Complaint Review: Petland

• Submitted: Wed, October 15, 2003
  • Updated: Wed, September 03, 2008

• Reported By:Cedartown Georgia
Petland
110 Hicks Drive SE Rome, Georgia U.S.A.

Petland Lied, Sold mixed breed dog as a pure bred Cairn Terrier Rome Georgia

*Consumer Comment: Buying puppies from pet stores only keeps the cycle going.

*Consumer Comment: The lady is right about petland!!

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Do not confuse Petland with Petsmart.

*Consumer Suggestion: You seem confused. Perhaps it was wrong for Petsmart

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I know that They would have worked something out with you

My husband and I were looking to obtain a Cairn terrier in October 2002. Yes, we had read all of the warnings on the internet against pet stores and puppy mills. I honestly thought, however, that it was just the private breeders getting upset because pet stores cut into their business.

We found a cute Cairn at the local Petland. Once they let us pet him in their "private petting room", we were attached!

I was a little concerned over the appearance of the puppy because I had done a lot of research on this particular breed and knew that they were usually a lot hairier, and maybe even had a larger frame. I asked the store's employees about this and they said that he was still a puppy,and that he would start growing hair "later".

We went back several times to look at him and pet him. Each time the store's employees would talk to the puppy and tell him things like "They don't really like you or they would buy you today," or "Poor thing, you thought you were going to get adopted today."

Finally, we forked over the money to get him (which was twice the amount a private breeder would normally charge). I was hoping that since he was "AKC registered", he really was what they said he was!

We named our little puppy Deacon, and he instantly made his way into our hearts and lives. But as he grew, we came to realize that he was not "pure bred." Of course we loved him a lot and thought he was the cutest thing in the world, but we were upset over paying so much money for a pure bred dog. I got so tired of people asking "What kind of dog is that, a long haired chihuahua?"

We even had a groomer offer to help us get our money back. She said that she had groomed a schnauzer from Petland before that wasn't purebred, and she had helped the owners get a refund.

Although I knew the truth deep down, I kept own thinking that maybe he was a "slow grower." We decided to give him some more time to "evolve." My husband and I agreed to wait until he was a year old and if he still didn't look right we would pursue the issue.

Sadly, our little Deacon died 1 month short of his 1st birthday in a tragic accident. We have missed him so much and his abscence has left a great void in our lives. We didn't have the heart to pursue anything after he died (Although we had plenty of pictures of him for proof). We loved him for who he was, not for what he was supposed to be.

However, from our 1 and only experience with Petland, I have become so outraged with not only Petland, but all stores that sell dogs from puppy mills. I didn't know how I could help in the fight against them, but when I came across this website, I knew I had to tell my story.

If you are considering purchasing a pure bred dog, please, plase, please purchase it from a loving, private breeder!!! Do not be fooled by the lies of those working in pet stores! It does not matter if the dog is AKC registered. It is no gaurantee that the dog is what he is supposed to be!

There are plenty mixed breed dogs in need of a loving home at local animal shelters without having to pay hundreds of dollars for one at a pet store!!!!!!!!!

Bethany
Cedartown, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/15/2003 06:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Petland/Rome-Georgia/Petland-Lied-Sold-mixed-breed-dog-as-a-pure-bred-Cairn-Terrier-Rome-Georgia-69147. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Petland

Buying puppies from pet stores only keeps the cycle going.

AUTHOR: April - (U.S.A.)

as a pet groomer (not for one of the large chains, either) I have seen this soooo many times. I will not get onto my soap box of "Don't show? Don't Breed!" but I will say this. I have watched the owner of a petland flat out lie to customers to get them to buy a dog. When someone made a comment that the puppy didn't look like it's breed, he would calmly explain that puppies sometimes look "different" and that they would grow up to look like that specific breed. Like, this looks like a duck! No, it's a swan, it will grow into a swan. When you buy a puppy from someplace, you are only encouraging the puppy mills to keep breeding and the pet stores to keep selling. Please, go and rescue some nice little doggie from a shelter, petfinder.com, specific breed rescue, or heck, just look in your local free paper!!

The lady is right about petland!!

AUTHOR: J. - (U.S.A.)

I must agree with the lady who bought the dog. The closest petsmart is about an hour away. In Rome they only have 1 pet store of that size and ITS PETLAND. You live so far off that you would have no idea what is here as I would have no idea about your area. But they do that kind of thing all the time. Its not a bad store, but the owners may not be the best. They are a franchise not corprate.

#3 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Do not confuse Petland with Petsmart.

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

Dear Wendy,

Do not confuse Petland with Petsmart. Petland sells puppies from puppymillers. These puppies are born into horrible conditions and live there until at a mere 8 weeks old are put on a truck called Hunte Corporation and driven around the country, scared, cramped and sickly. They arrive at various Petland stores where they are not seen by a vet, and sold to anyone at all. They don't do a backround check. All they care about is the money!

Petsmart as any reputable pet store, does not sell dogs or cats!!! But if you would want to adopt a dog or cat from a shelter or rescue they have groups available there usually on Saturdays. Check the website. You fill out a form and they do a backround check to see if you are qualified. THEY CARE ABOUT THESE ANIMALS.
There is a big difference in the two places! One, Petland contributes to the murderous puppymills, treating animals like an old shoe to be thrown in the corner. Petsmart loves and cares for these animals and insures the animal will go to a loving, caring home.
Kathy

#4 Consumer Suggestion

You seem confused. Perhaps it was wrong for Petsmart

AUTHOR: Wendy - (U.S.A.)

We all get upset when we are misled and feel cheated out of money.

However, in the case of this dog, you admitted that you "fell in love" with him immediately, and that you know have a very loving and loved pet. Isn't that worth more than any amount of money?

Perhaps it was wrong for Petsmart to pass this dog up as a purebred and demand a high price - but i think in this case you should take a deep breath and look at the loving animal you now have in your household, instead of smarting about the money you paid for him.

#5 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I know that They would have worked something out with you

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

Hi! I am sorry to hear about your loss.
I have met the owners of this location. I know that They would have worked something out with you.I n their defense, Sometimes when they get puppies from private breeders ,the breeder will lie just to sell their puppies. Which is really sad.

I worked at a store closer to Atlanta for a year.
I've seen some really horrible things from differant breeders. The owners of the store were pretty good about letting people know that a puppy was either unregistered but full blooded (parents registered , but the breeder did not register the litter) or a mix breed. The owners of this store also did alot more for the health of their animals than I have ever seen in a pet store situation.

Most of the time the puppies were better off with us than with backyard breeders just looking to make a buck.

The kennels are kept sanitized and the animals are kept up to date on wormings , vacs and seen by a Vet as soon as any other problems arise.ALOT goes into taking care of them behind the scences.

Eventually, it did get to me.I ended up having to just quit.It was hard for me to leave because I really loved the location that I worked at and the people I worked with.

What I am saying is maybe the owner really did not know and was mislead themselves.

Again, I really am sorry for what happened in your situation and the loss of your puppy.

#6 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I know that They would have worked something out with you

AUTHOR: Lisa - (U.S.A.)

Hi! I am sorry to hear about your loss.

I worked at a store closer to Atlanta for a year.