do millions of moves. The scam mover hasn't done anywhere near that number and may - in fact - have only done 2 moves.

2. The BBB gives better grades to its members. There was once a mover with over 600 complaints and they had a grade of A-. Go figure. ROR has several pieces on just how corrupt the BBB is.

If a mover asks you to consult the BBB, discard them from consideration.

BTW - it is standard to tip a mover; the guys doing your move are the lowest paid shlubs in the industry and they need the tips.

I would also add the price for doing a cross-country move is about $1 per pound so $12,000 for a 12,000# move is about right....the price is exactly what I would expect the price to be.