Complaint Review: Peoplefinders.com And Privacymaters123.com

• Submitted: Mon, May 03, 2010
  • Updated: Mon, May 03, 2010

• Reported By: Dennis — Reynoldsburg Ohio United States of America
Peoplefinders.com And Privacymaters123.com

Peoplefinders.com And Privacymaters123.com Privacy Matters 123, Adaptive Marketing, Vertrue Peoplefinders.com set me up to be scammed by Privacy Matters 123 Internet

*Author of original report: US Search and Privacy Matters

I was going through my credit card statement and saw a $19.95 charge to a company called Privacy Matters 123.  I did not recognize the company, so I called my bank.  The bank immediately dialed Privacy Matters and I asked what the charge was for.  The customer service rep. really could not tell me, but offered to take the charge off, no questions asked.  So she closed my account and reversed all charges from my card.  Check it out, a front line customer service rep. reversing charges without consulting a manager or putting up any fight at all.  Sounds like business as usual, doesn't it?  I researched it further and found that this company I had never heard of, got my card number from Peoplefinders.com, who I did business with to find a phone number.  I paid them $3 and they gave my card number to Privacy Matters.  They say that I signed up for a free 7 day trial period for a credit monitoring program.  Well, all I paid for was a one time phone number and don't need and never applied for a credit monitoring program.  My guess is that they have a cute little deceptive click or two and if they cannot catch you that way, they bill fraudulently. I checked and the parent company is called Vertrue and has an F BBB rating.  Peoplefinders has an A+ rating, even though they have hundreds of complaints just like the ones reported here.  Do not use this company, you can get the same information free from addresses.com or zabasearch.com.  These people are bilking thousands of people out of millions of dollars and our government lets them march right on.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/03/2010 05:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Peoplefinderscom-And-Privacymaters123com/internet/Peoplefinderscom-And-Privacymaters123com-Privacy-Matters-123-Adaptive-Marketing-Vertru-599715. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Peoplefinders.com And Privacymaters123.com

US Search and Privacy Matters

AUTHOR: Dennis - (United States of America)

In my original report I falsely reported that Peoplefinders.com referred my card number to Privacy Matters; in fact it was US Search not peoplefinders.com.  As per my original report peoplefinders does use Privacy Matters, but they were not the ones who scammed me.  The scammers are Privacy Matters and they perpetuate that scam using A+ rated companies like peoplefinders and US Search (the ones who scammed me).  I have asked Peoplefinders to take the link to Privacy Matters down from their site, we will see what they do.  My feeling is that all of these companies who refer Privacy Matters know exactly what they are doing and are up to their eyeballs in this scam.  That seems true enough as you read the complaints. here.