Complaint Review: Pep Boys Auto

• Submitted: Mon, May 19, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, May 19, 2008

• Reported By:Annapolis Maryland
Pep Boys Auto
1911 West Street Annapolis, Maryland U.S.A.

Pep Boys Auto Tom Budd (Mechanic) Drove my car with no oil in it and damaged the engine Annapolis Maryland

*Consumer Suggestion: A very unusual situation

Had my car towed to Pepboys to have oil filter removed and to have them change the oil. I had already drained all of the oil from the car which is why I had it towed. I could not get the oil filter off, because it was seized on. I told the desk clerk to tell whoever, not to start the car because there was no oil in it. When I returned the next day to get the car the oil filter had been replaced and new oil had been put in. However, When I attempted to drive the car to work the next day the car was knocking and the further I drove the worse it got, so I returned it to Pepboys and suggested that the mechanic must have driven the car from the parking lot to the bay with absolutley no oil in it. They denied this, but the mechanic did look at the car and said that it was a little over filled with oil and yes it indeed did have a knock, but he could not do anything about without a supervisor approving it. The acting desk supervisor, James Ferrette told me that it was my problem and that they could do nothing about it, and that I must have brought the car in like that. So, I had the car towed by the same tow driver to the Saturn Dealer to have the car checked out and wrote a letter of complaint to the Office of the Atorney General. I am some kind of mad with pepboys customer service.

Michael
Annapolis, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/19/2008 06:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pep-Boys-Auto/Annapolis-Maryland-21401/Pep-Boys-Auto-Tom-Budd-Mechanic-Drove-my-car-with-no-oil-in-it-and-damaged-the-engine-An-333595. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pep Boys Auto

#1 Consumer Suggestion

A very unusual situation

AUTHOR: Fat Old Sweaty Elvis - (U.S.A.)

It's certainly plausible that a repair shop would fail to communicate instructions such as "Do not start engine."

But your situation is so strange I don't know how you could convince a manager or small-claims judge.

A seized oil filter? I don't know if it's impossible but it's definitely incredible. Seized threads are caused by things such as rust, moisture, age, and high temperature. The threads of an oil filter are protected from rust and moisture, are frequently replaced, and experience only moderate temperatures.

Your engine had major issues before your ill-fated oil change. You are not telling the whole story.