Complaint Review: Peoplefinders

• Updated: Sun, February 27, 2011

• Reported By: Melany — Saratoga Springs New York United States of America
Peoplefinders
1821 Q St., Sacramento, CA 95811-6718 Internet United States of America

Peoplefinders One time fee turns into monthly charge ~ will not refund BEWARE Sacramento, Internet

*Author of original report: Three Complaints Ended in a Refund

I was looking for one person and used the white pages on the MSN home page.  She could not be located, but I was directed to Peoplefinders, entered her name and was told that for $1.99 information could be obtained.  I had actually used them for several people about 18 months prior to this with no problem.

I agreed to the $1.99, entered my debit card # and received a page of info (which was outdated and unusable I might add).

That day(2/1/11) a charge of $.95 hit my account for Peoplefinders.  I thought that was odd but since it was only $1 off I did not pursue it.  On 2/7/11 a charge for $24.95 hit my account for Peoplefinders.  I called their 800-718-8997 number and was told that I had requested a special trial for $.95 that included three days to look up as many people as I liked.  If I did not cancel it within the three days I would be charged $24.95/month thereafter.  I told the nice young woman, Mary, that I spoke to that I did not agree to that and that I wanted her to mail me copies of the pages I had submitted showing that I did.  She said she could not mail them to me but that while we were talking she copied them to an email that she was sending that I should receive within 5 minutes.  I told her I would like a refund and she said she could not do that but would cancel my account.  I asked that my debit information be removed which she said she had done.  We hung up.

I waited and, of course, the email never arrived.  I emailed the company at "customercare@peoplefinders.com" that I was still waiting for her email and a refund and they said that I had been taken care.  I re-emailed that I had not been taken care of and that I wanted an immediate refund or that I was going to report them to every consumer advocacy group I could find.  They did not respond.  No email, no copies, no refund.  Buyer Beware!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2011 12:52 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Peoplefinders/internet/Peoplefinders-One-time-fee-turns-into-monthly-charge-will-not-refund-BEWARE-Sacramento-694183. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Peoplefinders

Three Complaints Ended in a Refund

AUTHOR: Melany - (United States of America)

I would like to report that after filing a complaint against PeopleFinders here at Ripoff Report I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission (all online) and on 2/26/11, I received a refund of the $24.95 that this company stole from me.  I do not know which agency is responsible for the refund, but I do thank whoever it is very much.  I just wanted anyone else that has been scammed by PeopleFinders to know that if you are tenacious, you will be able to get your money back.  Good Luck!!