Complaint Review: Pet FInder.com

Mc Arthur, Ohio United States of America

Pet FInder.com Camelot Puppy Sanctuary Scammed Mc Arthur, Ohio

*Consumer Comment: Contracts

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Rebuttal to complaint

*Consumer Comment: You're right.

Through Petfinder.com we traveled over 6 hours and got scammed a few months later by Camelot Puppy Sanctuary in Mc Arthur, OH....This is unbelievable....

A Scottish Terrier ("PIPER") was adopted in May from an organization called Camelot Puppy Sanctuary in MacArthur Ohio which was found through PETFINDER.COM . A contract was signed with the terms of agreement to Adopt this animal out to myself and I reside in Elkins West Virginia, and this contract is attached.

I was never given a copy of the original contract, and never was under any verbal agreements AT ALL. The woman named Stephanie Veradilis who is the ONLY person I ever spoke with said that the board of directors for the organization has decided they want the dog back under the pretenses that I have not supplied any photos (which I now HAVE done so) and that I did not complete any visits with the local humane society in my state (which had to be rescheduled for TOMORROW)and that there were verbal agreements that I have not complied with and that there are witness that I HAVE NEVER SPOKEN to to prove this. [continued below]....
..... I NEVER made ANY verbal agreements, and I have followed the contract exactly. .

I missed ONE appointment due to illness and had rescheduled for Wednesday August 7th. The woman Stephanie Veradilis is claiming that there were verbal agreements that I have not complied with alongside with the adoption. I NEVER made ANY verbal agreements, and I have followed the contract exactly, this woman states that we have no choice but to give up the dog and is threatening legal action unless we allow her to "REPOSES" our beloved Pet. She states that this contract has the ability to be verbally modified at her discretion, which is completely absurd and does not sound legal.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2012 02:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pet-FIndercom/Mc-Arthur-Ohio-45651/Pet-FIndercom-Camelot-Puppy-Sanctuary-Scammed-Mc-Arthur-Ohio-923821. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pet FInder.com

Contracts

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"Amanda misunderstood the process of adopting a rescued animal and the terms of adoption and ability to alter a contract.  It can be altered when and if BOTH parties agree to the terms.  "

Written contracts can be amended in writing.   There is no such thing as a verbal amendment to a written contract.

#2 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Rebuttal to complaint

AUTHOR: Camelot Puppy Sanctuary - (United States of America)

Amanda misunderstood the process of adopting a rescued animal and the terms of adoption and ability to alter a contract.  It can be altered when and if BOTH parties agree to the terms.  On several occasions over the 3 month period that she had possesion of Biscottie, i merely asked for confirmation(through pictures and updates) that the animal in question, was in the situation that we agreed to.  When Amanda was non responsive, i was beginning to wonder if the adopted dog was still in her home.  I was not, in any way, trying to alter our agreement, just trying to give her the opportunity if she needed to.
She agreed, as primary caregiver, to have the dog with her at her place of business.  The dog, evidently, was only there for a few days, then left at home with her babysitter and an infant child.  I questioned the fact that the 'babysitter' was now the primary caregiver and asked to speak with that person, which Amanda refused to allow me to do.
I networked with the local humane society in her hometown,(Elkins, WV) to do a home/business visit to check on our adopted dog.   On both occasions they were met with contempt, and never did allow the Humane society folks to confirm the dogs well being.  It was on their recommendation, that i start the process of re-claiming the dog.  When the dog was finally surrendered to the local humane society, she was underweight, covered with fleas and had a uterine infection.
Needless to say, we were very happy to have her back.  Amanda's original donation of $30.00 was returned immediatly.  Amanda always had the option to be present her case in a civil court and allow a judge to decide the case.  She chose not to. We commit to our adopted dogs for life, so their ultimate well being is of the utmost importance.

You're right.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

" She states that this contract has the ability to be verbally modified at her discretion, which is completely absurd and does not sound legal. "

I think "absurd" is an excellent description of her notion.   People who say things like this are merely trying to bamboozle you into doing what they want.    In the real world, the purpose of a written contract is to solidify a verbal agreement.    If written contracts could be verbally modified, there would be no point to having written contracts.     I have never heard of a court that would accept ANY verbal modification of a written contract.  It flies in the face of basic contract law.

If you have truly abided by the terms of the written contract, you have nothing to worry about.