Complaint Review: PeopleSmart

PeopleSmart
, Nebraska USA

PeopleSmart False info given Nebraska

*Consumer Comment: Somewhat agree

*General Comment: Just like everyone else.

I signedup with People Smart to look up an old friend. It was my assumption from reading the agreement that I had a 7day free trial. Any searches after the free trial I would be charged $19.95. My sign up date was July 15,2013. I cancelled on July 17,2013. I get my credit card statement and was charged $19.95. I called PeopleSmart and was told that I was charged $19.95 for my search and then had 7 free days to search. This is not what I read and I think this is a big rip-off. How many others are mislead. I will never use them again and will spread the word.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2013 09:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PeopleSmart/Nebraska/PeopleSmart-False-info-given-Nebraska-1078090. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PeopleSmart

Somewhat agree

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

Even though many people do not read their small prints, I think the OP has some legitimate claims here. Going through their payment process from start, the page suggested that there is a "Free Trial" and would pay $2.95 per month but will be billed annually. The message suggested that it is "Free" for the first 7 days because most people would understand that you will pay $2.95 x 12 for the sign up if cancel. Once clicked on the "Join" button, you will be presented an invoice to pay immediately via PayPal. There is a check box to ensure that you agree with message which goes along with the previous page (see below).

Yes, I agree to the Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, understand that unless I cancel during my free trial period, my card will be billed $35.40 annually, ...

The ToS page has a paragraph for their Free Trial (see below).

4. Free Trials

We encourage the use of our Services through free trials. Free trials generally last for one week for eligible new members. Free trials are only available to first time customers. You must have internet access and a valid payment source to redeem a free trial offer. Upon registering for your free trial, your payment source will be authorized for up to approximately one membership period of service. In some instances, your available balance or credit limit may be reduced to reflect the authorization; however, no charges will be made against the payment source unless you do not cancel prior to the end of your free trial membership period. We will begin billing your payment source for membership fees corresponding to your membership period at the end of your free trial unless you cancel prior to the end of your free trial. You will not receive a notice from us that your free trial membership has ended or that your paying membership has begun. YOU MUST CANCEL PRIOR TO THE END OF YOUR FREE TRIAL TO AVOID CHARGES TO YOUR PAYMENT SOURCE. We will continue to bill your payment source on a recurring basis on the anniversary of your membership period until you cancel. You may cancel your membership at anytime, and cancellation will be effective immediately. We do not provide refunds for any partial membership periods.

From my understanding after reading all the information, the "Free" is free; however, I cannot say it is because I DO NOT know what other information they present AFTER signing up. There may be another (or different) version of "Free Trial" information after you submit the payment information. If someone can verify this, the OP claim is legit.

#2 General Comment

Just like everyone else.

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

You are just one of the MANY web users that is always looking to skirt any fees. Oh sure you ONLY wanted to look up one person. Which is nice to say, but they dont care. You are useing thier services without paying them. Just because it is on the web doesnt mean its free. EVERYTHING COSTS!!!! That being said, you interpreted the service agreement in your favor. Thats the biggest mistake you can make. NO USER AGREEMENT PROTECTS THE USER!!! It simply points out like any contract what it does and doesnt deal with.

Pay the twenty bucks and then NEVER use the site again period. Always remember that there is no "free trial" or "free sample". They are buzz words to get you to give them the information they want. The Law no longer believes the consumer on online purchases. Companies have been burned so hard since online shopping came out that they now burn the consumer. And we have no one to blame but ourselves. WE DID THIS!!!