Complaint Review: Pep Boys

Pep Boys
7399 W Lake Mead Blvd Las Vegas, Nevada United States of America

Pep Boys Bait & Switch on repair quote. Las Vegas, Nevada

*Author of original report: Resolved

*Author of original report: The tap dance continues

*Author of original report: Correction to date

On Monday, May 7, 2012 I called this store to get a quote to replace a broken passenger side mirror on my 2011 Nissan Sentra. I was quoted $120 for labor plus the part. The part is available aftermarket online for approximately $50 - $70. In fact, in the proken pieces of the mirror asembly there was a price sticker for $53, so I had a pretty good idea of what the part should cost. I was advised that the part would have to be ordered and would take 3 - 5 days to receive, the overall quote was under $200. As the dealer quote - which I have in writing - for the same repair was $338, I was pleased to receive a lower price.

On Friday afternoon, May 11, 2012 I brought my car to this location to arrange for the parts order towards the repair. The service tech made the phone call to get the part, punched in my information for the car and the part and told me it would be $449 for the repair!  I questioned how it could be so much higher than their quote and he said it would $259 for labor and $120 for the part - essentially double their original quote. Now $259 and $120 comes to $379, so what was the additional $70 for? "That's just what it is" was his response. I refused and left.

I'm not adverse to a reasonable markup for getting a part elsewhere but a 100% markup is simply outrageous. They will now lose a customer and a repair job.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/14/2012 09:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pep-Boys/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89128/Pep-Boys-Bait-Switch-on-repair-quote-Las-Vegas-Nevada-882427. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pep Boys

Resolved

AUTHOR: MsT - (USA)

I found the part for my Nissan on Amazon for $45, far less than the $225 from the dealer or $120 from Pep boys (just for the part).  Pepboys did install the mirror as promised for no charge (and no warranty for the repair but I'm OK with that).

Situation resolved.

The tap dance continues

AUTHOR: MsT - (USA)

No contact from Pepboys store after the call that my mirror would be replaced at no labor charge.

Friday, May 18 I receive a phone call from Pepboys customer relations - was I happy with the way my issue was resolved. Resolved? I told Jeremy that it was not resolved and I hadn't heard from them. He said his notes indicated that the
store had been trying to contact me to do the repair. Well no, they didn't.

Jeremy updated the file. Saturday AM I called Pepboys who didn't have a clue as to what repair I was asking for and no parts were there for me. I called Jeremy back who said he'd forward it to an area manager and Saturday about 12:45 I
received a call from Pepboys as to when I'd like the bring the car over to put in the mirror, they needed to double check to see if any additional parts would be needed. I brought it right over.

The gentlemen at the service center had no parts for the repair. Frank came out and said his notes were that I would be supplying the part because I could get it cheaper (news to me, but fine). I will go order the part myself.

I remain unimpressed with how this entire situation has been handled.

Correction to date

AUTHOR: MsT - (USA)

I took my car over on Saturday, May 12, 2012 not Friday, May 11, 2012.