Complaint Review: Penn Foster

• Submitted: Thu, April 17, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, November 07, 2012

• Reported By:coweta Oklahoma
Penn Foster
14300 N. Northsight Blvd. Suite 111, Scottsdale, Arizona U.S.A.

Penn Foster, Penn Foster complete rip off, mediocire "education", C average "professors" Scottsdale Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: Go to college if this isn't for you.

*Consumer Comment: CURRENT PENN FOSTER STUDENT

I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster and am to the point right now that I dont want anyone to make the same mistake that I made, by wasting your money on this school or even thinking for a moment that you can get any kind of credible degree from this place.

Every course is the same, you read 600+ pages in a text book, that is poorly wrote and answer questions about it on tests. There is no "homework", there is no interactive tools to use to learn this stuff, YOU teach yourself 100% by reading, which you can NOT do and expect to REALLY learn.

You have practice questions for each chapter, the answers are in the back of the book, but I found out FAST that you can not rely on the answers they give you to be correct. I finally challenged it after several questions that I believed the answer was wrong and only after I emailed the professor did they tell me that there was a printing error. A known error that they never bothered to fix or to tell you was wrong until you ask first. I was right, the book was wrong.

The order that you have classes is completely wrong. Example: I am taking accounting. My 2nd class was Math for financial accounting. My 3rd class was accounting principals. You do the classes one at a time (I had to complete my 2nd class before even recieiving the books for the 3rd class.) In Math for financial accounting they gave you the formulas to solve all of the accounting problems, but did not explain why or how the formula were the way they were. The 3rd class, accounting principals goes back through EVERYTHING you learned in the math class and explains why in depth and to the point of confusion. Somethings are overly explained and others are not explained nearly enough. Its never a comfortable medium, its one or the other.

The tests cover things that you have not yet learned. Example I took a test on Chapter 2 and there was a question to something that I had never covered. When I looked it up, it was in Chapter 4. POORLY WROTE!

According to the book, and the formulas and charts they give you to work out problems, questions on the tests are also wrong. I emailed a professor for help after I worked for hours to do a problem just like the text book showed me, and I failed a test and their answer was Sorry, cant help you until you retake the test. They said its a valid question, but according to the information they give you in the text book, which is ALL you have to go on, its not. The professors are unwilling to help you when you truely need help.

And among all these problems, the degree is not credible. There are ALOT of people on message boards, Q&A boards, etc. asking the answers to the questions of tests. If you think about that, why would ANYONES degree be worth the paper its wrote on if half of the people publicly cheat? Its not.

Save your money and go else where for an education.

Shely
coweta, Oklahoma

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/17/2008 11:03 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Penn-Foster/Scottsdale-Arizona-85260/Penn-Foster-Penn-Foster-complete-rip-off-mediocire-education-C-average-professors-S-326768. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Penn Foster

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Go to college if this isn't for you.

AUTHOR: calmdown - (Canada)

This school is the most convenient option for full-time workers and parents as well as persons who are unable to leave the house regularly. It's an easy solution to the over-whelming work load and expenses that educational institutes often dump on hard-working students. Students seeking secondary education are often in it for their careers, not for what they actually learn.

CURRENT PENN FOSTER STUDENT

AUTHOR: Margaret - (U.S.A.)

I would not take classes from here for a Degree, because in order to get a real degree you attend community college or a state 4 year college.

I do like the certificate programs because I can get additional training on things I need and want such as computers. I took the Secreterial course and was very pleased with it and right now I am taking the PC Fundamentals and after completing that I am taking the Microsoft MOUS Certificate.

I view this school as a TRAINING SCHOOL only, not a place to advance in the degree field.