Complaint Review: Pay Pal

• Reported By: Mel — Alabama
Pay Pal
, Select State/Province USA

Pay Pal Doing Business with Pay Pal is Very Risky WA

Pay Pal is an enormous company, owned by E-Bay, and it has millions of satisfied customers.  But doing business with this company can be very risky: it has ensured that its customers have few if any rights, it is arbitrary, and it wants your most sensitive personal information.  Why?

My story: I used Pay Pal ONCE.  I sold a used item on ebay, for approximately $1000.00.  Although I was reluctant to accept payment via Pay Pal, most buyers wish to use it.  I was able to open an account, and provide a name, address, telephone and checking account numbers in order to accept payment.  I was comfortable with that.

I shipped the sold item, and the buyer made payment.  The buyer later expressed his satisfaction, writing a positive evaluation on ebay.  Shortly after the sale, I received a phone call from a Pay Pal employee.  She asked a few questions, and then told me that my account was being suspended because my cell phone had a FL area code, while my mailing address was listed as CA.  My explanation for this not particularly uncommon condition did not persuade her.

Sure enough, Pay Pal did not deposit the money the buyer had paid.  I received multiple emails asking me to "complete my account information" by providing them a Social Security number and credit card information.

I had several problems with this: neither piece of information was a condition of opening the account, so I wondered how Pay Pal could make that a condition of delivering what was, after all MY money.  I have been a victim of identity theft, and I didn't want to share my SSN, much less my credit card information with Pay Pal.  Had I known that would be required, I would have elected not to engage Pay Pal's services.  And really... how could Pay Pal even assume that I had a credit card?  What if I didn't?  How does Pay Pal arrogate itself the right to alter the terms of account ownership and freeze funds AFTER the a transaction has been initiated?

Well, part of the answer is that it isn't a bank.  It doesn't have to comply with bank regulations, and the fine print to which I agreed when opening the account requires that all disputes be settled by arbitration in the State of Washington.  Good luck with that!

I am a uniquely stubborn person.  I wasted some time writing emails, making phone calls, and generally attemting to get Pay Pal to deliver my money.  But I absolutely refused to give it the personal information it demanded.  I got nowhere: just more emails reminding me to "complete my account information."

The good news - and I want to be absolutely clear on this - after six months of ignoring Pay Pal's attempts to collect personal information to which it had no right a condition of depositing MY money, Pay Pal paid up.  The company won't explain this, but clearly it either has an in-house policy, or some rule or law with which it must comply.  It WILL give you your money after six months.  Which begs the question: what is Pay Pal's obsession with collecting all that personal information?

I got paid.  Pay Pal lost a customer forever.  And I will be very gratified if this report warns off even one individual from doing business with this company.  One need only read a few more reports here to learn about the bad things that can happen when that company is entrusted with personal information like SSNs and credit card numbers.

Electronic communications.  Financial "innovation."  I'll be the first to admit that an internet age offers us lots of convenience, and the odds are it will work out.  I buy from Amazon all the time.  But when it doesn't... it really doesn't.  Draw the short straw, and good luck trying to fight a vast corporation in Washington.  We are sheep to be sheered to companies like Pay Pal.  I'm warning you from experience... Pay Pal will do whatever it wants, with no regard for your rights.  This is one convenience you can skip.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/21/2013 03:31 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pay-Pal/Select-StateProvince/Pay-Pal-Doing-Business-with-Pay-Pal-is-Very-Risky-WA-1086356. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pay Pal