• Report: #220996

• Submitted: Thu, November 16, 2006
  • Updated: Sun, December 03, 2006

• Reported By:Kingsville Ohio
Peoplespc.com
Box 26909 San Francisco, California U.S.A.

Peoplespc.com pdoes not take responsibility for long distance charges to my phone bill San Francisco California

*Consumer Comment: Local phone service is Cox

*Consumer Comment: Still not their fault

*Consumer Comment: It is surely People PC's scam!!!

*Consumer Suggestion: Not People PC's fault

I had been using peoplespc services for 2+ years with no problems, using a local dial up number provided by peoplespc, which I installed. Unbeknownst to myself, the local number changed to a long distance carrier, therein charging my phone account for 37+ long distance calls to Darin, CT., which reflects on my October 2006 statement. The amount to date I am being charged due to an error on peoplespc's part is $180.00. I have not yet received November 2006's statement, and anticipate further charges.

To try to rectify this matter I spoke with my long distance carrier who traced the error to peoplespc. I then spoke with peoplespc, and they will not take responsibility. Which leaves me.

I did not do this and I have canceled my account with peoplepc, however, do not feel I should have to cover these erroneous charges because peoplespc will not make restitution. I feel that everyone is "passing the buck" and I cannot afford to be the one who must take care of this matter, as I did not make the mistake. I simply used the local dial up number provided to me by peoplespc, which later "mysteriously" switched to a long distance number without my knowledge.

Al
Kingsville, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/16/2006 07:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Peoplespccom/San-Francisco-California-94126/Peoplespccom-pdoes-not-take-responsibility-for-long-distance-charges-to-my-phone-bill-San-220996. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Peoplespc.com

Local phone service is Cox

AUTHOR: Sylvain - (U.S.A.)

Dear Mike:
Thanks for your reply. I did talked to Cox, my long distance provider, the supervisor called me back said that its illegal for them to refund my money no matter its from midnight to 4 am in the morning or not. They did a research again on that proof that it was called or used the long distance. I should probally call the local TV stattion for that.

My point is nobody should ever pay for the strange bills like that no matter who authorized it. if you did not use it you should not pay for it. simple theory.

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

because people are complaining about getting "ripped off" when they are ripping off the phone companies by not using their landline.

Still not their fault

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

To Sylvan -

I am unsure as to what you are referring to in reagrds to the midnight to 4AM issue. Are you saying that your phone bill shows a charge to a long distance number from12 midnight to 4 am? Without you being on it? If that's the case, than I suggest you quickly contact the phone company, NOT People PC as it sounds like someone is wired into your phone line.

As for the following statement you made:

"After I subscribed the $5 month dial up service, there are always a message pops up said if I said yes to more local phone numbers the speed will be faster. I click yes, there is a small pop up said that long distance might be applied."

So a pop up box pops up, you click "yes", did you read the fine print? You clearly state exactly what I say above, that they CLEARLY STATE in the acceptance that long distance charges may apply. Did you verify the connection number and that it wasn't long distance? i bet you didn't.....

If people would stop clicking on things without reading the end user agreements, I would estimate that 75-80% of these types of rip off reports would stop. READ WHAT YOU'RE DOING

It is surely People PC's scam!!!

AUTHOR: Sylvain - (U.S.A.)

I got the same problem but the differences is I use the Internet for an hour a day, the bill shows that I have four hours long distance usage from midnight to four am. Sounds like some body will turn off the internet at 4 am.
Below is the complaint that I posted on (( link redacted by ROR)))
PeoplePC.com in Oklahoma make my phone bill increased $200 dollar per month.

Who knows every time I use the Internet will be long distance charges. I only use one hour a day, but the charges shows I use four hours, from midnight to four o'clock in the morning? who wake up that time to turn off the computer at 4 am?

I strongly believe that People PC use my long distance to make money and I paid the bill.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Not People PC's fault

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

This issue also happens with AOL online services and courts have already found in this matter.

The way that it works is usually in your agreement, it will tell you that the internet provider is NOT RESPONSIBLE for verifying the connection number is a local number and are not on the hook for payment due to calls made to a long distance number.

More than likely what happened was PeoplePC's local number you were using changed or is no longer in use (as happens frequently) and you didn't notice that you were dialing into a different number, usually a backup is stored as well as a primary.

However, this is no fault of PeoplePC's internet service as it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that the number you are dialing is the proper one.