Complaint Review: Penske Truck Rental

• Updated: Fri, March 23, 2012

• Reported By: vcpitts2 — Las Cruces New Mexico United States of America
Penske Truck Rental
2227 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, CA 94612 Internet United States of America

Penske Truck Rental Penske Truck Leasing Repossessed truck with belongings, sent notification letter to wrong address, pilfered all my possessions. Internet

*Consumer Comment: Time to buy new stuff

In 4/10 I rented a Penske truck for a friend and all my belongings were inside. The same day, I flew to New Mexico to take care of my mother. I am still in New Mexico. For health reasons, my friend was unable to unload the truck and parked it in a parking lot in San Francisco. The truck was repossessed by Penske with everything inside and Penske sent a letter addressed to my attention to an address OTHER than what appeared on the rental agreement. When that letter was returned as a "bad address", they either "donated or dumped" all my belongings. I have spent two years trying to get a response from the Oakland Penske dealer (2227 San Pablo Avenue), their collections department, collections attorney in Florida, etc. I finally posted a blurb on their Facebook page voicing my displeasure and was responded to by their Director of Public Relations. He indicated it was my fault and denied Penske's liability in the case and offered me between zero and $5,000. When I told him I could get more in Small Claims Court, he stopped negotiations stating that I had threatened legal action. I then wrote a detailed demand letter to Penske Corporate counsel in Reading, PA with an itemization of belongings and estimated worth ($27,005). I asked her to answer my letter within 30 days. On the 29th day, I received a response indicating she would be back to me within 30 days (ha ha ha). She has not kept her word to date.  They are deliberately not investigating the Oakland dealer, checking where my things were allegedly donated or if, in fact, the employees stole my lifetime of possessions.  Their corporate offices seem unconcerned and are holding off on simply handling this through their insurance or otherwise.  This has been a total loss of faith, a sham, and dealing with a very underhanded company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/23/2012 12:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Penske-Truck-Rental/internet/Penske-Truck-Rental-Penske-Truck-Leasing-Repossessed-truck-with-belongings-sent-notificat-858374. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Penske Truck Rental

Time to buy new stuff

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

You abandoned the property.

Why was your property in the truck that you rented for someone else? You left your property with your friend that abandoned it. Your friend should be held responsible for the abandoned property.