Complaint Review: Pennzoil

• Updated: Sat, February 02, 2013

• Reported By: countrynewsman — Killeen Texas USA
Pennzoil
P.O. Box 809004 Houseton, Texas United States of America

Pennzoil Rebate Ripoff! Company will not honor copy of receipt as proof! Houseton, Texas

*Consumer Comment: It Figures....

*Consumer Comment: Pennzoil scam

*Consumer Comment: Pennzoil Requires An Original

*Consumer Comment: Rebates

*Consumer Comment: Well, first of all the reason the "copy" isn't good enough is

*Author of original report: Copy should be proof for Pennzoil as well...

*Consumer Suggestion: The rebate form did specify "the ORIGINAL receipt.

When I had my oil changed at a lube facility, I was given a rebate form and told that I would receive a coupon for several dollars off my next oil change if I completed it and sent it in along with a copy of my receipt.  Since I was using expensive Pennzoil Platinum, I thought this would be a good idea and I mailed the required information.

On September 16, 2011, I received a post card from Pennzoil's rebate department in Houston, Texas, that I did not qualify for the rebate since I sent a copy of the receipt and not the original, which they require.  Further, the card stated that a resubmission must be postmarked no later than September 15, 2011.

I would not consider sending an original receipt for reasons that should be obvious.  I need the original for my maintenance record and in the event I have a problem directly resulting from the oil change.

However, it makes little difference now since Pennzoil made sure I received the postcard after their resubmission deadline.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2011 02:07 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pennzoil/Houseton-Texas-77280-9921/Pennzoil-Rebate-Ripoff-Company-will-not-honor-copy-of-receipt-as-proof-Houseton-Texas-777683. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pennzoil

It Figures....

AUTHOR: JohnK - ()

You could have wadded the receipt up and thrown it out the window with the same effect.  I have been doing rebates for over 30 years and I have NEVER had issues, except with Shell/Pennzoil (SOPUS).  Time and time again I have to complain to get what is owed me.  This last time they owe me $35 and I have complained all the way to the president of the company and all I get is the runaround.  HORRIBLE ATTITUDE!  BAD COMPANY!  I will NEVER AGAIN buy one of their products.

Pennzoil scam

AUTHOR: Tom - (United States of America)

The following is from the Pennzoil website, instructing on how to obtain the rebate.

"Include a copy of your printed installer identified and dated service Receipt, or your printed retailer identified and dated cash register receipt showing your required Pennzoil motor oil purchase. Brand and type required on invoice. (Please retain the original oil change receipt for your limited warranty records.)"

I also received the rejection notice, because I did not send the original receipt.  I did, however, follow up and sent the original copy.  I did not get a rebate though.  I received a $15 check made out to Jiffy Lube.  This does not even qualify as a rebate, as it is not refunding money for a product or service that has been provided.  It is, essentially, a fancy coupon to use on my next visit to Jiffy Lube.  Pennzoil's use of the english language is very suspect.

Pennzoil Requires An Original

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

...because copies can be altered and copies could be used to get multiple rebates.  It isn't simply this company; if you want a rebate from any company, you need to submit the original.  You can keep the copy for your maintenance records because you have no financial gain in altering your own receipt.  The fact the response left you with minus 1 day to make things right....unfortunate, and they may have even cut you a break on it, but in the end, that is a consequence of not initially complying with the rules.

Rebates

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

are for suckers.

Well, first of all the reason the "copy" isn't good enough is

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

Pennzoil REQUIRES the original...it's one of the terms of the offer, which you chose to ignore with these consequences.

The difference is, they are trying to stop fraud via multiple rebate submissions.

I get the feeling this is going to continue to happen to you as you go through life doing things "your way."  At least it will give you an ever changing and continuous cause.

The re-submission would have required the ORIGINAL, had you planned to send it or just send another copy?  You brought this on yourself.  I doubt Pennzoil just saved your invalid submission in abeyance somewhere until they knew you wouldn't have time to re-submit....again, look in the mirror for the cause of your trouble.

NO sympathy here.

Copy should be proof for Pennzoil as well...

AUTHOR: countrynewsman - (USA)

The statement that a copy of the receipt for my oil change should be sufficient proof for maintenance records and for any problem for an oil change does not explain why a copy would not be sufficient for Pennzoil.  Your statement makes no sense.

Further, the situation remains that I received notice that I could resubmit a day after the deadline to resubmit.

I submit Pennzoil is using this campaign hoping that people will simply not bother to take the time to send in the form.  It is another of those rebate "come-ons".

#7 Consumer Suggestion

The rebate form did specify "the ORIGINAL receipt.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

When I send these in, I make a copy and keep that along with a copy of any other information required to be sent.

If you don't have access to a copier, use your scanner.

The copy should be proof for any other use you have for it, including any problems with the oil change.

If you just, NO WAY, can part with the original receipt, you forgo the rebate.... cause and effect.