Complaint Review: Penrith Farms

• Updated: Fri, February 07, 2014

• Reported By: Uaripoff — san diego California
Penrith Farms
662 Scotia Rd. Newport, Washington USA

Penrith Farms James Brewster, Sherry Brewster, John Brewster Abuse, Neglect, Investigation, CPS, False Imprisonment Newport Washington

*General Comment: My experience at penrith farms

*Consumer Comment: Setting the record straight. My Penrith experience

*Consumer Comment: Absolutely NOT true - Shame on you!

*Consumer Comment: AND

Scum of the earth, the Brewsters have been abusing youth and the community for many years. Everything from drugs, false imprisonment, sexual exploitation and fraud. They made their business private so they would no longer have to deal with the state and because it is more lucrative. They have been investigated MANY times and had children removed back in the 90's before they went private. They also defrauded numerous native american children whose placement was federally funded. They monitored food intake and most children were malnourished and did not have the necessities. Children were confined to rooms for minor infractions sucha as having too much food. Children were given cigarettes and drugs and were often encouraged to engage in other innapropriate behavior.

The following is a small sample of the type of issues which have occured under the care of Sherry and Jim Brewster. They currently have a former foster child serving a life sentence in Walla Walla. This is largely due to his mental breakdown he suffered after being under their care and subsequently being thrown on the street when he turned 18 and was no longer of monetary value to them. These people ARE criminals, Jim's son, who is a cop, had an incestuous relationship with Sherry's daughter. Santee, which produced a child. These people are sick and need to be investigated and put out of business.

They currently have a know sex offender on their payroll. I know for a fact he is a sex offender because I am related to one of his victims. Please see the attached information: MORE WILL BE ADDED IN THE FOLLOWING WEEKS.

www.disabilityrightswa.org/investigation-penrith-farms

PLEASE CHECK THIS URL AND READ

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/07/2014 07:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Penrith-Farms/Newport-Washington-99156/Penrith-Farms-James-Brewster-Sherry-Brewster-John-Brewster-Abuse-Neglect-Investigatio-1121892. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Penrith Farms

#1 General Comment

My experience at penrith farms

AUTHOR: ChrisB - ()

I was once a resident at penrith farm! My experience farms of penrith farms was the best experience of my life. I came to penrith at a young adolescent age with a very troubled past in and out of foster and group homes cause I was uncontrollable,  that is when Jim and Sherry Brewster offered to take me in for some odd reason they thought they could help me get on the right path and become a productive citizen in society and low and behold they did just that! I ended up drawing a very close bond with Jim Brewster like a father does with a son, Jim and Sherry Brewster became the parents I never had! My experience at penrith farms taught me discipline and accountability for my actions. As for being locked in our rooms that is untrue we could not be locked in our rooms cause there were no doors on the hinges to be locked. We would eat meals just like a family and if later before bed we went to bed and we wanted a snack we could have one with out any reprocussions. our food intake would be monitored but it was denied to us and it was monitored cause there were 5 - 9 other guys that lived in the tho use that we're fed too!

As for Jim giving us drugs and cigarettes that is also untrue the only drugs or cigarettes brought on to penrith farms premises was from me or other guys that lived with me and this was done with out Jim or sherry knowing! I can only praise Jim and sherry for there hard work they have done with so many troubled youth like and the great things they have accomplished with kids like myself that have come from troubled pasts. I am so thankful to my experience at penrith farms cause the person I am today is a reflection of what Jim and sherry Brewster taught me And the things I was taught while being under the care of Jim and sherry brewster! I was NEVER mistreated while being at penrith farms Which the accusations against Jim and sherry is false! I just wish I could go back to penrith farms and experience that whole experience over again and again because it was the best time of my life!

Setting the record straight. My Penrith experience

AUTHOR: momof3 - ()

I first want to say, that it absolutely breaks my heart to read this. I was a resident at Penrith Farms as a child and adolescent for many years of my life. My time at Penrith was during a time in my life when I was combative, assaultive, aggressive and had many other behavioral and mental health issues. I possibly was one of the worst behaved adolescents in the history of the Penrith Farms. I came from a background of sexual abuse, physical abuse and substance abuse. When I arrived at Penrith I was in the 6th grade, and I had already lived in at least 20 foster homes, several group homes, and a mental hospital for children. I hated everyone that I came in contact with. I hated myself. Penrith farms changed my life, although I would not realize this for many years. I learned integrity, honesty, self -respect, accountability, hard work, discipline, and the meaning of love. In addition to this, I also learned what it means to be able to look in the mirror with confidence. I learned how to budget, garden, harvest food, preserve food, cook, bake, sew, paint, ski, roller skate, play a piano, write poetry, ride horses, collect eggs from chicken coops, milk a cow, build with wood, meditate, do yoga, and so many other things that a child in foster care would never have the privilege to experience. I got to do all of this while participating in intensive therapy both one on one and in a group setting. I wish that I could say that I was able to graduate from Penrith, however, I was not. I was a run away, and when I would get close to anyone, I would run. I spent many years of my life running away. I ran from myself. When I finally stopped running, when I finally faced myself… I started wishing that I could run back to the place that I started, and for me it was Penrith. Every time that I am hurting, or need nurturing.. every triumph where I think of wanting to make someone proud it is Jim and Sherry Brewster. To the people reading this, I want to say that the person who wrote this post, stating all of these horrible things.. is a classic text book case of a patient at Penrith. Jim and Sherry not only open their entire life, homes, property and soul to every person that enters their farm.. but they also help the most broken of us all. They open themselves up in doing that to be ridiculed and abused on a daily basis. In fact, I personally put them and all 3 of their children (not to mention numerous other staff) through hundreds of hours of INSANITY. Cussing, screaming, breaking things, destroying property, ruining holidays. I was the worst. But you know what? Never once did they give up on me. To this day, they still love and support me. Today I am a productive member of society. My name is Stephanie Labarber. I write my name because I feel that strongly about this. I have graduated college, am a mother and a wife and have many years clean and sober. I am proud of me today. I made my own decisions, but for my entire life I have heard the voices of Jim and Sherry in the back of my mind guiding me. There is magic that happens at Penrith. I am one of the miracles that came from there. I would like to address some of the accusations that were stated. Starting with drugs at the farm. In my many years at Penrith, I did see drugs. They were drugs that I brought in myself and was ALWAYS busted with by Jim, Sherry or their other amazingly qualified staff. Remember that I said that I was a child and adolescent that was addicted to drugs when I arrived. There was an investigation in the 90’s where there was a foster child at the home that said to her social worker something about drugs and they brought in an entire investigative team. There were drug dogs and investigators that came and comed the entire expansive property only to realize that they had been duped by a girl who was horribly mentally tortured and rebelled against the help that she was being offered. Substance use of any kind is simply not tolerated at Penrith, not from anyone. This brings me to my second point. I was one of the residents that was on level zero. This is where you are “confined” to your room. I went to school, came home, had snack with my peers and then had to stay in my room until dinner. I then would eat dinner with my peers, do my chore and return to my room for the remainder of the night. There are no locks on the doors, and to be honest most of the time I was able to barter my way out of my room simply by asking and promising not to be a monster to everyone around me. I have never even heard in my entire life anything about sexual exploitation or fraud? I think it is the most horrific accusation of all however, due to the fact that Jim and Sherry have done so much to assist woman not only in their program, but also in the community in general with this exact issue. I hate to say issue, but it is the only way that I can describe something so horrible. In all of the years that I have been in the lives of the entire Brewster family I have never heard more of a hurtful rumor as the incest one. Jon and Santee were married, and yes they have a son Logan. Santee is Sherrys daughter, Jon is Jims son and they have no blood relation what so ever. They are both beautiful people and nobody ever thought anything of them being together because there has to be a blood relationship in order for there to be incest. There really is no reason to justify their personal decisions, and I hate that I am even doing so. The sole purpose is only to discredit such hurtful claims against such beautiful people. The claims about frauding Native Americans is a total joke. Jim and Sherry have many events specifically geared toward Native Americans and would have huge events that would teach us residents their culture. Jim went so far as to have a traditional sweat lodge built on the farm that he would have Native American leaders in society come out and to customary Native American days. Food consumption is monitored, however the purpose is to teach proper meal size proportion. There are always healthy snacks available, and I was NEVER told that I could not have something to eat if I was hungry. There are no locks on the fridge, pantry, or cupboards. If I stole cookies or snacks… I would be disciplined. Not because I was eating, but because honesty and integrity are some of the sole principles that are taught while at penrith. Also, I know for a fact that there are no sex offenders working at Penrith, that is another meritless accusation. Hurt people try to hurt people. This entire post is summed up as that. I am not sure if I am leaving anything out, I am pretty sure that I have covered most. The best years of my life were spent at Penrith. To this day, Jim and Sherry and their family are the only family that I have ever known. It breaks my heart that this type of accusation has landed on the internet. We live in a world that a person whom is mentally unstable can torture and humiliate and potentially ruin the reputation of a place as magical and beautiful as Penrith Farms.

Absolutely NOT true - Shame on you!

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I know who wrote this outlandish report and will say again - SHAME ON YOU!

I know you were one of the students there and was not only treated well, but with constant special treatment too (especially from Sherry) and for many, many years. You had the chance to improve your life and did so for quite some time. But you blew it and returned to your same old habits. And now you're miserable and disgruntled because of your OWN choices and want to ruin their excellant reputation? Not only are you a terrible liar and truly ungrateful, but you lack integrity and self-respect, as well.

See... I too, was one of those kids you claim to have been neglected and abused for so many years under the care of the Brewsters at Penrith Farms. I am also very familiar with the TRUTH about Jon and Santee not being related AT ALL and yet you have the audacity to call their relationship incestuous when you also know the truth? They are both amazing and very good people who treated you well.

I also happen to be at Penrith in the 90's during that investigation you commented on but know nothing about. I, on the other hand, know EXACTLY what it was about... another disgruntled, spoiled-brat kid that had to follow rules for once in her life and didn't get her way. I, along with the other 13 kids that resided there at the time, were ALL instrumental in ending that investigation due to false claims - and I plan on doing the same here with YOUR accusations.

Jim and Sherry have not only opened their home and beautiful property to try to help young adults with their issues - but they've opened their hearts, as well. They give 110% every single day, 365 days a year, with no vacations or time off -vEVER. And they've done so for over 30 years. Makes you wonder how their business has continued for so long if they actually treated people the way you claim!?!?

I'm going to take the 'high-road' here and tell a little bit about myself. Those that aren't familiar with Penrith Farms can certainly figure you (and your intentions) out for themselves.

I grew up in a small town with extremely abusive parents - both physically and sexually. I started using sex, drugs and alcohol at a very young age as a means of comfort and escape (as most abused kids do). I had very little supervision and did whatever I wanted. It was only due to a court-ordered counselor that I was even introduced to Jim and Sherry at the age of 14 (a very important time for a girl). Being able to live in a safe, structured, loving & nurturing environment allowed me to grow and mature in ways that I would have never been able to under my previous living conditions. It completely turned my life around. I was taught self-respect and gained valuable self-esteem through their process. Something that I continue to teach my own children today. Which doesn't come from getting everything you want or feel that you're entitled to (such as the cell phone mentioned in the investigation that was linked to your report). It comes from hard work and paticipating in something bigger than YOU. The reward isn't always money or any type of monetary gain, nor' should it be. It comes from being able to pat yourself on the back and feel proud of the job you've done well. Equally, you must also face the consequences for your own poor choices in life. They allowed both you and I the freedom to make personal choices and truly define who we are, who we wanted to be, and what meaningful, everlasting impression we were going to make while on this planet.

Unfortunately, you missed the lesson.

But this doesn't give you permissioin to blame Jim and Sherry and the entire staff at Penrith for who you are. Take personal responsibility for your choices and quit lashing out on those that were only there to try to help you. Their work continues to change people's lives - just as it did for me. And, trust me, change is extremely difficult and certainly uncomfortable... and sometimes not for everyone (such as yourself).

So please... "take your ball and go home" and quite trashing quality people with a quality program that is still available for others to take advantage of - if they so chose.

AND

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

HOW is this a rip off to YOU?