Complaint Review: Paypal

• Updated: Thu, May 08, 2014

• Reported By: Final Straw — Minnesota
Paypal
Internet USA

Paypal sent me into overdraft and their explanation made zero sense. Cannot deal with them anymore. Internet

*Author of original report: Uh... yeah but no.

*Consumer Comment: Totally Your Error

*Author of original report: Paypal sent me into overdraft - and their response made zero sense. Done.

I bought an item off of ebay for about thirty dollars. At the time, I knew I didn't have any money in the bank account attached to my paypal, so I asked a family member if I could use her credit card instead and I would just pay her back.

That's exactly what we did. Entered the number, waited for the transaction to be authorized, done.

Several days later I notice that instead of charging the card I gave them, they skipped that part and withdrew money from an empty bank account, pushing me into a huge overdraft.

When I wrote to them, I got back the explanation that the bank account was set as the primary form of payment, with this new credit card as a back up.

...

The mental gymnastics one needs to do to envision a world where one would have a bank accout - (which if you are lucky like me, keeps letting things go through even when the balance is zero) as Plan A and a credit card (usually limited) as Plan B are pretty advanced.

Most transactions on paypal go the other way simply because that makes sense. If you hit your limit on a credit card, use up your paypal balance etc - it draws from your bank account.

Why in the name of all that is holy would I add a credit card during a purchase on the payment screen if I wanted the money to come from my bank account? It boggles my mind. IF the payment screen has anything indicating that this is what will happen, it's not obvious and I definetely did not notice anything of the sort.

Just thought I'd add to the chorus. I had troubles with them before - enough is enough.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/04/2014 07:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Paypal/internet/Paypal-sent-me-into-overdraft-and-their-explanation-made-zero-sense-Cannot-deal-with-the-1144051. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Paypal

Uh... yeah but no.

AUTHOR: Final Straw - ()

Not sure how you would know that, but no - I entered the credit card number in the form to PAY BY CARD. I went back again after this occured and the same options came up - just to double check I had not indeed made a mistake.

I didn't.

One has to go out of their way, or at least according to my payment screen options on this re-checking of circumstances (as to be completely frank I am the first one to eat my words if I see that I made a mistake, but I did not.) to select a bank withdrawal as the default.

Little weird that someone random would shill for Paypal but I'll leave it be. Like I need more trouble from this/them.

Totally Your Error

AUTHOR: coast - ()

You incorrectly assumed that the alternate funding source would be selected.

During the payment process you were prompted to select a funding source. You did not select an alternate funding source; therefore the default source was used.

Paypal sent me into overdraft - and their response made zero sense. Done.

AUTHOR: Final Straw - ()

...

The mental gymnastics one needs to do to envision a world where one would have a bank account - (which if you are lucky like me, keeps letting things go through even when the balance is zero) as Plan A and a credit card (usually limited) as Plan B are pretty advanced.

Most transactions on paypal go the other way simply because that makes sense. If you hit your limit on a credit card, use up your paypal balance etc - it draws from your bank account.

Why in the name of all that is holy would I add a credit card during a purchase on the payment screen if I wanted the money to come from my bank account? It boggles my mind. IF the payment screen has anything indicating that this is what will happen, it's not obvious and I definitely did not notice anything of the sort.

Updated to fix typos.