• Report: #941998

• Submitted: Sun, September 16, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, February 27, 2013

• Reported By: Senior — MENTOR Ohio United States of America
PawPaw Mail

PawPaw Mail Jackson Hughes BEWARE, refuses to cancel account when requested, makes seniors pay for program they don't use! WILL NOT RETURN YOUR CALLS or EMAILS!! Internet

*Author of original report: UPDATE: Company made a mistake

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Apologies for error

*Author of original report: Update

Beware of PawPaw Mail, the email program for seniors that you can read about online. It comes across as a legit company, especially having been published in the NY Times and other articles, but once you deal with them you will find the truth.

I signed up for the $8/mo. plan over a year ago for my Grandma. They answered the phone when we had a question about the account. Then she stopped using it.

Once I realized she wasn't going to get into it, I called PawPaw mail to cancel as the $8/mo kept coming out of my account. I have screen shots of their website that says in two different places that you can cancel anytime. I sent THREE EMAILS and LEFT VOICEMAIL over the course of three weeks and they have still not gotten back to me!

I had to cancel my credit card in order to get their withdrawals to stop. What kind of unethical, poor-customer serviced and greedy business is this? What if it had been my grandma trying to cancel, would they ignore her too? How many seniors get taken advantage of that don't know any better?

Please beware when signing up for an account with these people - when you need to cancel, they will ignore you and continue to take your money anyway. [continued below]....
..... This is seriously disgusting for a company that purports to deal with seniors who don't have a good understanding of the internet.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2012 11:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PawPaw-Mail/internet/PawPaw-Mail-Jackson-Hughes-BEWARE-refuses-to-cancel-account-when-requested-makes-senior-941998. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PawPaw Mail

UPDATE: Company made a mistake

AUTHOR: Senior - (United States of America)

I just want to reiterate that this company did make a good faith effort to resolve this and I am completely satisfied. Apparently my emails went into their spam folder (not sure why phone call wasnt returned) but they did refund my money and apologize profusely, including the president himself Jackson Hughes. I am very satisfied and I do feel as though this was an isolated incident and would be comfortable referring people to them.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Apologies for error

AUTHOR: Jackson Hughes - (United States of America)

First, let me say how sorry we are that this happened.  It is certainly not our intention to continue recurring payments beyond a cancellation, and this was quite simply an error on our part.

Unfortunately, we cannot explain how your voicemail went unanswered, other than to say that it must have slipped through the cracks.  This is unusual, and we are implementing a more integrated phone support system to make sure it does not happen again.

Finally, please rest assured that we will do everything we can to make sure that this issue is resolved to your satisfaction.  We are a small business founded to assist people who have some difficulty using conventional systems, and the last thing in the world we want to do is to add difficulty to any part of the process -- either for your grandmother in using the system or for you in administering it.

Please accept our apologies for the difficulty surrounding the cancellation; we will be in touch with you directly to make sure that the refund (which apparently went to a cancelled credit card) makes it to you right away.

Thanks very much,
Jackson
(Company President)

Update

AUTHOR: Senior - (United States of America)

Update: The day after writing this report, PawPaw had their third-party checkout service cancel my account and issue a refund of the previous month. They still have not gotten ahold of me to explain what went wrong, apologize, etc. Plus, a lot of good a refund does when I already cancelled my credit card (I won't be seeing any money now) However I did want to note that they have now officially cancelled the plan. I'm not worried about the money, I just hope they will pay more attention to people with this issue from now on and not just ignore them.