• Report: #207088

• Submitted: Mon, August 21, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, March 17, 2009

• Reported By:Atlanta Georgia
Payless Sewer & Drain
409 Springfield Dr. Woodstock, Georgia U.S.A.
  • Phone: 770-420-6511
  • Web:
  • Category: Plumbing

Payless Sewer & Drain outrageous ripoff Woodstock Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Hire the least expensive Plumber first!

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: NOW THE TRUTH

*Consumer Comment: You got a deal!

I want to warn as many people as possible in the Atlanta area about "Payless Sewer and Drain" (what a joke THAT name is) and the ridiculously high prices they charge: it amounts to theft, plain and simple, and their sneaky practices don't help.

I called them on Thursday morning because we had a leak (drip) under the kitchen faucet, resulting in standing water in the cabinet located under the sink. I will give them brownie points for having a live and friendly human being pick up the phone instead of the usual voice mail. This nice lady did tell me that there would be service charge of $47.50 (and that's whether or not you choose to have the repairs done) but I consider this to be perfectly reasonable. She also told me that the plumber would give us an estimate of the costs for the repairs before doing the job: again, up to this point, everything seems A-OK!

More brownie points for being quick to respond: even though I never requested a "quick" service or ask for "as soon as possible" (afterall this was certainly no emergency), someone was available to come to our house 2 to 3 hours later. I do want to give them credit where credit is due!

So here comes Larry-the-plumber around 3pm on Thursday: I was busy upstairs when he rang the bell so it's my husband who opened the door and talked to him while he was looking at our leaky faucet. When I came down, Larry had already told my husband we really should replace the faucet, as a repair would only work for so long, and they were discussing when he could come back to do the job. The next day (Friday) was not convenient for us but Saturday was OK and Larry said he would be there around 9:30am. In the meantime we had to go purchase the new faucet (already a $140 item)that Larry would install.

Remember the nice lady on the phone who said the plumber would give us an estimate of the costs for the job to be performed? Right: well Larry never provided us with said estimate, whether written, oral, or nothing. PLEASE NOTE THAT I will take some responsibility here, as we should have demanded the estimate before moving on. What happened was that --because he had been talking to my husband and was just about ready to walk out the door when I finally came downstairs and saw him, I thought that surely he had given my husband the estimate. So yes, I should have requested it (had I realized it was missing), but wasn't it Larry's job and responsibility to provide us with such estimate in the first place? That's what the lady on the phone said would happen, right? You tell me.

So on Saturday morning Larry comes back: it's 9:40 when he arrives, he promptly removes our old kitchen faucet and replaces it with the one we had purchased. The whole thing takes him less than 45 minutes, and THAT's when he calls me, just before he's ready to pack up his tools and leave, and presents me with a paper to sign. The paper specifically says "WORK ORDER AUTHORIZATION" and of course, this is the estimate I was supposed to get the previous day... authorizing him to go ahead with the repair and quoting me the cost. Even if he had "forgotten" to give it to us on Thursday, he should still have given it out before doing the repairs, and not now that the job has already been performed and he is ready to pack up and go.

I just about have a coronary when I look at this after-the-fact-estimate and/or job authorization: $47.50 for the service call of course (OK) and $248.15 for replacing the kitchen faucet in less than 45 mintues, for a grand total of $295.65. And this is when I went downstairs to ask my husband what he had talked about with Larry on his previous visit and whether an estimate had ever been given. And of course I learnt that it had not been the case. Again, I accept partial responsibility but still feel Payless Sewer and Drain are compelled to give estimates before doing the repairs, whether or not the customer forgets to ask.

I did give Larry his check as I realised there was not much I could do at this point: as soon as he had the check (that was a good 3 minutes after I had just seen and signed the "work order authorization" for a job already done), I had to sign the same paper once more to confirm that the job had been completed. This is why I say they are sneaky: this whole thing is orchestrated and they take advantage of people by not giving out estimates before doing the repairs at outrageous prices.

$248.15 for 40 minutes of work replacing a kitchen faucet?? On top of the $47.50 service call of course. And that is on top of the $140 we had to pay to buy the new faucet (ourselves) - that is over $435 dollars to replace a faucet: does that make any sense to you?

So how much do plumbers like Larry make an hour? Am I in the wrong business or what! Maybe I should call and see if they would take me as an apprentice. What is done is done, and I've learnt my lesson, but scam artists like "Payless Sewer and drain" should be exposed and I intend to do just that. My husband is in the real estate business and will spread the word around the Atlanta metro area, and I will also report that company to the Better Business Bureau.

Joelle
Atlanta, Georgia

STOP! ..before you think about using the Better Business Bureau (BBB)... CLICK HERE to see how other consumers were victimized by the BBB's false or misleading information. Don't be fooled! It has been reported, when there are thousands of complaints and other investigations underway by authorities, the BBB has no choice but to finally give an UNsatisfactory rating to a BBB member business that is paying the BBB big membership fees every year. When a business is reported that is NOT a BBB member, BBB files WILL more likely show an UNsatisfactory rating, then reportedly shake down that company to become a member of the BBB. One positive thing about the BBB is, either way, if a business has an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB, you can be sure, the business is bad. But what about all those BBB member businesses that had complaints filed against them? Consumers never get to hear about them. What about the BBB advertising to the public? Is this a false and misleading perception they are giving about consumer confidence when dealing with a business? Click here to understand more of what consumers and business alike are saying about the BBB. You decide. ..Remember. The BBB membership is not earned, it's paid for!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/21/2006 05:52 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Payless-Sewer-Drain/Woodstock-Georgia-30188-3603/Payless-Sewer-Drain-outrageous-ripoff-Woodstock-Georgia-207088. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Payless Sewer & Drain

Hire the least expensive Plumber first!

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

It seems to me that so many of you consumers will never wake up... Why don't you use some common sense and shop around for the least expensive plumber, before you commit to them doing the job ?...

Why do you wait until after the fact to do your complaining about how you got ripped off ?...

Did you not know that Plumbing is a highly skilled profession, similar to what a dentist does ?... In fact I have had several Medical Doctors admit that the skills involved with plumbing and dentistry are very similar...

If you think Plumbing is so easy, then do the repairs yourself... you will soon discover that only highly gifted people can perform plumbing. I hold a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology, (2) state licenses and a multitude of certifications. I have more education than most Doctors and lawyers, and charge accordingly for my premium quailty services... and you thought Plumbers were under-educated, didn't you ?...

Plumbers protect the health of any nation. If it were not for Plumbers, civilization could not exist in cities... All the luxuries we take for granted... every time you flush that toilet and get a drink of water, you better thank that Plumber...

Here's a suggestion to all you consumers who take us Mechanical Contractors for granted... Change professions and learn how to fix your own mechanical/plumbing problems.

Maybe then, and only then, will all of you stop complaining and nagging about our high well deserved prices.

In the year 1995 there were 10,000 licensed plumbers in the state of Georgia.
Now in 2009 there is only 6,000 licensed plumbers. There is currently a 5% attrition rate for the construction industry.

What this means is that you better get used to the fact that plumbers are a dying race, the younger generation is not interested in getting their hands dirty.
Prices for everything have gone up due to inflation..."supply & demand".

If you continue to complain, we just might end up having to be hunter gatherers again, I will say it again people... "You can not live in cities without Plumbers".

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

NOW THE TRUTH

AUTHOR: Richard - (U.S.A.)

THIS MAN AND WOMAN DONT KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER.WHEN SOMEONE COMES TO MY HOUSE TO PERFORM A SERVICE NO MATTER HOW MINOR IT SEEMS, I ALWAYS ASK FOR A QUOTE SO I CAN DISCUSS THE FINANCIALS WITH MY WIFE.IF THE TECH DOESNT GIVE ME ONE THEN HE DOESNT DO THE WORK.I AM AMAZED AT THESE PEOPLE,THEY SUPPOSEDLY DIDN'T GET A QOUTE BUT YET THEY INVITED US BACK INTO THEIR HOME THE NEXT DAY AND LET US PERFORM A SERVICE AND THE WHOLE TIME NEITHER ONE OF THEM ASKED THE OTHER HOW MUCH IT WAS GOING TO COST. I FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE.

THE FACT IS THEY WERE GIVIN A QUOTE IN WRITING AND ASKED US TO COME BACK AND INSTALL THEIR NEW FAUCET AND WE DID. NOT UNTIL AFTER THE WORK WAS DONE AND IT WAS TIME TO PAY DID SHE GET INVOLVED. AND START COMPLAINING 3 WEEKS LATER ABOUT IT.I GET SO TIRED OFF PEOPLE TRYING TO GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING. AS A CONSUMER MYSELF I ALWAYS KNOW WHAT SOMETHING COST AND AS A CONTRACTOR I HAVE A RESPONSIBILTY TO INFORM MY CUSTOMERS UP FRONT ABOUT COST. IT IS NOT MY FAULT THEY DONT COMMUNICATE.WE ALWAYS GIVE PRICES UPFRONT JUST TO AVOID CRAP LIKE THIS.

WE HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 8 YEARS AND SERVICES APPROX 6500 NEW CUSTOMERS A YEAR AND ROUGHLY 3500 REPEAT CUSTOMERS A YEAR. ALL OUR CUSTOMERS DONT NEED OUR SERVICES EVERY YEAR, GOOD FOR THEM BAD FOR US, BUT THEY DO CALL US BACK. WE DONT WANT CUSTOMERS LIKE THIS.OUT OF APROX 80000 CUSTOMERS WE HAVE MAYBE 10 COMPLAINTS. THAT AINT TO BAD.

AND FOR ALL OF OUR LOYAL PAST AND FUTURE CUSTOMERS WE THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE YOU. IM SURE YOU CAN READ THRU THE LINES WITH THIS CUSTOMERS SILLY COMPLAINT.BUT THATS WHAT MAKES THIS COUNTRY GREAT, THAT THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO SO.AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME ANY TIME.

RICHARD
770-420-6511 PAYLESS PLUMBING SERVICES

You got a deal!

AUTHOR: Kirsten - (U.S.A.)

The average faucet replacement is a cost of $550-$600. It sounds like they charge by the job and not by the hour. Charging by the job can be benifical for the customer since you receive one price for a job that can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours and the price does not change. I suggest in the future if you find it too expensive to hire a professional service to do the work that most households prefer not to do, than go to your local home improvement store purchase the item yourself and install it. This way all you are paying is the retail stores profits.

Plumbers get a bad rap because most consumers do not appreciate the work they do. But when there is a leak, sewage back up, and etc. everyone is in desperate need of someone to take care of the problem and are so happy to get the problem resolved, it's after the fact having to pay for the services does the tune change. Plumbers are the doctors for your home and do not even come close in prices compare to what we all pay for medical doctors!