Complaint Review: Pep Boys

• Reported By: moni09 — Valencia California
Pep Boys
6511 Foothill Blvd Tujunga, California USA

Pep Boys Could have been prevented! Tujunga California

I took my car to be serviced at the Pep Boys located at 6511 Foothill Blvd Tujunga, CA 91042 earlier this week to change the spark plugs and get the coolant flushed, which was recommended. I did not have any problems with my car prior to bringing it in.
Today as I was driving to work, I saw steam coming out of my hood and I immediately looked at the dashboard and saw that the temperature gauge was already in the H area, red. I exited the freeway right away and parked and opened the hood and there was coolant everywhere. I called Pep Boys and spoke with Gus (the original person who helped me, and store manager) who told me to bring the car in and suggested I call AAA. I called the roadside assistance that I had but I was only covered for $75 so I would have to pay the rest.
When the car arrived at the shop, Gus was there and told me that they would inspect the car and if it turned out to be Pep Boys fault, they would take care of everything. He ended telling me that the hose was cracked and would need to be replaced and that that wasn't the fault of Pep Boys. How could that not have been their fault if my car's cooling system was fine before all of this? Plus they told me they supposedly inspected my car, so wouldn't they have found that hose in the beginning and we would have prevented this? I got my car taken there to prevent this from happening in the beginning. He offered to fix the upper hose for free but told me that I would need to fix for the lower hose out of pocket, which I couldn't do since I lost $300 of wages from missing work that day and had to pay a tow truck an extra $70. Comes to find out that Pep Boys has their own towing company which would have only cost me $30. This was never even mentioned to me by Gus and that was another thing that upset me as well.
When me and my husband were speaking with Gus, he mentioned how it was important to change the hoses when servicing a car for 100k miles..Well then why didn't he tell us when we did go there to service our car with the 100K package service? If we had known the hose should have been changed when they flushed the cooling system, then we would have changed it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/12/2014 02:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pep-Boys/Tujunga-California-91042/Pep-Boys-Could-have-been-prevented-Tujunga-California-1154337. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pep Boys