Complaint Review: Pet First Insurance Company

• Submitted: Wed, December 05, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, December 07, 2012

• Reported By: warren from nyc — Jackson Heights New York United States of America
Pet First Insurance Company
1 Quartermaster Court Jeffersonville, Indiana United States of America

Pet First Insurance Company first month policy is a scam Jeffersonville, Indiana

*Author of original report: cat had no preexisitng conditions

*UPDATE Employee: PetFirst Strives for Coverage Understanding

I adopted a cat from the Animal Control Center of NYC which is our Pound. This is funded by City taxes. As part of the adoption process, the ACC gives each adopter a one month Health Insurance Policy for your pet ith Pet First as many of the animals were strays or unwanted pets and this is an incentive for people to adopt from them. So the premium for one month is paid for by City taxpayers!  My cat had a severe upper respiratory illness that last 3 weeks and needed 5 medicines and 4 vet visits. Cat even needed to be re-hydrated interveniously! She would have died had I not tkaen her to the vet! All occurred in the first month. I was told today by the Pet First Insurance company that they will not reimburse me for any of the $370 that was spent on the Dr and meds! The company had no real reason for this as I provided all of the receipts, forms and Dr's reports, etc. I believe this company is a scam and I will make sure that the NYC Animal Control Center is aware of this when I go there and tell them if Pet First's terrible service. These policies are a waste of NYers taxes! A shame that this company can continue to operate-it is horrible. I will also go on facebook.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/05/2012 02:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pet-First-Insurance-Company/Jeffersonville-Indiana-47130/Pet-First-Insurance-Company-first-month-policy-is-a-scam-Jeffersonville-Indiana-978337. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pet First Insurance Company

cat had no preexisitng conditions

AUTHOR: warren from nyc - (United States of America)

Dear Pet First:

Your rebuttal was not adequate. My cat had no preexisting conditions so you should have paid the claims! Also, I NEVER received any explanation in writng or on the phone of why the claim wsas denied until I called and hunted down a person in your office! What terrible service. You should NOT be in business in this country! i will post a facebook notice to warn others about you! Your type of scam business is why this country is in the mess it is in! Good business used to be profitable based on repeat customers and long time relationships...not anymore! I hope your taxes skyrocket after Obama fixes this country!

PetFirst Strives for Coverage Understanding

AUTHOR: PetFirst Healthcare - (United States of America)

We are sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with PetFirst, as we strive to make sure our policyholders fully understand the coverage their pet has. Our intention is not to mislead our customers in any way, and our coverage exclusions are clearly listed in every policy packet, which is sent to every policyholder at the time of policy activation.

With the free 30-day coverage your pet received from NYCACC, it does not cover any pre-existing conditions. This is consistent with all other pet insurance companies, for if we did cover pre-existing conditions, coverage would be too expensive for any pet owner to afford. Our claims department utilizes the veterinary records submitted with each claim to verify diagnosis and dates when symptoms presented. If the symptoms or condition is present prior to the effective date of the policy, it is considered a pre-existing condition. We never deny a claim without reason, and if a claim is denied, the reason it has been denied is listed on the explanation of benefits accompanying the denial letter sent to the customer.