Complaint Review: Pet Assure (via GROUPON)

• Submitted: Wed, July 17, 2013
  • Updated: Wed, July 17, 2013

• Reported By: Dray — Columbia Maryland
Pet Assure (via GROUPON)
415 Cedar Bridge Avenue Lakewood, New Jersey USA

Pet Assure (via GROUPON) NO SAVINGS AT ALL - Pet Assure 6-Month Single Dog Plan Lakewood New Jersey

*Consumer Comment: Valuable discount program especially useful for those with older pets

*UPDATE Employee: Response to your complaint

*UPDATE Employee: Response

*Consumer Comment: Ridiculous

*Consumer Comment: Bad business

*Author of original report: Specific Issue Not Addressed

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Unsubstantiated claim

The service is to provide a reduced rate for pet clinical services at a reduced rate through their providers.  All their providers charge higher fees than available from others that are not in their network.  So there is no savings at all and you waste your money.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/17/2013 05:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pet-Assure-via-GROUPON/Lakewood-New-Jersey-08701/Pet-Assure-via-GROUPON-NO-SAVINGS-AT-ALL-Pet-Assure-6-Month-Single-Dog-Plan-Lakewood-1067638. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pet Assure (via GROUPON)

Valuable discount program especially useful for those with older pets

AUTHOR: Melinda S - (USA)

I've been a Pet Assure member on and off for 15 years. The program is most useful for those who own more than one pet or if you own an older pet. Within a week of renewing my membership this year the program saved me over a $100 on a vet visit for my 12 year old dog. In just a few months I've saved several hundred dollars. I live in Malibu, however I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, so budgeting is essential to me. The vet I use is Dr John Lupo, his prices are comparable to other vets in the area and vets in the San Fernando Valley. The is another vet in the valley who also takes the Pet Assure insurance and is known to be a "discount vet". To claim the vets who take Pet Assure overcharge or have higher prices hasn't been something I've experienced. In fact of the two vets in Malibu, the vet who take Pet Assure is the less expensive of the two vets. What I like about Pet Assure is it's a discount plan with no age or preexisiting condition restrictions.

Response to your complaint

AUTHOR: Pet Assure Customer Care - (USA)

Dray, thank you for you feeback. This information is very helpful. We are always trying to improve our list of veterinarians that honor the discount. While by far most of our members are pleased with our thousands of participating practices across the country, we understand that there are occasions that our members do not have a good experience with a practice. If you have a poor experience with a practice in our network we want to know about it. You can always give us a call at 888-789-7387 and we are more than happy to investigate your experience as well as help you find another location near you that accepts our discounts.

Response

AUTHOR: Pet Assure Customer Care - (USA)

We're sorry you had a poor experience. We update our list of vetinary practices daily. If you would like help finding a network vetinary office or if a network vetinary office is not complying with the plan, our customer care team would be happy to help. They can be reached at 1-888-789-7387.

Ridiculous

AUTHOR: Erik - (USA)

This is the most ridiculous report I have have ever read on ROR.  All of the vets that participate with Pet Assure (PA) operate indepently and, accordingly, their rates have absolutely nothing to do with PA.  Moreover, I have not found particpating vets to charge any more than non-particpating vets.  In fact, the vet we have been using for the last few years particpates and their rates are some of the most reasonable in the area.  Furthermore, they are certainly not starved for business; there are a half dozen clients in the waiting room every time I am there and surgeries are booked out 2-3 weeks at all times.

As far as vets trying to upsell to their clients, this is a widespread practice that has absolutely nothing with PA or the vet's particpation with PA.  Virtually every vet sends out annual vaccination reminders despite the fact that AAHA recommends 3-year intervals or more for virtually all of the essential vaccinations.  Virtually every vet recommends year-round heartworm protection despite the fact that there is absolutely zero chance of your pet getting heartworm during the winter months if you live in the northern states (mosquitoes cannot function under 50F).  The list goes on and on and the best defense against this is simple: Educate yourself, be your pet's advocate, and learn how to say NO.

All in all, while I don't personally believe someone with one pet will find much value in the plans offered unless that one pet spends an inordinate amount of time at the vet, I think the plan has significant value for those with multiple pets.  After a couple visits and one minor surgery, we saved $300-400 in our year with Pet Assure, which more than compensated for the $39 we paid for it through Amazon Local.

Bad business

AUTHOR: Bad business - ()

This company is a rip off. Their vetereinarains are starving for business because they can't keep a customer. They will sell you anything under the sun to make up for your discount. Not only that but they have bad business practices by lying to their customers and offering them free websites for reducing their price. All to bring in new customers they can't keep. Terrible veterinarians. Your better off going to a reputable and referred vet for their preformance.

Specific Issue Not Addressed

AUTHOR: Dray - ()

I checked all in-network providers including mobile ones around zip 21046 for their rates for pet services.  All of their rates with the specified discount from Pet Assure came out to be higher than the providers that are out of their network. So the discount purchased from Pet Assure is worth less and waste of money.  So my advice to any one contemplating buying any deal from Pet Assure should first consider calling their in-network providers for rates for their services and compare with the rate for the same service from out of network providers.

#7 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Unsubstantiated claim

AUTHOR: Charles - ()

This is a blanket, unsubstantiated claim with no validity. Veterinarians are the most upstanding members of the medical profession and have typically chosen their profession because they want to help pets - they are not money-hungry in any sense. Very rarely, have we found a veterinarian engaging in the type of activity claimed here. Approximately 10% of US veterinarians participate in the Pet Assure program and this complaint is an insult to the veterinary community.

Pet Assure has 150,000 member households and is offered by over 5,500 companies as an ‎employee benefit. We investigate every price gouging complaint (have had less than 10 such complaints in our 18 year history) and, if found true, we terminate our contract with that practice immediately. We have not received any ‎such complaint recently which makes this allegation suspicious.‎